Hitzer 55 and downdraft design

farok
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pioneer top vent
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Yukon/Eagle

Post by farok » Fri. Dec. 03, 2021 8:11 pm

I'm looking at the Hitzer 55 still as an option for the home we moved into. I keep reading that the stove is a downdraft design. I'm not sure exactly what this means for a coal stove. Does anyone have a cutaway picture or drawing of how the heat moves inside of this stove? I was under the impression it's just a large box, but it sounds like it might be a bit more complex than that.

Also, does the damper lever on the stove switch it from downdraft to "normal" operation? How would this be used when burning coal, or does it even get used?

I'm wondering how hot the top of the stove gets, as well as flue pipe temperatures, as well.

Thanks, all!

Chris

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Fri. Dec. 03, 2021 8:25 pm

Its quite different than the larger model's design. Yes, you can open it up to work like old box stoves work and some here do it that way. I wouldnt, but some do or had too for different reasons. The stove, when the lever is closed, the hot air goes along the sides and down so there isnt much wasted heat. Theres extra sheet metal inside to force the warm air against the sides. Without pics its hard to explain, at least for me.

I like the inside design better than the larger model.

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Fri. Dec. 03, 2021 9:08 pm

I would like to know more about each of these Hitzer stoves myself and see some good inside pictures explaining what’s going on.

farok

Post by farok » Sun. Dec. 05, 2021 2:29 pm

I guess nobody has any good pics of the inside of one of these?

Toddburn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 983/ Hitzer 55
Coal Size/Type: Nut anthracite/pea
Other Heating: Heat pump/forced air

Post by Toddburn » Sun. Dec. 05, 2021 5:32 pm

0D472EE9-F0E7-42CA-AFC8-B15D0C8C21C1.jpeg
.JPEG | 936KB | 0D472EE9-F0E7-42CA-AFC8-B15D0C8C21C1.jpeg
farok wrote:
Sun. Dec. 05, 2021 2:29 pm
I guess nobody has any good pics of the inside of one of these?
Here ya go friend.

Toddburn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 983/ Hitzer 55
Coal Size/Type: Nut anthracite/pea
Other Heating: Heat pump/forced air

Post by Toddburn » Sun. Dec. 05, 2021 6:02 pm

Warm description is what happens. I run my damper shut I close it about 10 minutes after tending the bottom molded piece is buried with the coal bed when running. Sucks gases and air up thru following the two pieces of sheet metal and into that box damper. Door on damper isn’t air tight so you still get top fire air sucking thru also. The system slows and evens things out so the bi metallic thermostat can do it’s job. Works real well.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sun. Dec. 05, 2021 7:42 pm

farok wrote:
Fri. Dec. 03, 2021 8:11 pm
I'm looking at the Hitzer 55 still as an option for the home we moved into. I keep reading that the stove is a downdraft design. I'm not sure exactly what this means for a coal stove. Does anyone have a cutaway picture or drawing of how the heat moves inside of this stove? I was under the impression it's just a large box, but it sounds like it might be a bit more complex than that.

Also, does the damper lever on the stove switch it from downdraft to "normal" operation? How would this be used when burning coal, or does it even get used?

I'm wondering how hot the top of the stove gets, as well as flue pipe temperatures, as well.

Thanks, all!

Chris
Hi Chris. Have you called any dealers in your area to see if they have a 55 you can look at it?

It is a simple and rugged stove.

farok

Post by farok » Tue. Dec. 07, 2021 11:36 am

Rob R. wrote:
Sun. Dec. 05, 2021 7:42 pm
Hi Chris. Have you called any dealers in your area to see if they have a 55 you can look at it?

It is a simple and rugged stove.
Good call - I think there's a dealer about an hour from me. I may just give them a call!

Chris

farok

Post by farok » Tue. Dec. 07, 2021 11:39 am

Toddburn wrote:
Sun. Dec. 05, 2021 6:02 pm
Warm description is what happens. I run my damper shut I close it about 10 minutes after tending the bottom molded piece is buried with the coal bed when running. Sucks gases and air up thru following the two pieces of sheet metal and into that box damper. Door on damper isn’t air tight so you still get top fire air sucking thru also. The system slows and evens things out so the bi metallic thermostat can do it’s job. Works real well.
Thanks for the photos and description! Now I have a better handle on how it works. If I can find one locally to see, that'd be ideal.

When you're low and slow, just idling along, how much coal do you go through in a day? It's got quite a large firebox, if I recall?

Are there any air passages above the firebox, or is it just open to the top plate? I assume and would expect that the top plate is more than 16 ga steel, and probably also throws the heat... but maybe not with the damper shut?

Chris

warminmn

Post by warminmn » Tue. Dec. 07, 2021 2:02 pm

Its open space up to that sliding door. i dont remember the steel thickness but think it tells on their website under the specs tab. Its not super heavy steel as heavy steel would cost more and waste more heat if I understand that correctly. Its plenty rugged enough. Your not going to hurt one unless you over fire it. Parts are cheap too, if you ever need any.

If you buy a new one and have to have it made, I'd call Hitzer and have them add a small round mica glass onto the door. I dont know what they charge for that but I added one to two box stove doors and its very useful for just checking on things quick, like being able to tell its burning ok so you can close the bottom door after loading. Its just an inch or 2 across, the window.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Tue. Dec. 07, 2021 2:04 pm

I would be surprised if they can add glass to the door without violating the UL approval.

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Tue. Dec. 07, 2021 2:32 pm

Rob R. wrote:
Tue. Dec. 07, 2021 2:04 pm
I would be surprised if they can add glass to the door without violating the UL approval.
Exactly. I asked Dean recently about this same matter. No go...likely for that reason too, Rob.

In the last three years I think I’ve asked Dean just about every question imaginable. LOL!

warminmn

Post by warminmn » Tue. Dec. 07, 2021 3:18 pm

Hmm, I remember someone here having it done. Perhaps I am mistaken. I'll scratch that from my memories, LOL

Guess we all have to do it ourselves.

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Tue. Dec. 07, 2021 3:43 pm

I cut a hole in my load door and used a piece of neoceram glass. I ordered from a web sight that specializes in such stuff.. I also ordered the glass over the draft break hole for the Axeman from them. Let me know if you need that web sight, I'll look it up.

farok

Post by farok » Tue. Dec. 07, 2021 4:40 pm

Thanks again, all. When you're burning real low, how little coal do you go through? In KY, we can get some warmer spells in the winter, up into the 60's, maybe even 70, and I'd rather just let the stove idle during the day instead of go out, as the evenings still get cooler.

Chris

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”