Has anyone burned stove coal in a Chubby

keegs
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby (main floor)
Coal Size/Type: nut

Post by keegs » Thu. Nov. 18, 2021 5:06 pm

Someone in my area is selling stove coal cheap. Never burned stove coal. Not sure how to burn it Should I mix it with nut? Does it burn hotter? Will it damage the grate ? Anyone have experience to share burning stove coal in a Chubby?

Toddburn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 983/ Hitzer 55
Coal Size/Type: Nut anthracite/pea
Other Heating: Heat pump/forced air

Post by Toddburn » Thu. Nov. 18, 2021 5:40 pm

Cheap is good, you could always bust it up. If stove size is no good in a chubby.

keegs

Post by keegs » Thu. Nov. 18, 2021 5:55 pm

I'm with you .... I'm thinking someone out there has experience with it and can provide some insight on the differences and how best to use it.

D-frost
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman MK ll
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Yukon Eagle I (multi-fuel oil, wood/coal)
Baseburners & Antiques: Herald 'fireside oak'
Coal Size/Type: nut/stove-Blaschak/Lehigh

Post by D-frost » Thu. Nov. 18, 2021 6:17 pm

keegs,
I tried mixing 50/50 with nut......it will burn ok.....found it burnt cleaner in the Herald(deeper fire pot and different grate)......only tried it a couple of times.......but, cheap is good, and it has a name you can trust!!!!!
Cheers

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Thu. Nov. 18, 2021 6:26 pm

keegs wrote:
Thu. Nov. 18, 2021 5:06 pm
Someone in my area is selling stove coal cheap. Never burned stove coal. Not sure how to burn it Should I mix it with nut? Does it burn hotter? Will it damage the grate ? Anyone have experience to share burning stove coal in a Chubby?
It won't hurt anything, but you may find it is tough to get the fire as low as you want. Before hauling a bunch of it home I would call Larry Trainer and get his thoughts.

keegs

Post by keegs » Fri. Nov. 19, 2021 11:29 am

Rob R. wrote:
Thu. Nov. 18, 2021 6:26 pm
It won't hurt anything, but you may find it is tough to get the fire as low as you want. Before hauling a bunch of it home I would call Larry Trainer and get his thoughts.
Larry mentioned that the stove coal may not burn as well due to the gaps between the larger pieces. He thought mixing it with smaller sizes could make a difference but wasn't sure. He also had some concerns about the quality of the coal, specifically the ash content. I'm not all that fussy as long as I can keep a fire going with it without too much trouble. He recommended trying it out before committing to loading up on it. That makes sense.... but I'm still not sure what I'm going to do though. Hauling it home on my wee trailer will be a chore but the price has my interest.

HandFire
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS 110
Coal Size/Type: Stove/Nut

Post by HandFire » Fri. Nov. 19, 2021 11:57 am

I burn stove coal in a much larger, different design stove. I would try a middle layer ( some chunks ) between 2 layers of nut. It flows a lot of air which requires a deep bed. Your probably not going to be able to burn much at a time in ratio to nut with the capacity of a Chubby. Not sure you'd be happy with the results. On the other hand, you could crush it up in smaller pieces. Then you could yourself a Breaker.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Fri. Nov. 19, 2021 11:59 am

For a cheap price I'd crush it smaller somehow and burn it in my Jr. Maybe contact member Den034071 (Jack) and ask him how he breaks coal up unless someone else knows how.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Fri. Nov. 19, 2021 12:11 pm

I ran a pallet of Lehigh stove size through my stoves as a trial few years ago. Because stove coal size averages larger than nut, as mentioned above, so are the air spaces. That not only has an effect on how dampers need to be set, it effects burn times, too.

No matter what you burn it in, stove coal has less fuel density when compared to nut coal in the same space. My test showed a difference of about 10% by weight.

With the stoves dampered to the same heat level output, the stove coal needed to be refueled about 10% sooner. However long your Chubby runs on nut coal between refueling, shorten that time interval about 10% because of that lesser fuel density.

Paul

tcalo
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40
Coal Size/Type: Nut/stove anthracite

Post by tcalo » Fri. Nov. 19, 2021 12:32 pm

I’ve burned both nut and stove coal in my suspended pot stoves. Like mentioned already:

- Burns hotter
- Quicker recovery times after tending
- You can’t idle as low
- A deeper fire pot is preferred
- Shorter burn times

keegs

Post by keegs » Fri. Nov. 19, 2021 12:49 pm

Thank you all for your suggestions. We're heading el norte after the holiday for a week or so. The coal is in 55 gallon drums. If it's still available I'll see if they'll sell me a drum and if it works out I'll go back for more.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”