Where do you get your coal?

btarby15
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite, Stove
Other Heating: Heatmor 100CB

Post by btarby15 » Sun. Jan. 09, 2022 10:49 am

Where do you get your coal and how much are you paying? I’m in Eastern Pa, about an hour north of Philly. I’ve used Direnzio and Lutz’s coal yard. Direnzio has best prices but hasn’t been getting stove size which is what I use.

Hounds51
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 2 Legacy TLC 2000 one in the upper and 1 in the lower part of the house
Coal Size/Type: Wood and pea, nut ,stove and egg coal

Post by Hounds51 » Sun. Jan. 09, 2022 11:16 am

btarby15 wrote:
Sun. Jan. 09, 2022 10:49 am
Where do you get your coal and how much are you paying? I’m in Eastern Pa, about an hour north of Philly. I’ve used Direnzio and Lutz’s coal yard. Direnzio has best prices but hasn’t been getting stove size which is what I use.
The last time I checked (about 2 weeks ago) in with DiRenzio they had no coal available.
Local coal prices (nut) jumped up $25 a ton from Christmas till last week. I got about a ton of stove/egg coal from years back, that I keep in reserve for only the sub zero day's. So other than what I posted above, I have no idea what's going on with the market. I have a bad feeling that the powers that be, might make getting coal either extremely expensive or non existent in the future next 3 years. And we all know once the coal prices go up, they never go back down to were they once were.

btarby15

Post by btarby15 » Sun. Jan. 09, 2022 11:32 am

Hounds51 wrote:
Sun. Jan. 09, 2022 11:16 am
The last time I checked (about 2 weeks ago) in with DiRenzio they had no coal available.
Local coal prices (nut) jumped up $25 a ton from Christmas till last week. I got about a ton of stove/egg coal from years back, that I keep in reserve for only the sub zero day's. So other than what I posted above, I have no idea what's going on with the market. I have a bad feeling that the powers that be, might make getting coal either extremely expensive or non existent in the future next 3 years. And we all know once the coal prices go up, they never go back down to were they once were.
Yeah, I had to get from Lutz’s in the beginning of the season, $230/ton for stove picked up, not terrible…might have to convert my coal boiler back to wood if this keeps up…more work for me
Too! :/

waytomany?s
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark II
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Looking
Baseburners & Antiques: Looking
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: newmac wood/coal combo furnace

Post by waytomany?s » Sun. Jan. 09, 2022 12:04 pm

There is a coal pricing page here.

Gunny5821
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Buck 24
Coal Size/Type: Nut/Anthracite and local Bit

Post by Gunny5821 » Sun. Jan. 09, 2022 12:17 pm

Still buying from Tractor Supply, which is the only supplier here in Alabama. Their regular price is $6.99 for a 40 lb. bag, but on Veterans Day, if a veteran, you can buy it for 15% off. I loaded one ton and bought another on a raincheck so I could get it with the discount when it came in. I've read that some stores across the country sell it at a higher price, but if you go ahead and select the store you wish to pick it up, put your order in online and pay for it, they have to honor that price.

Straick

Post by Straick » Sun. Jan. 09, 2022 3:12 pm

I get mine delivered from the local Agway. I do have to pay for the delivery, but it is much easier than trying to move it all with a car.

mkline
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Alaska Kodiak x 2...Old and New
Coal Size/Type: Nut and Stove/Anthracite

Post by mkline » Sun. Jan. 09, 2022 9:51 pm

I get my coal at Lenigs coal out by Trevorton. 160 a ton picked up, all sizes. They only raised the price 10 bucks 1 time since I started burning coal back in '09.

Dreamcatcher
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Alaska kodiak

Post by Dreamcatcher » Sun. Jan. 09, 2022 10:36 pm

Try Lehigh 215 a ton picked up at the mine called last week

btarby15

Post by btarby15 » Mon. Jan. 10, 2022 9:34 am

mkline wrote:
Sun. Jan. 09, 2022 9:51 pm
I get my coal at Lenigs coal out by Trevorton. 160 a ton picked up, all sizes. They only raised the price 10 bucks 1 time since I started burning coal back in '09.
Wow that’s pretty good. It’s a 2 hour drive for me, might be worth it at some point.

btarby15

Post by btarby15 » Mon. Jan. 10, 2022 9:35 am

Dreamcatcher wrote:
Sun. Jan. 09, 2022 10:36 pm
Try Lehigh 215 a ton picked up at the mine called last week
Stinks, it was $180 a ton picked up before Christmas.

Dreamcatcher
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Alaska kodiak

Post by Dreamcatcher » Mon. Jan. 10, 2022 11:05 am

I am also from upper bucks How is Lutz coal yard do you know where they get there coal

btarby15

Post by btarby15 » Mon. Jan. 10, 2022 11:16 am

Dreamcatcher wrote:
Mon. Jan. 10, 2022 11:05 am
I am also from upper bucks How is Lutz coal yard do you know where they get there coal
They had reasonable prices and were close. $235 a ton picked up. They get their coal from blashack

Hounds51
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 2 Legacy TLC 2000 one in the upper and 1 in the lower part of the house

Post by Hounds51 » Mon. Jan. 10, 2022 11:40 am

btarby
That seems a little high, but if you dont have a dump trailer and your too far from the breakers then I guess that's a good buy.
My brother and I placed an order for 2 tons each of nut coal at our Jono Ace Hardware before Christmas. They quoted us a price of $228 a ton delivered. I am glad we ordered before Christmas as we got our delivery today at the pre Christmas price. The current price is now $240 a ton delivered. We were told that coal prices are going to go thru the roof, as all fuel prices are going that way, and probably aren't going to go down for quite a spell, as he looked up at my Trump Country flag.
By the way that per ton price quote is for a 2 ton minimum delivery. So guy's if you have some extra space to store it, then stock up now and save for next year. By the way DiRenzos is still closed as far as their web page goes.

btarby15

Post by btarby15 » Mon. Jan. 10, 2022 11:50 am

Hounds51 wrote:
Mon. Jan. 10, 2022 11:40 am
btarby
That seems a little high, but if you dont have a dump trailer and your too far from the breakers then I guess that's a good buy.
My brother and I placed an order for 2 tons each of nut coal at our Jono Ace Hardware before Christmas. They quoted us a price of $228 a ton delivered. I am glad we ordered before Christmas as we got our delivery today at the pre Christmas price. The current price is now $240 a ton delivered. We were told that coal prices are going to go thru the roof, as all fuel prices are going that way, and probably aren't going to go down for quite a spell, as he looked up at my Trump Country flag.
By the way that per ton price quote is for a 2 ton minimum delivery. So guy's if you have some extra space to store it, then stock up now and save for next year. By the way DiRenzos is still closed as far as their web page goes.
I didn’t know that some ace sold coal, I’ll have to call my local ace as well and see. I do have a dump trailer to use, but the hours of Lehigh mine never seen to line up with when I can get there. It’s only about an hour from me, but I can only get there on the weekends and their weekend hours are quirky.

It seems they are making every single fuel source expensive, although I guess they can’t upcharge trees…but heating oil, natural gas, coal, etc. They want to ban new natural gas hookups in some cities, coal, and oil…so what are the options?! Hopefully things calm down before next heating season, or else I’ll be back to splitting wood.

Hounds51

Post by Hounds51 » Mon. Jan. 10, 2022 12:55 pm

btarby15

Yea I agree with you about the wood, but only if necessary.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”