Ash Disposal

LouNY
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer fireplace insert
Coal Size/Type: nut
Other Heating: oil

Post by LouNY » Wed. Feb. 16, 2022 10:22 am

I had to go buy a second barrel for ashes the other day,
I keep it outside the garage doors to keep the dust out of the garage.
Apparently I didn't get the lid on tight one night when we got some strong winds
and the cover blew off, looked all over and couldn't find it.
So get another one and had used it for a couple of days when I saw the lid about a
100 yards out in the woods so now I've two 30 gallon cans I can fill before I have to dump ashes. :baby:

Twisted shackle
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Keystoker deep box

Post by Twisted shackle » Wed. Feb. 16, 2022 1:14 pm

I use the throw them in the driveway solution. My son the mechanical engineer and former Prudue facility menber is visiting. This morning I asked him to take my ashes out and spread them. His mother was not amused.

joeq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: G111, Southard Robertson

Post by joeq » Wed. Feb. 16, 2022 7:45 pm

LouNY wrote:
Wed. Feb. 16, 2022 10:22 am
I had to go buy a second barrel for ashes the other day,
I keep it outside the garage doors to keep the dust out of the garage.
Apparently I didn't get the lid on tight one night when we got some strong winds
and the cover blew off, looked all over and couldn't find it.
So get another one and had used it for a couple of days when I saw the lid about a
100 yards out in the woods so now I've two 30 gallon cans I can fill before I have to dump ashes. :baby:
If you didn't buy the second can, you would've never found the 1st one. (Murphys law #234)
Twisted shackle wrote:
Wed. Feb. 16, 2022 1:14 pm
I use the throw them in the driveway solution. My son the mechanical engineer and former Prudue facility menber is visiting. This morning I asked him to take my ashes out and spread them. His mother was not amused.
LOL. I like it. I've told my family, "Don't waste any real estate on me. When I'm gone, fire me, and spread my ashes on New England dragway." :D

waytomany?s
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark II
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Looking
Baseburners & Antiques: Looking
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: newmac wood/coal combo furnace

Post by waytomany?s » Wed. Feb. 16, 2022 8:26 pm

Twisted shackle wrote:
See, I thought it was hilarious. I don't think I'll ever get old enough to understand why women don't have a sense of humor.

joeq

Post by joeq » Sun. Feb. 05, 2023 1:20 pm

Reopening this old thread, because in my never ending quest for ease and simplicity of maintenance and operations of our stoves, I've found an "improved" way of my method of ash disposal.
*Because this post is excessively drug out with filler, you can skip to the bottom for the conclusion, if you're just taking a peek because of the curiosity factor, and have better ways of biding your time.

Because many of us don't possess the luxury of living next door to a landfill, or have multiple acreage of forestry to dispose of said ashes, it was brought to my attention by a member on this site, (a while back), that rather than toss our empty coal bags in the trash, fill them with ash, and "then" toss the bag. A great idea, I still use.
The problem for me, (because nothing can be easy), is pouring the ashes from my ash pan into the loose and M/T bag, W/O spilling half the waste all over the ground next to it. (Very frustrating). The total intent of this thread, showing how I was informed, (once again by another member..."jerrybro"), that a 5 gallon bucket would fit into a bag, and with the bottom removed, became a holding fixture whilst pouring. And "Voila", life once again became improved. The bucket made a good funnel.
"However", as time has passed on, even this has become problematic. Either the buckets are increasing diametrically, the bags are shrinking, (more plausible), or I'm getting weaker. :annoyed:

Whatever the reasoning, squeezing the bags over the bottom of the bucket, has become as challenging as trying to stuff a grapefruit down the toilet. (A comment from a poster I had from years ago, stating... "you know you're in trouble, when your 3 your old tells you that.... a grapefruit will almost fit down a toilet)"

Anyway, I've discovered another item that seems to be a better fit, and I'll bet most of you also have these items.The wife has collected over the years, a bunch of flower pots, and are always kicking around the yard in various places. I found this plastic one, and cut out the bottom of it, and it's a better fit, than the 5 gal. bucket.
So, once again, the "cleanest" way for me to eradicate these ashes, is to dump my loaded ash pan into this old hod, (because it has a nice size spout on it), and pour the ashes into it. Once the hod is loaded, I can easily pour it into the coal bag, using the cut off flower pot as the funnel.
So there you have it. Clear as Boston harbor? If there are any questions, or comments, I'll be in the area all day. (Enjoy your summer breeze) :)

davidmcbeth3
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Sun. Feb. 05, 2023 1:23 pm

Twisted shackle wrote:
Did he do it himself or make some infernal machine to do it for him ?

This is a 2022 thread....thought it was a 2023 one...where am I ?

joeq

Post by joeq » Sun. Feb. 05, 2023 1:28 pm

LOL. Funny stuff Dave. Guess you didn't read my opener above.:)

davidmcbeth3
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Sun. Feb. 05, 2023 4:54 pm

joeq wrote:
Sun. Feb. 05, 2023 1:28 pm
LOL. Funny stuff Dave. Guess you didn't read my opener above.:)
No I didn't.

https://i.postimg.cc/j2w427Rk/whitegirlwasted.gif

joeq

Post by joeq » Sun. Feb. 05, 2023 5:01 pm

Disgusting video Dave. :/

kstills50
Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Pea

Post by kstills50 » Thu. Oct. 19, 2023 1:40 pm

So, I've had issues with my waste hauler taking the ash. In fact, they refuse to take it anymore because of the fire hazard in the trucks.

I know that's not an issue, but I don't make those decisions .

I've checked with several other haulers, all of whom won't pick up the ash. Most won't take the ash even in a roll off, I have two that I'm still waiting to hear back from.

I see folks putting this stuff on their driveways, however I can guarantee if I spread this on my property I'll get jammed up as soon as someone puts in a complaint.

I'm down in Bucks County, 25 miles north of Philly.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Thu. Oct. 19, 2023 1:50 pm

I've been dumping the ash on my driveway for many years now. But I always wait until after dark, so the neighbors don't get to see any airborne dust. 15 years and no complaints from neighbors on either side.

Paul

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Thu. Oct. 19, 2023 1:59 pm

A black trash bag hides what’s inside pretty well, especially if less than 1/2 a 5 gallon bucket is disposed of at a time, which would be about 2-3 day’s worth of ash from my large 354 stove.

Surely a spot in the yard can be found. Flower beds, garden, etc. Sifted ash, of course.

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Thu. Oct. 19, 2023 2:00 pm

Sunny Boy wrote:
Thu. Oct. 19, 2023 1:50 pm
I've been dumping the ash on my driveway for many years now. But I always wait until after dark, so the neighbors don't get to see any airborne dust. 15 years and no complaints from neighbors on either side.

Paul
A little common sense goes a long way.👍

kstills50
Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Pea

Post by kstills50 » Thu. Oct. 19, 2023 2:39 pm

Hoytman wrote:
Thu. Oct. 19, 2023 1:59 pm
A black trash bag hides what’s inside pretty well, especially if less than 1/2 a 5 gallon bucket is disposed of at a time, which would be about 2-3 day’s worth of ash from my large 354 stove.

Surely a spot in the yard can be found. Flower beds, garden, etc. Sifted ash, of course.
I'm dumping ~10 gallons every 2 or 3 days in the winter, so there is quite a lot per pickup going into the trash cans.

waytomany?s
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark II
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Looking
Baseburners & Antiques: Looking
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: newmac wood/coal combo furnace

Post by waytomany?s » Thu. Oct. 19, 2023 3:22 pm

Occasionally I see perfect ash pan sized ash bricks in the snow banks on my street.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”