Hitzer 30-95 First start up-temp drop?

fpappal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 30-95
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite/nut

Post by fpappal » Sat. Jan. 15, 2022 5:41 pm

Hello,
Finally got cold her in NY so I fired up my basement Hitzer yesterday. My temp has dropped by 100 degrees and I am not sure why. Here is a list of my conditions once all the coal was burning well. After the coal was burning I adjusted the draft box on the back side to the middle setting of 8. Manual damper is mainly open, at about the 2 oclock position, baro is around .06
Everything has been constant for the most part. The outside temperature has been -5F to currently 1F. The baro has dropped a bit, but it is still .03. Currently the coal looks great, the whole bed is glowing a nice red, but temp is still down 100 degrees. Any thoughts? I am totally new to coal. Last year was my first attempt and I only got 4 days until the temps got too warm. I am taking the temp using an IR thermometer in the upper left corner above the main glass door. Thank you.

6:30pm 342F
7:00pm 300F
8:00pm 311F
9:30pm 316F
10:47pm 313F
5:454am 292F - First shake, hopper was about 2/3 empty
7:18am 390F
11:00am 340F
12:30pm 340F
3:00pm 240F - second shake, hopper was about 2/3 empty
4:00pm 240F
5:00pm 240F

waytomany?s
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark II
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Looking
Baseburners & Antiques: Looking
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: newmac wood/coal combo furnace

Post by waytomany?s » Sat. Jan. 15, 2022 5:51 pm

Need more shaking. Orange glow all across ash pan when your done shaking? Only burning a third of hopper is not much. I'm thinking you have a lot of ash in there still.

fpappal

Post by fpappal » Sat. Jan. 15, 2022 6:24 pm

When I open the hopper, about 2/3 of the hopper is empty after around 12 hours. I did shake until I saw the ash pan glowing from one end to another. I will give it a better shake next time. Since I wrote this question I opened the vents in the ash door a little bit more and the temp has gone up to 262F. They are about half open at this point. Thanks for the reply, makes sense that I still have ash that needs to go.

rberq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300 with hopper
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Nut
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators (fuel oil); propane

Post by rberq » Sat. Jan. 15, 2022 11:00 pm

If you look through the ash door after a good shaking, you should see a red glow through most of the holes in the cast iron grates. If you don't, then the holes are plugged with ash. It can be cleared by poking up through the grate holes from underneath, with a rod with a right-angle bend on the business end -- just three inches or so to get through the grate thickness. My poker is made from an old paint roller handle, straightened out and then bent at the end. You may have to clear the holes every time you shake down -- I do. It's a little inconvenient because you kind of have to stand on your head.

When you say the "draft box on the back" I assume you mean the bi-metal thermostat? There's no reason you can't turn that up for more heat, though I doubt that is your problem now. .06 baro is fine. Maybe open the manual pipe damper all the way until you get the rest of it figured out -- personally I see no need for it and have never had one, but opinions on that differ dramatically. :lol:

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sun. Jan. 16, 2022 7:35 am

F, what all are you trying to heat with the 30-95?? She's about the smallest hand fed that HITZER makes. How well are ya insulated--block walls--sq. footage, etc.??????

fpappal

Post by fpappal » Sun. Jan. 16, 2022 3:58 pm

I have a new house with a 2000 sq ft well insulated basement with walkout. I am using the stove for some heat in the basement only. This little Hitzer is maintaining 70 to 72 degrees with no problem. It has been -5 to 15 F the last two days. Occasionally it gets a little sluggish but from what I have read on this forum it is most likely ash build up. I will try the paint roller trick, actually just bought one at the dollar store. I will adjust the bi-metallic control on the back, maybe it up to 9. Thanks for the replies. I am very new to this.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sun. Jan. 16, 2022 4:54 pm

F, take a poker & clean the edges in the fire box real good on occasion--you'll see the build up. Regular shaking will deal with the rest--9 is not that big of a deal.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”