Broken grate in Locke 120

fig
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF360
Hand Fed Coal Stove: T.O.M (Warm Morning converted to baseburner by Steve) Round Oak 1917 Door model O-3, Warm Morning 400, Warm Morning 524, Warm Morning 414,Florence No.77, Warm Morning 523-b
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 7.1/DS Machine basement stove/ Harman SF1500
Baseburners & Antiques: Renown Parlor stove 87B
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous/anthracite
Other Heating: Harman Accentra, enviro omega, Vermont Ironworks Elm stove, Quadrafire Mt Vernon, Logwood stove, Sotz barrel stove,

Post by fig » Tue. Jan. 11, 2022 9:03 am

:x I went to shake down this morning. Slid the grate one way. It seemed to have more resistance then usual tried bringing it back. No go. The whole stove about slid an inch on the hearth when I pulled back. I was hoping there was a rock stuck somewhere. Got the flashlight out and found a break in the round grate. It looks like I’m going on a search for a Locke 120 grate if anyone has any leads.

waytomany?s
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark II
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Looking
Baseburners & Antiques: Looking
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: newmac wood/coal combo furnace

Post by waytomany?s » Sat. Jan. 15, 2022 7:58 am

Any luck with the grate?

waytomany?s

Post by waytomany?s » Sat. Jan. 15, 2022 8:01 am

Appliance factory parts dot com has one for $126.

waytomany?s

Post by waytomany?s » Sat. Jan. 15, 2022 8:03 am

Break like a crack? Or a chunk out of it? You think it could be welded? I'd hate to see tom out of commission.

fig
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF360
Hand Fed Coal Stove: T.O.M (Warm Morning converted to baseburner by Steve) Round Oak 1917 Door model O-3, Warm Morning 400, Warm Morning 524, Warm Morning 414,Florence No.77, Warm Morning 523-b
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 7.1/DS Machine basement stove/ Harman SF1500
Baseburners & Antiques: Renown Parlor stove 87B
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous/anthracite
Other Heating: Harman Accentra, enviro omega, Vermont Ironworks Elm stove, Quadrafire Mt Vernon, Logwood stove, Sotz barrel stove,

Post by fig » Sat. Jan. 15, 2022 10:30 am

I have a replacement in the works. I just have to go pick it up. Yeh it’s a clean break.

A few weeks ago I fell asleep after loading with the ash vent wide open. I normally set my phone alarm for ten minutes while I’m waiting but I forgot this time.

The magnetic thermometer fell off the stove and that’s what woke me up. The fire inside was white hot. Toms three round windows looked like laser beams. The roaring noise it was making was very surprising. Nothing was glowing red on the outside fortunately. It was 97 degrees in the room the stove is in.

As it was cooling down I heard a peculiar pop. I thought one of the windows had cracked. The next morning I shook the grates and they worked normally. All seemed fine for a while. I thought I escaped unscathed until I didn’t.

I suspect the grate must have cracked and that’s the pop I heard. Then it finally turned into a clean break. Maybe something hard got in there and helped the crack break while I was shaking.

Welding cast iron is tricky to be done correctly and the results are hit or miss. To be done right it has to be preheated to a certain temperature, welded with the high nickel alloy and the most critical part is the cooling process. It has to cool down very slowly. Ideally this is done in a heat treat oven where the temperature can be lowered very slowly at a specific rate over a long period of time. I have access to one but unfortunately the grate is too big for it. Alternatively it can wrapped in a weld blanket and left to cool or buried in sand but this is hit or miss. It still can cool too quickly.

Then there’s the application to be considered. This is something that is going to be in a constant heat cycle and the welded area will always be the stress point.

If I hadn’t found another grate I definitely would have given it a shot.

Tom will soon be resurrected.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Sat. Jan. 15, 2022 11:09 am

If the new grate works out, save the broken grate. Tomahawk Foundry can often cast new grates from the broken ones. And sometimes for less cost than some places that are selling replacements.

Paul

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Sat. Jan. 15, 2022 12:21 pm

Yup! Recast and save the next guy too!
Some say to “season” a new grate with multiple small short fires gradually hotter and longer before put in to heavy service. Even heard of “seasoning” in mama’s oven. 🤔

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Sat. Jan. 15, 2022 12:29 pm

McGiever wrote:
Sat. Jan. 15, 2022 12:21 pm
Some say to “season” a new grate with multiple small short fires gradually hotter and longer before put in to heavy service. Even heard of “seasoning” in mama’s oven. 🤔
There's debate about if that helps. However, I figure it can't hurt to do some heat cycles to help relieve any casting stresses in the metal, so I do that with new grates.

I know some manufactures (Dewalt for one) used to let their large cast iron parts heat-cycle "age" outdoors for about a year, or some heat-cycle them in large ovens ( some race engine builders), before they start machining them.

Paul

mntbugy
Hand Fed Coal Stove: D S 1500, Warm Moring 400
Baseburners & Antiques: Art Garland 145,GW114 ,Clarion 115, Vestal 20 Globe,New Royal22 Globe, Red Cross Oak 56,Acme Ventiduct 38,Radiant Airblast 626,Home Airblast 62,Moores #7,Moores 3way
Coal Size/Type: stove and nut and some bit
Other Heating: Propain

Post by mntbugy » Sat. Jan. 15, 2022 12:44 pm

Tomahawk is going to be 12 weeks turn around. Will set you back about $150.+

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Sat. Jan. 15, 2022 1:51 pm

mntbugy wrote:
Sat. Jan. 15, 2022 12:44 pm
Tomahawk is going to be 12 weeks turn around. Will set you back about $150.+
What changed?

Every time I've used Tomahawk I'd get an email that my parts are done and on the way to me just two weeks after I shipped them the patterns/parts to recast. Always took less time and less cost than Al quoted me in his emails.

Paul

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Sat. Jan. 15, 2022 2:59 pm

McGiever wrote:
Sat. Jan. 15, 2022 12:21 pm
Yup! I consider that great advice, Larry.

I’ve heard numerous old timers long passed, that would be well over 100 years old if they were still alive, give that same advice. Many of them offered me that same sage advice for the first firing each year of a wood stove and/or fireplace to drive moisture out of the masonry slowly. Also, to heat clay liners slowly because of expansion and contraction.

mntbugy
Hand Fed Coal Stove: D S 1500, Warm Moring 400
Baseburners & Antiques: Art Garland 145,GW114 ,Clarion 115, Vestal 20 Globe,New Royal22 Globe, Red Cross Oak 56,Acme Ventiduct 38,Radiant Airblast 626,Home Airblast 62,Moores #7,Moores 3way
Coal Size/Type: stove and nut and some bit
Other Heating: Propain

Post by mntbugy » Sat. Jan. 15, 2022 3:50 pm

Quality is going down hill.

The other foundry is 8 weeks turn around.

Next "other" foundry is 4 weeks.

"Other" nickel plating place, not doing so well.

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Sat. Jan. 15, 2022 3:56 pm

mntbugy wrote:
Sat. Jan. 15, 2022 3:50 pm
Quality is going down hill.

The other foundry is 8 weeks turn around.

Next "other" foundry is 4 weeks.

"Other" nickel plating place, not doing so well.
Who are, "other".

Paul

Holdencoal

Post by Holdencoal » Sat. Jan. 15, 2022 5:31 pm

Sunny Boy wrote:
Sat. Jan. 15, 2022 1:51 pm
What changed?

Every time I've used Tomahawk I'd get an email that my parts are done and on the way to me just two weeks after I shipped them the patterns/parts to recast. Always took less time and less cost than Al quoted me in his emails.

Paul
Paul, between the vid, no help and supply chain everything has quadrupled in time frame. I tried to order a simple K81A hydrant from Kennedy and it’s 14-18 weeks.

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anth.
Other Heating: none

Post by KingCoal » Sun. Jan. 16, 2022 9:13 am

TOM’s three windows looked like laser beams and the roar………

Yea, I know those manifestations. Knowing what I do about the installation you are probably the only one who wouldn’t burn the house down with that stove but melting the smoke pipe off the back would be an issue 👹

😂🤣😂

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”