Coal quality

Fire Plug
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark III
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut

Post by Fire Plug » Tue. Jan. 25, 2022 3:12 pm

Picked up a load on Saturday from Pennsylvania Premium just down the road from Lehigh. For more than 30 years I was a 1 match club member until today...Large unburnt clinker, blocked grates, what a mess. Cleaned the stove out and started a wood fire for now. Going home and digging out the new load I just put in the bin.
Premium said they would contact me in the morning after I called them this afternoon. We'll see how this plays out.

Dreamcatcher
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Alaska kodiak

Post by Dreamcatcher » Tue. Jan. 25, 2022 3:34 pm

I think I was reading that they guarantee there coal they have good prices Better stay away from them

cArNaGe

Post by cArNaGe » Wed. Jan. 26, 2022 6:50 am

Rob R. wrote:
Wed. Jan. 19, 2022 8:09 am
I have been burning Lehigh coal for about 10 years and had zero issues with it until this year. I am into some of it right now that is producing large ash cakes in my EFM (a first for me) and creating a lot of ash. The ash tubs feel like they are full of stone. My dad said the same thing, although he just got into a new pallet of coal from the same load and said it is excellent.
I've experienced the same thing. Mine plugged up like I didn't empty the ashes. I thought it was from some coal I bought at Agels. But I guess not. I picked up 3 tons of reading that's running good. I only bought the Reading because it was close and only $45 more. I guess I'll be going back to get more.

Homesteader
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark II
Coal Size/Type: Nut, Stove
Other Heating: H.B. Smith oil fired boiler

Post by Homesteader » Wed. Jan. 26, 2022 7:54 am

Hi Homesteader, I'm also in NW CT, Colebrook area. I also use the Lehigh from Rob in Bantam, with the handle on them. I've been using a screener that I made, to sift the coal ever since some of the TSC coal I got few years ago. So now I screen every bag, then dump into 5 gal. pails. I have noticed more fines this year and also some frozen up chunks in the bags, I do think the plastic bags seal in the moisture then freeze, one year I cut slices in the bags to try and air them out might have worked a little.
I also get my coal from Rob. I wonder if he's gotten any complaints from other customers. I may text him about that. That said he should be the one to contact Leigh directly to see what's up and what will they do to correct it in the future. I'm sure that he doesn't lose any customers.
There are a lot of people happy with their coal. I am not about to boycott them but it would be nice to know if their coal will not be the same above average product it was in the past.
I feel the same way Rob. If they address people's concerns and it sounds genuine I would like to stay with them. They need to reach out to their dealers that are recieving complaints. I'm just not going to put up with this in the future if it does'nt get addressed. Burning coal should be easy not the messy dealing with this stuff that I am dealing with now.

LehighanthraciteMatt
Verified Business Rep.
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning
Coal Size/Type: Rice,Buck, and Nut

Post by LehighanthraciteMatt » Wed. Jan. 26, 2022 3:41 pm

Anyone who is having a quality issue with Lehigh please call Jeff at (570) 527-8472.
Thanks,

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Wed. Jan. 26, 2022 4:52 pm

Thanx Matt. I knew ya were out there somewhere---LOL

LehighanthraciteMatt
Verified Business Rep.
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning
Coal Size/Type: Rice,Buck, and Nut

Post by LehighanthraciteMatt » Wed. Jan. 26, 2022 7:10 pm

freetown fred wrote:
Wed. Jan. 26, 2022 4:52 pm
Thanx Matt. I knew ya were out there somewhere---LOL
Yes sir, just a busy time of year in the coal industry. My phone number has been posted here for years and our number is on the bags. Anytime there is a problem, we expect a phone call as we can’t fix a problem we don’t know about.

waytomany?s
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark II
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Looking
Baseburners & Antiques: Looking
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: newmac wood/coal combo furnace

Post by waytomany?s » Wed. Jan. 26, 2022 9:09 pm

LehighanthraciteMatt wrote:
Wed. Jan. 26, 2022 7:10 pm
Yes sir, just a busy time of year in the coal industry. My phone number has been posted here for years and our number is on the bags. Anytime there is a problem, we expect a phone call as we can’t fix a problem we don’t know about.
Sometimes it's tough to see the other side. You said it plain as day though.

Dreamcatcher

Post by Dreamcatcher » Wed. Jan. 26, 2022 10:19 pm

Sounds like a stand up guy

Homesteader
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark II
Coal Size/Type: Nut, Stove
Other Heating: H.B. Smith oil fired boiler

Post by Homesteader » Thu. Jan. 27, 2022 9:24 am

Thanks Matt, I'll give that number a call.

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Thu. Jan. 27, 2022 9:39 am

LehighanthraciteMatt wrote:
Wed. Jan. 26, 2022 7:10 pm
Going to be giving my next 4 years business to Lehigh...and spread the love around. :lol: Of course, it’ll take me my 4th year to burn all of my Blashak before I can get started.

Blashak has been good to me this far. Just want to try something else for awhile. My supplier carries both.
Last edited by Hoytman on Thu. Jan. 27, 2022 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fire Plug

Post by Fire Plug » Thu. Jan. 27, 2022 10:59 am

Fire Plug wrote:
Tue. Jan. 25, 2022 3:12 pm
Picked up a load on Saturday from Pennsylvania Premium just down the road from Lehigh. For more than 30 years I was a 1 match club member until today...Large unburnt clinker, blocked grates, what a mess. Cleaned the stove out and started a wood fire for now. Going home and digging out the new load I just put in the bin.
Premium said they would contact me in the morning after I called them this afternoon. We'll see how this plays out.
Heard back from Pennsylvania Premium today. They offered a replacement load at no cost. I believe that's fair and shows good customer service for standing up for their product.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Thu. Jan. 27, 2022 12:02 pm

Yep, fair indeed F!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Dreamcatcher

Post by Dreamcatcher » Thu. Jan. 27, 2022 2:33 pm

How does it burn except jamming up your grate and how mush is it a ton I agree fair deal good PR

Fire Plug

Post by Fire Plug » Thu. Jan. 27, 2022 3:16 pm

It never really burnt. It turned off white but stayed about the same size as when I put it in the fire box.
At the next tending I had white rocks in the fire box. Also in never really lit off with any volatiles.
I loaded .8 of a ton, it was 144.00.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”