Help please

robschertz
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Warm morning 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Heateeola junior

Post by robschertz » Mon. Jan. 17, 2022 1:17 pm

K I am sick of not being able to get a good nights sleep. I first tried a oil burner and damn near killed myself. So I bought a couple coal stoves at least I think they are from research because up here in WI. They are all listed as wood stoves. My question is in the warm morning 520 I want to burn wood until bedtime then throw some $7 a bag tractor supply nut coal on to keep warm till morning is this idea feasible?

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Mon. Jan. 17, 2022 1:26 pm

robschertz wrote:
Mon. Jan. 17, 2022 1:17 pm
My question is in the warm morning 520 I want to burn wood until bedtime then throw some $7 a bag tractor supply nut coal on to keep warm till morning is this idea feasible?
You could do it, but it's not going to work that well. The settings you need to burn wood are very different than the settings for Anthracite. A big Warm Morning stove should be able to burn from about 12 to 24 hours on a load of Anthracite. Switching to wood in the day would be a problem for the coal fire.

-Don

grumpy

Post by grumpy » Mon. Jan. 17, 2022 1:37 pm

I don’t burn coal often, why ? Because it takes a little effort and time to get a good coal fire going, when you do your going to want to keep it going.

Switching back and forth is something your only going to do once.

btarby15
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite, Stove
Other Heating: Heatmor 100CB

Post by btarby15 » Mon. Jan. 17, 2022 2:46 pm

I tried burning both in my outdoor boiler, doesn't work great. Wood and coal are two different animals. Coal needs strictly underneath air, while wood can have both under and over grate air. I found that wood ash prohibited my coal from burning efficiently.

robschertz

Post by robschertz » Mon. Jan. 17, 2022 4:15 pm

The reason I trying this is I have wood need to buy the coal. Just looking to be able to get a good nights sleep and not freeze

robschertz

Post by robschertz » Mon. Jan. 17, 2022 4:26 pm

I also purchased a heaterola junior but it need a little love before I use it. Would that model give me Betters luck? I'm thinking it will be a pain getting wood in there though.

robschertz

Post by robschertz » Mon. Jan. 17, 2022 4:35 pm

Also wondering if this thing they made before me to convert oval to round venting is going to be problematic?

Attachments

IMG_20220116_192257.jpg
.JPG | 341.2KB | IMG_20220116_192257.jpg

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Mon. Jan. 17, 2022 5:12 pm

That model of warm morning is supposed to work awful good with anthracite coal if the firebricks are in good shape inside. It should still work if the corners are broken up inside, just not as good. It will work better with coal than the Heaterola. I guess if that concoction of a stove pipe adapter isnt rusted thru it might be ok.

Make sure the grate is in good shape in the warm morning and no holes rusted thru in the barrel. You dont want air leaks with anthracite. And make sure the TSC coal is dry. Put in a pail a day or two to dry it before using. TSC can sometimes be very wet and sometimes its ok.

As already said, use one or the other, wood or coal.

robschertz

Post by robschertz » Mon. Jan. 17, 2022 7:55 pm

Would the heaterola burn less coal as it is smaller and has that upper air (gas) displacement tubes in it? I not heating all that big of a space right now. And again limited funds and coal prices around here aren't cheap at least currently

warminmn

Post by warminmn » Mon. Jan. 17, 2022 8:28 pm

I dont know. I do think it "might" be harder to seal up air tight than the other stove. Coal has went up this year. Whether it comes down again we dont know yet. Its the freight that's doing it at distant locations from the mines. But its up at the mines too.

You should be able to burn wood in either one if they have some small issues. Coal maybe not.

robschertz

Post by robschertz » Mon. Jan. 17, 2022 10:14 pm

If I need less heat and trying to conserve coal could I make firepot smaller with fire bricks? I have some patio brick (no holes) could they work for that? The heaterola junior inside seams pretty good the problems it has are one leg broke. Shaker arm broke. Ash door hinge brackets broke. My buddy will be trying to weld them pieces up once I can remove them. What about some of that softer coal from Illinois. As its a little over 100 a ton less here. How long of a fire can a person excpect from that stuff?

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Tue. Jan. 18, 2022 12:41 am

We like to say "Sell your firewood to buy your coal"

That way you only use one match per heating season as the coal goes on and on!

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Tue. Jan. 18, 2022 7:56 am

A big +1 on that R!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) Either of those stoves will serve you well--just be safe!! YES--the WM is an outstanding stove.
Last edited by freetown fred on Tue. Jan. 18, 2022 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

warminmn

Post by warminmn » Tue. Jan. 18, 2022 8:54 am

The soft coal you can mix with wood so maybe it will work better or you, but the price is no bargain as anthracite will have more heat per $. But I do think you need to do a lot of reading on this site about burning coal. Theres a search bar on top to search for your stove models. And make sure you have a working carbon monoxide alarm as coal has a lot of it. And Im still casting a vote for the Warm Morning over the other stove.

Hounds51
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 2 Legacy TLC 2000 one in the upper and 1 in the lower part of the house
Coal Size/Type: Wood and pea, nut ,stove and egg coal

Post by Hounds51 » Tue. Jan. 18, 2022 10:53 am

robschertz wrote:
Mon. Jan. 17, 2022 4:15 pm
The reason I trying this is I have wood need to buy the coal. Just looking to be able to get a good nights sleep and not freeze
For a good nights sleep, BURN COAL!!!!

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”