Gasket leaking

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Fri. Jan. 07, 2022 9:59 am

Pretty sure I have a gasket leaking. I’ve suspected it since I replaced it this past fall.

Ash pan door closed too easy after replacing and wasn’t as tight as the one I removed. Lesson learned. Next time it’s loose like that I rip it out and throw it away.

Normally this stove will run all the way down to .005”WC in shoulder season.

In December, according to my notes, it’s nothing for this stove to be running Max -.02”WC with temps above the doors running at 340-350 when OAT dip into the mid teens.

Right now OAt 8F.
The stat is closed draft is -.035”WC which is near Hitzer’s minimum recommended draft. Above the doors 357F.

When the stat was open I had just stoked the stove and turned the blower on for about twenty minutes to get the temps up in here a bit (68F IAT when I got up).

I shut the blower off and took a temp reading above the door of 412F (hottest I’ve ever needed to get this stove) looked ver at the manometer and it was reading -.055”WC to -.06”WC with stove damper full closed and pipe damper dang near full closed. There were a good bit of tall blue flames in the stove at that time. Right now she’s going through her cooking cycle.

Those numbers aren’t too alarming and I do think these low temps down to 5F are the lowest I have seen here since having the stove. I’ll have to check my notes.

Still, at near 350F above the doors this thing is drafting a little higher (-.03 to -.035) where normally it was drafting -.01 to -.02 max. Maybe the difference is because it’s much colder out. You guys can let me know if that is to be expected. Seems like it would be.

I’m pretty sure that when this stat opens again and gets to the top of its cycle before closing again that the draft probably won’t get any higher than -.035” and if so I am still well within Hitzer parameters. I just got a little uneasy about reaching -.06 but that was off of a fresh tending so maybe that is normal especially down into single digits.

I still think this ash pan door is closing way to easy. The older gasket I had to push quite a bit more to be able to latch the door. Oh...and remember Inhabe some glass retaining screws that are barely holding in the glass. Still need to address that. That could also be contributing to higher draft numbers but has zero to do with how little I have to push on this ash pan door to close it.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Fri. Jan. 07, 2022 10:13 am

Simple solution Billy--go up a size on ash pan door gasket----shocked ya haven't dealt with those glass holdin bolds/ screws----ORrrrrr ya could always complicate the hell out of it!! :)

Hounds51
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 2 Legacy TLC 2000 one in the upper and 1 in the lower part of the house
Coal Size/Type: Wood and pea, nut ,stove and egg coal

Post by Hounds51 » Fri. Jan. 07, 2022 10:20 am

freetown fred wrote:
Fri. Jan. 07, 2022 10:13 am
Simple solution Billy--go up a size on ash pan door gasket----shocked ya haven't dealt with those glass holdin bolds/ screws----ORrrrrr ya could always complicate the hell out of it!! :)
Yep size matters

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t

Post by Hoytman » Fri. Jan. 07, 2022 10:46 am

I used a factory gasket 1/2" each time. Oh well.
I'm pretty certain I stretched it when I dampened it with water and that likely tightened the weave on it thinning it out. Guess I'll let it burn out and change the gasket and fix the door glass retainers. Give me a good chance to clean some of the ash out anyway.

The reason I didn't go up in size on the gasket is because the first gasket I put in before using the stove my first year I really had to push hard on the door to close it. That's how I knew this one was too loose. Door was too easy to close.

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Fri. Jan. 07, 2022 5:44 pm

Billy, my ash door calls for 1/2" but I'm using 5/8--she seats in after a few closings--PLUS--the ash door is TIGHT now. :)

Hoytman

Post by Hoytman » Fri. Jan. 07, 2022 8:07 pm

Thanks, Fred. I have a spare 1/2” to try. I’ll know right away as soon as I close the door of it will work. Should be tight like the first one I installed the first year I used the stove. Really had to push on the door to close that one even when I replaced it. I probably ripped it out before it was necessary. Just trying to avoid having to do it mid season and be danged if I I’m not in that situation anyway.

If this spare doesn’t fit right I’ll go to TSC and grab a 5/8” and be done with it. If I get there before I try mine I’ll go ahead and grab one just to have it on hand.

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Fri. Jan. 07, 2022 8:49 pm

Yep, never hurts to have some spares.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”