Too much ash buildup?

Hounds51
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 2 Legacy TLC 2000 one in the upper and 1 in the lower part of the house
Coal Size/Type: Wood and pea, nut ,stove and egg coal

Post by Hounds51 » Fri. Dec. 03, 2021 5:34 pm

btarby15 wrote:
Fri. Dec. 03, 2021 1:49 pm
I'll be more liberal with the bed depth, and ramp up to the back, see how it goes. Perhaps my problems are simple than I thought. I'll be sure to "rev" up the existing coal bed a little before adding new stuff.
I think you might be surprised on how well it works. If not you can always experiment or fine tune
Let us know how it works out for you.
Last edited by Hounds51 on Fri. Dec. 03, 2021 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Fri. Dec. 03, 2021 5:42 pm

If you're seeing coal ashing at the top of the fire you've already burned through it. Don't be bashful, load it up. Mound ii up for a colder nights.

Jerrybro

Post by Jerrybro » Fri. Dec. 03, 2021 9:55 pm

coaledsweat wrote:
Fri. Dec. 03, 2021 5:42 pm
If you're seeing coal ashing at the top of the fire you've already burned through it.
That statement is very insightful. It means that the service interval is too long for the amount of coal loaded and the operating conditions the stove is set to. More coal, a shorter service interval, or a change is the stove setup is required.

waytomany?s
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark II
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Looking
Baseburners & Antiques: Looking
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: newmac wood/coal combo furnace

Post by waytomany?s » Sat. Dec. 04, 2021 9:02 am

Jerrybro wrote:
Fri. Dec. 03, 2021 9:55 pm
That statement is very insightful. It means that the service interval is too long for the amount of coal loaded and the operating conditions the stove is set to. More coal, a shorter service interval, or a change is the stove setup is required.
Nailed it! Excellent description!

btarby15
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite, Stove
Other Heating: Heatmor 100CB

Post by btarby15 » Sun. Dec. 05, 2021 4:04 pm

Hounds51 wrote:
Fri. Dec. 03, 2021 5:34 pm
I think you might be surprised on how well it works. If not you can always experiment or fine tune
Let us know how it works out for you.
Started up the stove again last night, added some more firebrick and made a deeper bed of coal, maybe 14-16” in the back, sloped down to the front. Got a 12hr burn off the first load, which wasn’t completely coal cause of the wood under that started the fire. Loaded that full again this morning, still burning good. Although my blower seems to be blowing the heat right out the chimney, the fire was very hot and good but the water wasn’t keeping up, I shut the blower off and opened my ash cover just a quarter inch to get a natural draft…came home after church to the water temp being 205!! Wow! I guess the deeper bed puts off more heat, I’ll have to make other adjustments to keep the heat in and not overheat the system. Maybe put a magnet over half of the blower tube to cut the diameter/airflow so it doesn’t push it all up the chimney. Or add a damper into the triple wall chimney pipe.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sun. Dec. 05, 2021 4:31 pm

Sounds good so far B--:)

btarby15
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite, Stove
Other Heating: Heatmor 100CB

Post by btarby15 » Thu. Dec. 09, 2021 6:09 am

So far so good! It’s day 5, usually my fire is not so good by day 4. I’ve been keeping a 14-18” deep bed, sloped front to back. It’s been great, getting 12 hour burn times, probably even more if I needed to push it. I shake it twice a day, remove the ash once a day. I’ve had to start using a piece of rebar to breakup some ash at the bottom but it seems to do the trick just fine, the design doesn’t allow for a typical riddler. Thanks everyone for all the advice!

Hounds51
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 2 Legacy TLC 2000 one in the upper and 1 in the lower part of the house
Coal Size/Type: Wood and pea, nut ,stove and egg coal

Post by Hounds51 » Thu. Dec. 09, 2021 7:18 am

That's great! Glad to see you got it.
It ain't to hard,once you figured it out.
By ramping up your coal is constantly trying to burn towards the ramp.
Kinda like a glacier in reverse.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”