Dutch oven and coal stove top cookin

Hounds51
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 2 Legacy TLC 2000 one in the upper and 1 in the lower part of the house
Coal Size/Type: Wood and pea, nut ,stove and egg coal

Post by Hounds51 » Sun. Jan. 09, 2022 4:35 pm

I made the egg omelet for supper tonight. Used Cheese and bacon also had some button mushrooms that I fried in the bacon fat. Here's how it turned out

Attachments

DSCF4199.JPG
.JPG | 467.2KB | DSCF4199.JPG
DSCF4200.JPG
.JPG | 550KB | DSCF4200.JPG
DSCF4201.JPG
.JPG | 498.4KB | DSCF4201.JPG
DSCF4202.JPG
.JPG | 476.3KB | DSCF4202.JPG
DSCF4203.JPG
.JPG | 480.5KB | DSCF4203.JPG
DSCF4204.JPG
.JPG | 537KB | DSCF4204.JPG

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Wed. Feb. 23, 2022 9:27 pm

Hmm, I skipped over this topic but finally read it after OP mentioned it in another topic. Im not much for fancy cooking but Im very impressed what many of you do with your stoves and the humor was great! The frozen pizza I will have to try. Great stories. :D

Hounds51
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 2 Legacy TLC 2000 one in the upper and 1 in the lower part of the house

Post by Hounds51 » Thu. Feb. 24, 2022 12:12 am

warminmn wrote:
Wed. Feb. 23, 2022 9:27 pm
Hmm, I skipped over this topic but finally read it after OP mentioned it in another topic. Im not much for fancy cooking but Im very impressed what many of you do with your stoves and the humor was great! The frozen pizza I will have to try. Great stories. :D
Yea and I have many more. This Saturday I'am going to be cookin my famous Corned Beef and Cabbage, with potatoes and carrots. I will be cooking for 9 people and all of it will be done on the TLC stovetop. I am gonna have a stove top dutch oven and a big roasting pan going at the same time. It will involve two cabbages cut in half, then hollowed out filled with 1 can of corned beef for each half. I made this about a month ago, and it really turned out good, so it's back by popular demand.

Hounds51

Post by Hounds51 » Thu. Feb. 24, 2022 11:00 am

warminmn wrote:
Wed. Feb. 23, 2022 9:27 pm
If you make the frozen pizza make sure you put a frying pan turned upside down over the pizza or it won't get done. By doing that it creates a oven. Also keep checking on the pizza as your times and temperatures may vary. But it's really not that hard.

warminmn

Post by warminmn » Thu. Feb. 24, 2022 12:19 pm

Hounds51 wrote:
Thu. Feb. 24, 2022 11:00 am
If you make the frozen pizza make sure you put a frying pan turned upside down over the pizza or it won't get done. By doing that it creates a oven. Also keep checking on the pizza as your times and temperatures may vary. But it's really not that hard.
Yes I caught that, the pan over it. And the thermometer on it. I like crispy crust so will have to have a little space under the pizza, just a tiny bit. I love pizza but my belly size determines how often i eat it ;) And lately its been saying no :lol:

I have an old wood cookstove and by the looks of coal prices here I might be using it again next year. (I miss it anyway so dont need much of an excuse) I found a great source and price for split oak to use in it. Im still holding out a glimmer of hope that freight costs drop so coal isnt 400/ton like I expect it to be here.

Hounds51

Post by Hounds51 » Fri. Feb. 25, 2022 11:23 am

warminmn, I feel your pain. I live very close to the coal, and some of the breakers are currently shut down or running light. That's why I wanted to find a stove that was designed to do both. Granted the TLC prefers coal, but I can get a 2 to 6 hour burn from wood. I used to get up in the middle of the night and throw a couple rounds on the fire. I got plenty of dead trees here. Some are just rotting away, but at my age (70) and health, cutting wood is a little dangerous for me to do. I had no problems up until I hit 65, now it's time for someone else to do. My one stepson comes over from time to time and cuts wood for us. My wife and I use and old homemade hydrollic log splitter so we split and stack, while he saw's. I am also the saw maintenance man, so I am kept busy sharping and maintaining the old used Stihl saws, plus the splitting and stacking. I've been cutting wood from the age of 18 till 65. I am left handed and when I used to cut Wood I always did it the wrong way. I am lucky that I never lost control of my saws. So saying that I feel now that i am older, my luck may be running out, so no more sawing for me.
Let the young ones do it !

warminmn

Post by warminmn » Fri. Feb. 25, 2022 11:46 am

I lost a neighbor to a tree this past fall who was in his 70s. Trying to push it over or hold it with a tractor to saw it and it fell on him. If younger he wouldnt have used a tractor. Theres a time to quit, thats for sure. I still cut some but I leave the big trees alone. Too many close calls that youth and quickness saved me from. Ive never had a splitter. If my axe wont split it easy its campfire wood, lol

Hounds51

Post by Hounds51 » Tue. Oct. 25, 2022 6:37 pm

I started cooking with the dutch oven and frying pan a couple days ago. Night before last we had some home made Turkey vegetable soup. Tonight we had fried Sausage and Potatoes. I made a whole bunch of vacuum sealed meals over the summer, so tomorrow night might be one of those. Remember most of you can do stove top cookin, so give it a try. It may take a little longer than regular stove top, but can be done.
Let us know how your stove top cookin is going.

Hounds51

Post by Hounds51 » Tue. Oct. 25, 2022 6:48 pm

Here is a local famous barbeque recipe that you might want to try. We used to have one of those old time drive in's in Lebanon Pa. It was called the Dixie Drive In. They were well known for their pork BBQ's. Here is the recipe if any one wants to try it.
Dixie BBQ recipe

I think I found a recipe that closely duplicates the famous Dixie BBQ.
My friends and my brother sampled this and agreed that I nailed it. Here is how I did it.
1- 5 lb pork butt with fat cap remaining
1- 1 1/2 cups of yellow mustard
1- 1/2 to 3/4 cup of Vlasic dill pickle juice
1- 1 cup of drippings
I used a pressure cooker to finish the pork butt.
While butt is cooking, mix all the above ingredients together and store in refrigerator until butt is ready to be pulled.
Pull butt and remove all excess fat before mixing with the mix.
You can add a little more mustard if needed, but be careful as a little too much is a little too much.
Also if you feel the mix and pork is a little too dry, add a little bit of water or dripping juice to moisten the mix.
After mixing is done get some buns out and enjoy.
Oh yea, and about the dill mix, there are many out there, but we prefer the Vlasic juice over any others, as some dill mix are either too or not enough dilly and or salty. But leftover Dill Vlasic juice seems to be the best. I personally feel that what makes this unique is the dill juice.
Some added notes
For the above recipe, you could also use a slow cooker, if you don't have a pressure cooker. Just don't over cook or under cook. The only reason we use a pressure cooker is because it get's done faster. Whatever method, always put about 1/2 to 1 cup of water in the bottom before cooking
195 degrees is the target temperature to look for.
You can also add a little bit of brown sugar if desired.

charlesosborne2002
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant II 2310
Other Heating: natural gas central forced air

Post by charlesosborne2002 » Tue. Oct. 25, 2022 8:40 pm

Hounds51 wrote:
Fri. Feb. 25, 2022 11:23 am
warminmn, I feel your pain. I live very close to the coal, and some of the breakers are currently shut down or running light. That's why I wanted to find a stove that was designed to do both. Granted the TLC prefers coal, but I can get a 2 to 6 hour burn from wood. I used to get up in the middle of the night and throw a couple rounds on the fire. I got plenty of dead trees here. Some are just rotting away, but at my age (70) and health, cutting wood is a little dangerous for me to do. I had no problems up until I hit 65, now it's time for someone else to do. My one stepson comes over from time to time and cuts wood for us. My wife and I use and old homemade hydrollic log splitter so we split and stack, while he saw's. I am also the saw maintenance man, so I am kept busy sharping and maintaining the old used Stihl saws, plus the splitting and stacking. I've been cutting wood from the age of 18 till 65. I am left handed and when I used to cut Wood I always did it the wrong way. I am lucky that I never lost control of my saws. So saying that I feel now that i am older, my luck may be running out, so no more sawing for me.
Let the young ones do it !
Even buying cut wood delivered was still too much work for me, so I replaced the great EPA wood stove with a coal stove. I had decided either the TLC or the Comfort Max, both good for both, but got the Vigilant 2 because it was at a reduced price when discontinued. A stove that burns both well is a consideration for the value of the house if you ever sell up. A fireplace adds thousands, and a parlor stove is in many ways better, if you cab watch the fire. My Vigilant works as an open fireplace with the doors open or lifted off, but puts out much more heat than a fireplace because it is all iron, unlike brick fireplaces..

My Tractor Supply got the coal for me (even though not sold in this area), but now they have a new manager who is trying to figure out how to do it when our warehouse does not stock it. But I have about 50 bags from last year at the old price, and bought a cord of wood for fall and spring. Our ten-day outlook is still warm, in the 50s/60s--even 80! So when I do burn wood, I won't have to reload in the middle of the night.

Actually, when it is chilly in the evenings I might make a wood fire, then before bed pour enough coal over the coals to last the night.

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Tue. Oct. 25, 2022 9:02 pm

mntbugy wrote:
Sat. Jan. 08, 2022 2:18 pm
Some people call a Dutch Oven by another name. Plus or Minus 3.

Example: A 10 inch D.O. requires 13 brickets under the the pot and 7 brickets on top of pot to do the cooking. Plus 3 on the bottom and minus 3 on the lid. Hence +/- 3.
Now that is some good information. Never heard it until now. Thank you!

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Tue. Oct. 25, 2022 9:04 pm

mntbugy wrote:
Sat. Jan. 08, 2022 6:11 pm
They didn't have apps in the early 1800's.

14 inch= 11 on top,17 on bottom.
Equals 28, same as app.

Just pulling your leg alittle. :clap:

I put alot of time in at Project 70, Lake Marburgh, trolling for Pike,Muskie and Lake Trout, mostly at night time.
Didn’t realize you liked to fish. You mentioned three I’ve never fished for, but would love to.

mntbugy
Hand Fed Coal Stove: D S 1500, Warm Moring 400
Baseburners & Antiques: Art Garland 145,GW114 ,Clarion 115, Vestal 20 Globe,New Royal22 Globe, Red Cross Oak 56,Acme Ventiduct 38,Radiant Airblast 626,Home Airblast 62,Moores #7,Moores 3way
Coal Size/Type: stove and nut and some bit
Other Heating: Propain

Post by mntbugy » Tue. Oct. 25, 2022 9:36 pm

Hoytman wrote:
Tue. Oct. 25, 2022 9:04 pm
Didn’t realize you liked to fish. You mentioned three I’ve never fished for, but would love to.
Fresh or Salt water fishing. Got everything except the boat.

As per Dutch Ovens +/- 3 works or -/+ 3 for cooking.

pintoplumber
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Burnham number series 17
Other Heating: Oil, forced hot air. Rheem

Post by pintoplumber » Wed. Oct. 26, 2022 11:50 am

I’ve been wanting to make apple dumplings in the Dutch Oven. A couple of weeks ago when we were camping I got my chance. Turned out pretty good. There’s a Dutch Oven calculator on the internet that shows the size of the oven, the temperature you want, and the number of brickets to use above and below.

Attachments

6E80E122-4C65-4B58-9F4D-03683B30FC80.jpeg
.JPEG | 1.3MB | 6E80E122-4C65-4B58-9F4D-03683B30FC80.jpeg
CB57616C-4249-4045-9089-90DFE70B7050.jpeg
.JPEG | 1.3MB | CB57616C-4249-4045-9089-90DFE70B7050.jpeg
4DA65CAA-A739-42A4-8C2D-BAEEFCDEA871.png
.PNG | 223.5KB | 4DA65CAA-A739-42A4-8C2D-BAEEFCDEA871.png
ED93AF2F-4F0B-42DF-B851-FB1151E1DB56.png
.PNG | 230.4KB | ED93AF2F-4F0B-42DF-B851-FB1151E1DB56.png

Hounds51

Post by Hounds51 » Thu. Oct. 27, 2022 10:03 am

Made this last night. It consisted of cut chicken strips fried in butter with green, wax beans and carrots with chicken gravy. Served with a side of mashed potatoes. All made on the TLC stove top, using wood as fuel.

Attachments

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”