Yellow flame or Blue

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Sun. Nov. 21, 2021 11:26 am

Hoytman wrote:
Sun. Nov. 21, 2021 11:06 am
Was two years ago.

Just seen a recent t somewhere, where someone ordered a full ton and on the bottom of the bags laying on the pallet was a sheet of paper saying it was Kimmels coal. But yeah, I was aware of the same thing you said until seeing that post somewhere.

Not sure why the paper would be there unless it was a pallet left over somewhere. Odd, for sure. Can’t recall where I seen that but was a new post and as recent as a few weeks ago.

Pretty sure TSC was not carrying what we used to call it, "Kimmels kindling" coal then, so that's likely why you never had the yellow flame coal.

Paul

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Sun. Nov. 21, 2021 11:37 am

Sunny Boy wrote:
Sun. Nov. 21, 2021 11:26 am
Pretty sure TSC was not carrying what we used to call it, "Kimmels kindling" coal then, so that's likely why you never had the yellow flame coal.

Paul
Yeah, but that still doesn’t explain the recent post I seen somewhere (maybe in another forum hearthdot com) saying TSC was from Kimmels. I just assumed it wasn’t as most of you guys have been saying. That was a recent post and I assume a new skid of TSC.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Sun. Nov. 21, 2021 12:36 pm

Bill, I only heard of that one case recently of Kimmels showing up. I’d wait until a few others reported on seeing any Kimmels labels. Sometimes old buried stock could pop up out of nowhere.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Sun. Nov. 21, 2021 12:51 pm

McGiever wrote:
Sun. Nov. 21, 2021 12:36 pm
Bill, I only heard of that one case recently of Kimmels showing up. I’d wait until a few others reported on seeing any Kimmels labels. Sometimes old buried stock could pop up out of nowhere.
This.

My two TSC here, and the one by our house in Saratoga, haven't had Kimmels in many years. They switched to Contractor's brand for a couple of years, and then the Premium brand for the last several years.

But, like Mac pointed out, some stores may have had some old leftover stock Kimmels ????

If the ones near me still had Kimmels, I would have picked up a few bags to keep on hand just in case of the need to save a near-death firebed. ;)

Paul

WJSlater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Sr. & VERMONT CASTINGS VIGILANT 11
Coal Size/Type: Nut /Stove
Other Heating: Oil

Post by WJSlater » Sun. Nov. 21, 2021 1:08 pm

Things got better last night, I did the dollar test, all passed, I checked all the gaskets and pipe connections all looked good, I'm not running a barometer, I haven't since switching from the Chubby.
I must have hit something without knowing because last night it ran fine, I'm burning Blaschak nut coal.
Thanks for all the suggestions though Have a nice holiday everyone

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t

Post by Hoytman » Sun. Nov. 21, 2021 1:19 pm

McGiever wrote:
Sun. Nov. 21, 2021 12:36 pm
Very possible, Larry.

I could have sworn from that one post I seen the bags were mentioned as being the current “Premium” bags and under them the paper saying it was from Kimmels. Wish I knew where that post was from.

Anyway, still could be as Larry stated, or some other type of fluke I suppose. Maybe a re-used skid or something.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Sun. Nov. 21, 2021 2:49 pm

Maybe some more reports will come in and clear up where it is coming from currently.
More confusion either being accidental or on purpose, is that TSC leaves a Kimmels bag picture online through all this.

Hoytman

Post by Hoytman » Sun. Nov. 21, 2021 3:27 pm

I have 2 tons of Blashak nut and likely only need one or a jag more.

Was considering stocking up more with a ton of TSC nut if the price is right, but now you guys have me 2nd guessing that purchase. Would save me about $60 a ton not to mention nearly 4 hours of driving at gas prices this high.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”