Dutch oven and coal stove top cookin

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Mon. Nov. 07, 2022 11:04 am

Remember H--I'm 77 yrs. old & have done a LOT of travelin around--YES they are all mine & have found them in strange places--hay lofts, abandoned farm houses--lots of them around here--flea markets, garage sales, etc.--actually, I should say they are Momma's bein's she does the cookin!! :lol:

Attachments

IMG_0001.JPG
.JPG | 41.4KB | IMG_0001.JPG
IMG_0002 (2).JPG
.JPG | 28.5KB | IMG_0002 (2).JPG

Hounds51
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 2 Legacy TLC 2000 one in the upper and 1 in the lower part of the house
Coal Size/Type: Wood and pea, nut ,stove and egg coal

Post by Hounds51 » Mon. Nov. 07, 2022 11:25 am

freetown fred wrote:
Mon. Nov. 07, 2022 11:04 am
Remember H--I'm 77 yrs. old & have done a LOT of travelin around--YES they are all mine & have found them in strange places--hay lofts, abandoned farm houses--lots of them around here--flea markets, garage sales, etc.--actually, I should say they are Momma's bein's she does the cookin!! :lol:
Well you got 5 years on me. We been gettin away with just the two pans for years. Every once and a while we could use an additional pan or two, but that's pretty rare. I'm 72 and you are 77 so we both have a lot of wisdom between the two of us.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Mon. Nov. 07, 2022 12:42 pm

Not long ago, when all kinds of non-stick cookware were becoming popular, most folks didn't want cast iron cookware. Many of the cast iron pans I have are hand-me-downs from family. Like Fred mentioned, we used to see more of them at yard sales and often for less than $10.00 in good condition and well-seasoned.

The three cast iron Dutch ovens we have were from family or bought cheap off eBay.

Now that cast iron has been making somewhat of a comeback, they are much less likely to be given away or sold cheap.

The large Griswald with trivet that I bought back when the non-stick wave came in, was less than $100.00. Now that size Griswald, if you can find one with the original trivet, goes for around $300-400.

Paul

Hounds51
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 2 Legacy TLC 2000 one in the upper and 1 in the lower part of the house

Post by Hounds51 » Sat. Nov. 12, 2022 10:31 am

Here's What I made last night
Although it was 50 degrees yesterday morning, the temps rose up to 70 degrees last night. But in the morning I had to make a wood fire to take the chill and moisture in the house in check. Although I could and eventually did let the fire go out. But before I did I decided to make a meal on the TLC.
One nice thing about the TLC is that they have an optional grill that you can buy, which I did. We don't use it often, but last night I put it to use. Although no dutch oven or cast iron was involved I thought I would pass this along.
We decided to make smoked sausage on the grill. Along with a can of green beans and instant mashed potatoes. In this meal only one small sauce pan was involved, so with paper plates, all that was involved in the cleanup was one spoon two forks one steak knife and the sauce pan. For desert we rinsed out the green bean can and heated up some bacon dressing and served with lettuce (sorry no pictures of that).
Here are some pictures of the project. By the way supper was great as usual.

Attachments

DSCF1404.JPG
.JPG | 533.1KB | DSCF1404.JPG
DSCF1405.JPG
.JPG | 484.3KB | DSCF1405.JPG
DSCF1406.JPG
.JPG | 394.6KB | DSCF1406.JPG
DSCF1407.JPG
.JPG | 482.8KB | DSCF1407.JPG
DSCF1409.JPG
.JPG | 455.5KB | DSCF1409.JPG
DSCF1410.JPG
.JPG | 332KB | DSCF1410.JPG

Bob500
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Coal Chubby
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite nut
Other Heating: gas steam

Post by Bob500 » Sun. Nov. 27, 2022 7:51 am

Turkey soup time.

Attachments

turkey soup 2022.jpg
.JPG | 419.1KB | turkey soup 2022.jpg

waytomany?s
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark II
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Looking
Baseburners & Antiques: Looking
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: newmac wood/coal combo furnace

Post by waytomany?s » Sun. Nov. 27, 2022 8:18 am

I like the black tile. Wooden spoon there?

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Sun. Nov. 27, 2022 12:33 pm

I like to keep my stove top looking like new.

With this Hitzer it doesn’t matter…can’t cook off of it anyway which irks me…stove is so big it doesn’t get hot enough.

If I had a stove I could cook off of that had a top that got hot, I’d love it. But I’d likely still add a steel plate across the top to cook on so I didn’t mess the top of my stove up.

Nothing wrong with using the stove top. Nothing wrong with it looking like it’s cooked on. It’s just not me, but the older I get the less I care anyway. Push comes to shove I’m cooking on it. LOL!

Hounds51

Post by Hounds51 » Mon. Nov. 28, 2022 12:42 pm

Hoytman wrote:
Sun. Nov. 27, 2022 12:33 pm
I like to keep my stove top looking like new.

With this Hitzer it doesn’t matter…can’t cook off of it anyway which irks me…stove is so big it doesn’t get hot enough.

If I had a stove I could cook off of that had a top that got hot, I’d love it. But I’d likely still add a steel plate across the top to cook on so I didn’t mess the top of my stove up.

Nothing wrong with using the stove top. Nothing wrong with it looking like it’s cooked on. It’s just not me, but the older I get the less I care anyway. Push comes to shove I’m cooking on it. LOL!
Or you can do what I do. In the winter when I do my stove top cookin, I clean as good as possible. Then in the spring when I am doing my yearly clean up with the fire bricks and etc, I get out the sander and clean and repaint the top. In the winter if I get any bad spills, which is rarely, I use my Inspection type scraper, which I also use to clean my door glass and scrape off any excess. If for some reason my stove is shut down, then I will hand sand the top and touch up the top. I really don't care how it looks as much as how it cooks. It saves on electric too. So far this winter we made all our soups and meals on the stove top as we were still burning wood. By using wood you got to be careful as the meals tend to get done faster.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Mon. Nov. 28, 2022 12:57 pm

Or, you can do what we do in the oven to catch any mess. Put a half-sheet size baking pan on top of the stove and put your pots/pans on that. The baking pans at Walmart are not expensive and after a few years, when they start to look beat up, we replace them.

If the top of the stove is too hot, flip the pan over and the airgap it makes will lower the temps getting to the pots/pans.

Or, if you want to get fancy, get the stainless-steel ones from Amazon. They can be scrubbed clean and last a lifetime.

Paul

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”