Dutch oven and coal stove top cookin

Hounds51
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 2 Legacy TLC 2000 one in the upper and 1 in the lower part of the house
Coal Size/Type: Wood and pea, nut ,stove and egg coal

Post by Hounds51 » Mon. Dec. 06, 2021 3:13 pm

Hi all, last week i got on a forum and someone inquired about cooking via coal stove top. Although once upon a time I tried to fry eggs on my stove (with little success) I came up with this brain stormin idea. So I gave it a try with slow cookin a roast beef, potatoes, and baby carrots. Well I know without pictures, it didn't happen, but it did and it got much better than expected. It was great. We put it on about 10 Am and it was done around 4 Pm.
I guess you will have to take my word on it.
Well fast forward to today. Around 2 Pm today we decided to try corned beef and cabbage in the dutch oven. As you will see in the pictures which will be coming after it is done my setup and the finished product. Hopefully the meal will be done by 8 Pm tonight. I measured my stove top temperature at around 200 degrees and I added about 2 cups of water to steam the meal. Before I added the cabbage, my water was already steaming. Now I know with all my ingredients it will take some time to steam up, but as of now I am impressed with this dutch oven idea. I will wait to add the corned beef till later, as the corned beef is already precooked and all that is needed is to heat it up. I am using canned corn beef actually 2 cans. One for each half. There is more than enough for the 2 of us, so I guess we will be having left overs. I will let you all know how things are going during my cooking process. Stay Tuned

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Mon. Dec. 06, 2021 3:55 pm

Sounds great, H,.... but where's the pix ? We like pix. :D

This was covered in the Cookin' With Coal thread, with some tips for those that don't have a traditional kitchen cook stove.

Some of the antique parlor stoves had a Dutch oven built into the top, under the bonnet. And some very rare ones had an oven on the back of the stove body.

Some, like my GW #6, have a small cooktop surface on top of the back flues - sometimes called a "tea shelf". It's big enough to put a 10 inch (#8) frying pan or 5 qt. Dutch oven on it. Swing the bonnet off to the side and the flat top of the stove body will fit a larger pan or Dutch oven.

Great for power outages if you have an electric kitchen stove, or for pot of water to add indoor humidity. All you need is a flat surface that gets hot. Then it's just a matter of how hot and learning how/what you can cook on it. :yes:

Paul
Last edited by Sunny Boy on Mon. Dec. 06, 2021 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hounds51
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 2 Legacy TLC 2000 one in the upper and 1 in the lower part of the house

Post by Hounds51 » Mon. Dec. 06, 2021 4:07 pm

I already took some pictures, now I have to figure how to post. Also the cookin with coal thread is good, but it is also long. I wanted to direct this to just the regular modern coal stove people, as lots of them have to sort thru the cookin with coal threads and this is just an idea for the regular modern coal stove owners.

Attachments

DSCF1293.JPG
.JPG | 423.1KB | DSCF1293.JPG
DSCF1296.JPG
.JPG | 275.6KB | DSCF1296.JPG
DSCF1299.JPG
.JPG | 306.9KB | DSCF1299.JPG
DSCF1301.JPG
.JPG | 411.9KB | DSCF1301.JPG
Last edited by Hounds51 on Mon. Dec. 06, 2021 4:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Homesteader
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark II
Coal Size/Type: Nut, Stove
Other Heating: H.B. Smith oil fired boiler

Post by Homesteader » Mon. Dec. 06, 2021 4:15 pm

I've done a lot of sauces and stews on top of my MII with my Dutch oven. I usually start them directly on the flat top and when they just start boiling I put a trivet under the Dutch oven so they can slow cook.
Stove Stew 2.jpg
.JPG | 80.6KB | Stove Stew 2.jpg

Hounds51

Post by Hounds51 » Mon. Dec. 06, 2021 4:30 pm

Homesteader wrote:
Mon. Dec. 06, 2021 4:15 pm
I've done a lot of sauces and stews on top of my MII with my Dutch oven. I usually start them directly on the flat top and when they just start boiling I put a trivet under the Dutch oven so they can slow cook.
Stove Stew 2.jpg
Yep, that's what I do, except I have some old asbestos shingles that I use as a trivet. They seem to transfer the heat more evenly and bring down the oven temp just right.
The reason I started this thread was because a newer member was inquiring about using his coal stove to cook on. Of course the answer to that one is yes and no. Just depends.

Hounds51

Post by Hounds51 » Mon. Dec. 06, 2021 5:02 pm

5 Pm, The meal started to boil. Time to put in on the shingle. The one half I sprinkled on a little old bay so thats why it looks like paprika is on it. I will wait for an hour and add the corned beef to the cabbage divots.

Attachments

DSCF1303.JPG
.JPG | 361.5KB | DSCF1303.JPG
DSCF1304.JPG
.JPG | 327.1KB | DSCF1304.JPG
DSCF1305.JPG
.JPG | 323.3KB | DSCF1305.JPG

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Mon. Dec. 06, 2021 5:27 pm

Hounds51 wrote:
Mon. Dec. 06, 2021 4:07 pm
I already took some pictures, now I have to figure how to post. Also the cookin with coal thread is good, but it is also long. I wanted to direct this to just the regular modern coal stove people, as lots of them have to sort thru the cookin with coal threads and this is just an idea for the regular modern coal stove owners.
Understood. Yes, it's a long thread, but don't let the length shy anyone away. A lot of the non-kitchen type stove cooking hints, and recipes suggestions, are covered rather early on in the discussions.

Paul

Hounds51

Post by Hounds51 » Mon. Dec. 06, 2021 5:29 pm

Sunny Boy wrote:
Mon. Dec. 06, 2021 5:27 pm
Understood. Yes, it's a long thread, but don't let the length shy anyone away. A lot of the non-kitchen type stove cooking hints, and recipes suggestions, are covered rather early on in the discussions.

Paul
Will have to investigate more fully. Thanks

Hounds51

Post by Hounds51 » Mon. Dec. 06, 2021 6:00 pm

6 Pm and I added the corn beef to the divits. Should take another hour or so till done. Easy Peasy
It smells sooo good!!!!!!!

Attachments

DSCF1306.JPG
.JPG | 450.3KB | DSCF1306.JPG
DSCF1307.JPG
.JPG | 445.4KB | DSCF1307.JPG
DSCF1308.JPG
.JPG | 546.6KB | DSCF1308.JPG

Twisted shackle
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Keystoker deep box

Post by Twisted shackle » Mon. Dec. 06, 2021 6:27 pm

We cook a lot on our cook top. Tonight's meal was Hungarian ghoulish.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/uUrDfwRw2tk41WiV6

Hounds51

Post by Hounds51 » Mon. Dec. 06, 2021 8:17 pm

Ok we waited till 7:30 and took it off. Man oh man was it good. This was truly a success. This gives me ideas of what we can make/heat up in case we loose power. We already have a steak/food basket that we put directly on the hot coal. So far we made some damn good steaks with that basket Any way here is pictures of the rest of the finished product

Attachments

DSCF1313.JPG
.JPG | 332.8KB | DSCF1313.JPG
DSCF1315.JPG
.JPG | 510.7KB | DSCF1315.JPG
DSCF1316.JPG
.JPG | 419.3KB | DSCF1316.JPG

ColdHouse

Post by ColdHouse » Wed. Dec. 08, 2021 4:59 pm

I had some success with an oven on top of a stove.
Post by ColdHouse - Bought a Stove Top Oven

Hounds51

Post by Hounds51 » Wed. Dec. 08, 2021 6:34 pm

We just had sausage and potatoes tonight via the dutch oven The sausage was homemade but the potatoes were bought. It is surprising what you can do on a regular coal stove top.
I don't know about baking a cake ,but soups,stews,roast beef,and sausage and potatoes etc can be done. This is nice to know if we ever loose power. Although we do have three gas coleman stoves an oven for the coleman and around 18 gallons of canned coleman fuel. We also have about 45 days of prep meals and around 10,000 rounds of ammo, for black rifles. So we should be good to go for a while.

fig
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF360
Hand Fed Coal Stove: T.O.M (Warm Morning converted to baseburner by Steve) Round Oak 1917 Door model O-3, Warm Morning 400, Warm Morning 524, Warm Morning 414,Florence No.77, Warm Morning 523-b
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 7.1/DS Machine basement stove/ Harman SF1500
Baseburners & Antiques: Renown Parlor stove 87B
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous/anthracite
Other Heating: Harman Accentra, enviro omega, Vermont Ironworks Elm stove, Quadrafire Mt Vernon, Logwood stove, Sotz barrel stove,

Post by fig » Wed. Dec. 08, 2021 8:22 pm

I’ve cooked on top of a few different stoves over the years. Works pretty good. I mostly make stews, roasts, ham and beans. I make corn bread on it in a pie tin. Just lay a piece of aluminum foil over the top. I’ve been keeping an eye out for a cook stove. I like this way of cooking that much.

waytomany?s
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark II
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Looking
Baseburners & Antiques: Looking
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: newmac wood/coal combo furnace

Post by waytomany?s » Wed. Dec. 08, 2021 9:20 pm

Hounds51 wrote:
Wed. Dec. 08, 2021 6:34 pm
We just had sausage and potatoes tonight via the dutch oven The sausage was homemade but the potatoes were bought. It is surprising what you can do on a regular coal stove top.
I don't know about baking a cake ,but soups,stews,roast beef,and sausage and potatoes etc can be done. This is nice to know if we ever loose power. Although we do have three gas coleman stoves an oven for the coleman and around 18 gallons of canned coleman fuel. We also have about 45 days of prep meals and around 10,000 rounds of ammo, for black rifles. So we should be good to go for a while.
Yes, but how much coal do you have stored? :D

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”