Comfort Max, Mark II, Hitzer 254

kodadog
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL Li'L Heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Comfort Max
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Nut
Other Heating: fuel oil

Post by kodadog » Tue. Feb. 22, 2022 7:26 pm

Hello everyone,
So we've been burning with a stoker for awhile and my wife would like us to switch to a hand fed stove next season due to motor noise and electric usage(I'm glad she brought it up before I did). We have been looking at the DS Comfort Max, Legacy Mark II and Hitzer 254. Since we have wood available on our property we'd like to use it occasionally as well. Mostly warmer part of season of course. She likes the aesthetics of the ones listed in the order they are listed. We have a 1200 sq ft ranch moderately insulated. I have been reading many of the old posts and have seen people burning wood no problem and others saying they don't do so well except the DS. Anyone have any input that would help with trying to pick one over the other besides price? The DS is the most expensive at this point with the price increases.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Tue. Feb. 22, 2022 7:33 pm

Get the one you decide you want to burn coal in. Wood is secondary for the choice as they will all be roughly the same with wood. You'll probably end out burning coal in mild weather after figuring out your stove, and less wood then you thought. Coal 1st, wood 2nd. Thats my 2 cents.

Im sure they will all work fine, the models listed. You wont miss the motor noise.

HandFire
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS 110
Coal Size/Type: Stove/Nut

Post by HandFire » Tue. Feb. 22, 2022 7:45 pm

If you want to burn wood in addition to coal, DS hands down.

waytomany?s
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark II
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Looking
Baseburners & Antiques: Looking
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: newmac wood/coal combo furnace

Post by waytomany?s » Tue. Feb. 22, 2022 8:24 pm

warminmn wrote:
Tue. Feb. 22, 2022 7:33 pm
Get the one you decide you want to burn coal in. Wood is secondary for the choice as they will all be roughly the same with wood. You'll probably end out burning coal in mild weather after figuring out your stove, and less wood then you thought. Coal 1st, wood 2nd. Thats my 2 cents.

Im sure they will all work fine, the models listed. You wont miss the motor noise.
Plus 1. I like my Mark II, it's fair with wood. Better with coal, obviously. I won't say I hate burning wood in it, but I don't prefer it. That sounds worse than I intend, but I'm picky about placing the pieces of wood and it isn't exactly a just toss it in scenario.

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Tue. Feb. 22, 2022 9:18 pm

I do believe Oliver Power might have a few cents to lay on the table as he’s had all three brands of stoves.

Hey...Oliver!!!!

kodadog

Post by kodadog » Wed. Feb. 23, 2022 2:53 pm

warminmn wrote:
Tue. Feb. 22, 2022 7:33 pm

Thank you for the replies. Yes I understand coal as first priority. The way things are going with prices of other resources I want to make sure I can effectively use what I already own if needed. I would use coal the majority of time as it is easier overall. I'm skeptical of prices in the future and will be on limited income in the next few years.

warminmn

Post by warminmn » Wed. Feb. 23, 2022 3:12 pm

Yes, its anyones guess as to where prices are going to be in a year or 10. Unless freight goes back down I might not be burning much coal myself, being 1000 miles from the mines. So Im hoping it does go down. :)

Here propane is the main heating fuel outside of towns but in the east where anthracite is its oil and NG (if available). If oil and NG are real high coal will probably go up because of supply/demand and if the other fuels go down so will coal, not counting freight of course. Some only burn coal when other fuels are high. It never hurts to have a pile of wood, unless you sell it to buy coal. Some here do that.

kodadog

Post by kodadog » Wed. Feb. 23, 2022 3:26 pm

Yes agreed.
Here NG has doubled and oil has almost tripled. My electric supply charge just went up 130% this month as I just opened the bill a min ago. Reinforcing the move to a hand fed even more. I did just sharpen and service both my saws in anticipation last night in the garage.

I'm finding the DS to be too expensive compared to the other 2. The Mark II may be the winner now.

warminmn

Post by warminmn » Wed. Feb. 23, 2022 4:07 pm

kodadog wrote:
Wed. Feb. 23, 2022 3:26 pm
Yes agreed.
Here NG has doubled and oil has almost tripled. My electric supply charge just went up 130% this month as I just opened the bill a min ago. Reinforcing the move to a hand fed even more. I did just sharpen and service both my saws in anticipation last night in the garage.

I'm finding the DS to be too expensive compared to the other 2. The Mark II may be the winner now.

For giggles, check Facebook marketplace and craigslist for used ones in your area. They are sometimes 1/3 to 1/2 the price of new once used. But I also understand wanting to buy new. Im sure all 3 are good stoves.

kodadog

Post by kodadog » Wed. Feb. 23, 2022 4:15 pm

warminmn wrote:
Wed. Feb. 23, 2022 4:07 pm
For giggles, check Facebook marketplace and craigslist for used ones in your area. They are sometimes 1/3 to 1/2 the price of new once used. But I also understand wanting to buy new. Im sure all 3 are good stoves.
Yeah I have been actually. The one thing the Hitzer has the Mark II doesn't is a sliding damper built in.

kodadog

Post by kodadog » Wed. Feb. 23, 2022 4:17 pm

and bimetallic air too

kodadog

Post by kodadog » Wed. Feb. 23, 2022 4:21 pm

I did find a Mark III 6hrs away for a grand on FB

warminmn

Post by warminmn » Wed. Feb. 23, 2022 4:53 pm

The Harman looks nicer. Hitzer is plain jane, Amish made. Bimetallic's are nice and a big plus. Im not going to try to guess which one of the 2 is the best as Ive had neither one... Well I could but I wont as they would both be fine.

There are a LOT of subjects here on the site about each stove to help you decide.

Hounds51
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 2 Legacy TLC 2000 one in the upper and 1 in the lower part of the house
Coal Size/Type: Wood and pea, nut ,stove and egg coal

Post by Hounds51 » Wed. Feb. 23, 2022 5:18 pm

kodadog wrote:
Wed. Feb. 23, 2022 4:21 pm
I did find a Mark III 6hrs away for a grand on FB
Too much ! Offer him $800 and only if it's in good shape. Check the upper baffle and the grates. If there ok, you know it wasn't over fired. But around here the going price is $800 for a good one. Not sure were your located but a good used one can go any ware from $500 on up to $800 depending on the condition of the stove.

kodadog

Post by kodadog » Wed. Feb. 23, 2022 5:29 pm

Yeah it's also quite large and needs more clearances which make it a bit difficult.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”