New guy with Hitzer 50-93

Showrguy
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Other Heating: Blaze King-King Ultra

Post by Showrguy » Tue. Feb. 22, 2022 1:05 pm

Hello fellas, recently swapped out my Blaze King Princess and installed this Hitzer 50-93 in my garage/shop/nam cave…

Ran it a few days after reading/searching on here..
Stove was running awful warm, so I replaced the hopper door gasket, and also got the slider plate in the ash door tightened up, did not restart yet, it’s really quite warm here for the next day and a half..
Can I run this thing really low ?? It’s 50 deg. here, 61 deg. tomorrow, then it’ll cool off for awhile..

Still have a Blaze King King Ultra running in the house

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Tue. Feb. 22, 2022 2:46 pm

Welcome to the FORUM S--Should be able to--you're down to tinkerin now--if all else fails--WINDOW-STATS!! :) How big is your shop,etc!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Tue. Feb. 22, 2022 3:00 pm

Burning a hand fed Hitzer here. Guy local to me has 2012 used Ultra with a new CAT installed in it.

12 hr burn times on 6 - 5” splits with ease and coals left over...with three splits left not even charred.

24 hr burn times when ever he wants on the same 6 splits.

45 hour burn times with ease on little more than half to 3/4 of a full load...and that with a full belly of ash 9” deep. He can burn nearly a month without cleaning it out much at all.

He empties ash way less often than I do.

His stove pipe and thimble temps nearly match my coal stove. I’m thoroughly impressed for a wood stove. All this time he’s been sending me pictures to verify it all. Former anthracite burner and Chubby owner too.

Needless to say I’m impressed with the Blaze King King Ultra.

Showrguy

Post by Showrguy » Tue. Feb. 22, 2022 3:39 pm

Fred, shop is 30x62 with 2- 18’ garage doors rated at R-11, 3-36” man doors, and 5-36x60 windows..
10’ ceilings fairly well insulated, but definitely not “tight”..
Also just checked, and the glass is tight, door gasket is tight all around also..
Last culprit leads to shaker handle area, and I got a plan for that if need be,,

Hoytman,
Yea the king is pretty impressive for a woodstove, many people don’t believe those burn times, but they can certainly be achieved.

Hounds51
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 2 Legacy TLC 2000 one in the upper and 1 in the lower part of the house
Coal Size/Type: Wood and pea, nut ,stove and egg coal

Post by Hounds51 » Tue. Feb. 22, 2022 5:05 pm

This is to Hoytman and not to be mean, I just think Coal is another way to go, and here's why
With a new CAT installed. I bet those cost a pretty penny? I heard those Cat's ain't cheap. I think that if your young enough and have free wood sources, there is nothing wrong with burning wood. Once upon a time I was young and all I burned was wood. Why not, as all I had to do was buy gas for the saw. Heck at one time I even split wood by hand. (Had back surgery twice, by the way) Even got up every two to four hours to feed the fire. Those were the days When a man was a man and not the present days where a man is an old man. I only seriously started burning coal over the last 4 to 5 years. Before that it was either wood and or coal.
I met a young guy this last Sunday, when we went to buy my brothers used Hitzer 503 from him. I asked the guy why he took it out of his fireplace and he told me that he wanted a wood burner. He bragged to me that he paid over 4 grand for it. I said nothing, but I thought to myself. Man don't you know you can burn wood in a coal stove, but you can't burn coal in a wood stove. I thought to myself that in a few years he might make it to my age and probably by then cutting wood will be off the table and then he will be looking for a coal insert.
Just My Two Cents

But to Showerguy, welcome aboard

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Tue. Feb. 22, 2022 6:33 pm

Sometimes Billy does get carried away H---:) S, if that plan on the shaker handle involves a washer--it should help a lot. Takes some tinkerin though. Keep us updated! You're doin all the right things. What temp ya tryin to keep your man-cave? Would ya believe the stove looked as shiny as them thar eco-fans 6 mos. ago!! :lol:

Attachments

001.JPG
.JPG | 44.9KB | 001.JPG
002.JPG
.JPG | 39.1KB | 002.JPG
Last edited by freetown fred on Tue. Feb. 22, 2022 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Showrguy

Post by Showrguy » Tue. Feb. 22, 2022 6:55 pm

I try to keep the garage 70-74, the woodstove did fine, but looking to scroll back on the wood..
I built this house 20 years ago, heated for almost 15 years with an OWB and radiant floor heat throughout the entire 5600 (open floor plan) house..
Weelllll, now I’m 55 and the OWB was alot of work, and a hell of alot of wood..
I’m burning an average of 4 cords a year in the KING, compared to 12-20 in the OWB..
Heard great things about this stove from a previous member @hearth (webby3650), don’t know if he posts here or not ??
I'm going through some lower back issues the last almost 2 years, so my saws have’nt seen much fuel..
I’m thinking the Hitzer will fit the bill for the garage, and possibly add a second in the house depending on what an MRI shows in the near future..

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Tue. Feb. 22, 2022 9:07 pm

The most important thing is keepin the heat movin so it don't just lump up in one spot. Those eco-fans aren't hurricane strength, but they keep the heat movin around!! :) Good luck with the MRI my friend--

Showrguy

Post by Showrguy » Thu. Feb. 24, 2022 10:18 am

Anyone know if the shaker frame is freefloating ?
Mine seems to be slid toward the front and right a bit, keeping a few of the bricks from setting inside the 1/4” lip..

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Thu. Feb. 24, 2022 11:06 am

You should be able to move it slightly, but you'll likely have to remove the bricks and use a heavy built, long, flat screwdriver or pry bar to move it. I know in my Hitzer 354 that is what I did and they're virtually the same stove except for the hopper.

Showrguy

Post by Showrguy » Thu. Feb. 24, 2022 11:24 am

Thanks Bill,
That’s what I was hoping to hear..

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Thu. Feb. 24, 2022 4:48 pm

Long as she's flat & grates work smooth--don't over-think all this--KISS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Showrguy

Post by Showrguy » Fri. Feb. 25, 2022 3:59 pm

So, I fired this stove back up yesterday, and have a few questions I can’t find answers for..
Since yesterday I have had it just cruising at 325 just above and to the right of loading door handle… so, I was wondering how low can I actually set this thing and not loose my fire ??
Chimney is double wall of of the stove, 7’ to ceiling support box, then 8’ of s/s all fuel, about 15’ total..

Other question is, when I shake down, hopper drops coal obviously, should I be raking it out flat or let it go like it’s been running ?? If I rake it out flat that’d add another few inches everywhere other than right under the hopper..
Hope I described these questions clear enough !!
Thank you all for holding my hand, while learning this stove…

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Fri. Feb. 25, 2022 5:28 pm

S, how far above your roof ridge is your chimney? I'll give some other answers when ya answer that. PS--not a problem, we've all been there.

Showrguy

Post by Showrguy » Fri. Feb. 25, 2022 5:40 pm

The house has what I’ll call a wrap around porch on 3 sides, that roof profile follows above my garage, so the stack is essentially going through a 1st floor porch roof, if that makes sense..
Chimney cap is roughly 6’ above the shingles..bowt 8’ from houses 2nd floor..

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”