Franklin Coal

oliver power
Stoker Coal Boiler: KEYSTOKER Kaa-2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93 & 30-95, Vigilant (pre-2310), D.S. 1600 Circulator, Hitzer 254

Post by oliver power » Mon. Jan. 24, 2022 8:48 pm

Anyone heard of it before? It is NICE looking coal. Black & Glassy. Very clean as well. Has a big picture of Ben Franklin on the bag. I'd post a picture but my e-mail is all messed up. I can text a picture for someone else to post. Need a number though....
Last edited by oliver power on Mon. Jan. 24, 2022 9:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Mon. Jan. 24, 2022 9:01 pm

Isn't that what you're supposed to use in Franklin stoves ? :D

Paul

FirstcoalstokerRon
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S-130
Coal Size/Type: pea/anthracite

Post by FirstcoalstokerRon » Tue. Jan. 25, 2022 9:10 am

oliver power wrote:
Mon. Jan. 24, 2022 8:48 pm
Anyone heard of it before? It is NICE looking coal. Black & Glassy. Very clean as well. Has a big picture of Ben Franklin on the bag. I'd post a picture but my e-mail is all messed up. I can text a picture for someone else to post. Need a numberi though....
I just bought two skids of pea coal one skid was Blaschack the 2nd skid was Franklin I was told the Franklin was Blaschack bagged with the Franklin name. I do not know much about coal mining or how the types of coal burn, but I have been burning Blaschack for about 4 or 5 years and the Franklin for about 6 days, it seems to burn the same as Blaschack so far. If you learn more I hope you post it. I found a phone number on the Franklin bag it is 570 462 2023 maybe you can get more info from them. THANKS!!
Last edited by FirstcoalstokerRon on Tue. Jan. 25, 2022 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Tue. Jan. 25, 2022 9:35 am

FirstcoalstokerRon wrote:
Tue. Jan. 25, 2022 9:10 am
I just bought two skids of pea coal one skid was Blashchak the 2nd skid was Franklin I was told the Franklin was Blashchak bagged with the Franklin name. I do not know much about coal mining or how the types of coal burn, but I have been burning Blashchak for about 4 or 5 years and the franklin for about 6 days, it seems to burn the same as Blashchak so far. If you learn more I hope you post it. I found a phone number on the Franklin bag it is 570 462 2023 maybe you can get more info from them. THANKS!!
Thanks Ron. A web search says that phone number is one for Blaschak.

Paul

FirstcoalstokerRon

Post by FirstcoalstokerRon » Tue. Jan. 25, 2022 9:46 am

Thanks Paul as I said I was told it is the same, just not sure why the different name.

Hounds51
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 2 Legacy TLC 2000 one in the upper and 1 in the lower part of the house
Coal Size/Type: Wood and pea, nut ,stove and egg coal

Post by Hounds51 » Tue. Jan. 25, 2022 11:19 am

Tue. Jan. 25, 2022 9:10 am
I just bought two skids of pea coal one skid was Blaschack the 2nd skid was Franklin I was told the Franklin was Blaschack bagged with the Franklin name. I do not know much about coal mining or how the types of coal burn, but I have been burning Blaschack for about 4 or 5 years and the Franklin for about 6 days, it seems to burn the same as Blaschack so far. If you learn more I hope you post it. I found a phone number on the Franklin bag it is 570 462 2023 maybe you can get more info from them. THANKS!!
Here's what I know about Franklin. Years ago there used to be a Franklin breaker located in Revine, Pa. Which is located just north of Pine Grove and south of Tremont, Pa. My brother and I used to get our coal from that breaker, and it was a very popular breaker for folks in the area. I know that they were handling Blaschack coal the Santa Claus brand and I was told by the way station manager that this breaker was a subsidiary of Blaschack coal. I think they shut down the breaker in the early 2000's. My brother and I would go up there and get 3/4 to a ton in his old 1968 Chevy 1/2 ton pickup. That truck was a six banger and had no power steering and the old drum breaks on it. We would barely make it up the mountain, and the trip on the way down was a white knuckle experience, due to the sledge hammer drum brakes. Needless to say we only did it once a year. At that time we burned mostly wood, and would save the coal for only the most bitter days. Those were the day's of young and dumb. I can't seem to find an old load sheet, but I do have a business card that was given to me. I can't find the date on the card, but as you can see they were only charging $140.00 a ton and the oil charge was $5.00. I am not sure if they reopened the breaker, or just took the name and started up a new breaker somewhere else but it was Blaschack coal, and was a very good quality. Here are some pictures of their old business card.

Attachments

DSCF1336.JPG
.JPG | 261.5KB | DSCF1336.JPG
DSCF1344.JPG
.JPG | 422KB | DSCF1344.JPG
DSCF1346.JPG
.JPG | 367.3KB | DSCF1346.JPG

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Tue. Jan. 25, 2022 11:52 am

New for 2021-2022
Western PA
New Wilmington

Also similar banners for Blaschak and Lehigh.

FirstcoalstokerRon

Post by FirstcoalstokerRon » Tue. Jan. 25, 2022 11:58 am

That is where I get my coal. Nice people !!!

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Tue. Jan. 25, 2022 12:05 pm

Tue. Jan. 25, 2022 11:58 am
That is where I get my coal. Nice people !!!
That’s where I figured you had gotten yours also.

FirstcoalstokerRon

Post by FirstcoalstokerRon » Tue. Jan. 25, 2022 12:12 pm

Was you that told me about them, so I say thanks again. I have not found anyone else close so I hope they always have pea coal

Hounds51
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 2 Legacy TLC 2000 one in the upper and 1 in the lower part of the house

Post by Hounds51 » Tue. Jan. 25, 2022 12:29 pm

FirstcoalstokerRon » Tue. Jan. 25, 2022 9:10 am

. If you learn more I hope you post it. I found a phone number on the Franklin bag it is 570 462 2023 maybe you can get more info from them. THANKS!!

I tried calling that number numerous times and all I get is an answering machine. I don't talk to answering machines.
What I do find that is strange is the 570 area code is located in northeast/central Pa. Which covers the Pine Grove to Wellsboro section of Pa. Also covers the coal area of Pottsville and north area.
I will keep trying that phone number, as I am interested in this new Franklin brand coal.

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Tue. Jan. 25, 2022 12:38 pm

Hounds51 wrote:
Tue. Jan. 25, 2022 12:29 pm
FirstcoalstokerRon » Tue. Jan. 25, 2022 9:10 am

. If you learn more I hope you post it. I found a phone number on the Franklin bag it is 570 462 2023 maybe you can get more info from them. THANKS!!

I tried calling that number numerous times and all I get is an answering machine. I don't talk to answering machines.
What I do find that is strange is the 570 area code is located in northeast/central Pa. Which covers the Pine Grove to Wellsboro section of Pa. Also covers the coal area of Pottsville and north area.
I will keep trying that phone number, as I am interested in this new Franklin brand coal.

As I posted above, the number is listed as one of Blaschak's in Mahanoy.

My closest dealer sells Blaschak bagged and bulk. I need to call him anyway, so I'll ask him what he knows.

Paul

Hounds51

Post by Hounds51 » Tue. Jan. 25, 2022 12:57 pm

Sunny Boy wrote:
Tue. Jan. 25, 2022 12:38 pm
As I posted above, the number is listed as one of Blaschak's in Mahanoy.

My closest dealer sells Blaschak bagged and bulk. I need to call him anyway, so I'll ask him what he knows.

Paul
Thanks. I would appreciate that.

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Tue. Jan. 25, 2022 1:06 pm

I see member "Blaschak Coal" has logged on. Maybe he can tell us more about it ?

Paul

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Tue. Jan. 25, 2022 7:17 pm

Hounds51 wrote:
Tue. Jan. 25, 2022 12:29 pm
Then you will never get coal. :D

Every coal supplier I know of doesn't have time to drive to the breaker to get coal, tend the coal yard, deliver coal to local homes and answer the phone this time of year. They're pretty frigg'in busy right now. My current coal supplier will return some phone calls at lunch break and the rest late in the evening when they have finished deliveries.

Leave a message and be patient. They will get back to you.

-Don

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”