Hitzer 503 Insert - Fan Noise

orrsmills

Post by orrsmills » Fri. Nov. 19, 2021 7:14 am

Hi folks,

I have a Hitzer 501 insert. This will be my 3rd year with the stove. Absolutely love this stove, especially after burning wood for 15 years.

The one fan on the stove is starting to make alittle noise. Do you guys periodically clean out the fans? Not sure if I take it out and blow some air on the fan might quiet it down. Any info would be appreciated.

Thx.
Mark

nepacoal
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KAA-4 / "Kelly" and an EFM 520 at my in-laws
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF-260 - retired
Coal Size/Type: Buck

Post by nepacoal » Fri. Nov. 19, 2021 8:08 am

The motor needs periodic oiling unless it's a sealed ball bearing motor... Look for little holes at each end of the shaft to check. It also helps efficiency if you clean off the fan blades each year or so.

Don't over oil, just 2 or 3 drops each year is more than enough. I use the blue 3 in 1. The zoom oiler is a great choice if your ports are hard to get at.

Attachments

motor-oil-carousel-1.jpg
.JPG | 19.3KB | motor-oil-carousel-1.jpg
images.jpeg
.JPEG | 7.7KB | images.jpeg

Gian4

Post by Gian4 » Fri. Nov. 19, 2021 10:04 am

Hi
I have a Hitzer 503 also. Those fan motors have sealed bearings that don't lend to lubrication. When your fan starts to make noise it usually means it's on it's way out. You can take it out and clean it/vacuum it and it might buy you some time but I'd order up another one to have at the ready. That's my experience for what it's worth.

orrsmills

Post by orrsmills » Fri. Nov. 19, 2021 6:43 pm

thanks for the replies. I cleaned the fan and so far it seems ok. a lot quieter. Well see how it goes.

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Fri. Nov. 19, 2021 8:12 pm

It might've just been outta balance due to dust build up on the squirrel cage.

Beeman
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 503

Post by Beeman » Mon. Nov. 29, 2021 5:37 am

I have a Hitzer 503 that I have used for years. I agree with Gian4---fan is likely on its way out. Nothing to lubricate on those fan motors. I have bought some time with a noisy vibrating cover to the fan by wedging a long fireplace starting match (just the wooden part, not the end that lights the match) into the fan housing somehow to stop the vibration. Cool enough there that the matchstick will not burn. My recommendation is to keep a left and a right replacement fan in stock so that you can swap fan motors on the fly. Not hard to do if you slow the fire as much as possible before making the swap. Good luck.

orrsmills

Post by orrsmills » Mon. Nov. 29, 2021 7:38 pm

Fan still running normal after the cleaning.

Gman1954
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman MagnaFire Elite Insert
Coal Size/Type: 40 LB Anthracite
Other Heating: Resistance Heat Pump

Post by Gman1954 » Tue. Dec. 07, 2021 9:28 am

Yeah one of my Harmon Insert fans starting making a racket last year.. Warning: Don't be tempted like I was to buy a slightly larger Fan for your Insert.. I bought a less expensive Gr--ger fan that I thought would fit, it's close, but just wouldn't, and I had the devil of a time installing it, cutting and grinding and using the old housing... Arghh. To top it off it's Noisier than the original smaller fan!
I run my fans with a rheostat on low to keep them quieter & I was hoping a higher volume would work... May have to replace the "new" fan with a nice quiet one = (more) expensive.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Tue. Dec. 07, 2021 10:40 am

Look to upgrade to a PSC motor…get away from those factory shaded pole motors.

One half the amps, 1/2 the heat, no sleeve bushing, but lifetime ball bearings so very quite.

They say no speed control but that is to keep folks from using light dimmers that could stall motor and overheat them. Use a “motor speed control” and all is good!

https://electricmotorwarehouse.com/

For speed control:
https://www.amazon.com/Fantech-WC-15-Control-Swit ... rol-Switch

Gian4

Post by Gian4 » Tue. Dec. 07, 2021 3:37 pm

I don't think they offer a ball bearing blower that will fit the Hitzer insert.

Gian4

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”