alaska kodiac - hand fired

pawinters
Hand Fed Coal Stove: alaska kodiac
Coal Size/Type: nut

Post by pawinters » Wed. Nov. 10, 2021 9:04 pm

Hi , I am NEW here. I live in a 1800 stone house no insulation , leaky windows . Been heating with a Quadra 4300 wood stove, older model . It can do the job but in the mornings its down to coals and so is the temps. I also don't have time to cut wood. Went thru 11 cords 2 yrs ago . Anyway , I just installed a used Kodiac hand fired nut coal 15 k to 100k . Works good . Even burns with a temp of 70 degrees outside . We had temps of 21 in the mornings. Nice to wake up to a warm fire burning. I am wondering if you guys think it will keep up when its single digits and wind of 30mph this is usual here . Also it has an optional area to put on a blower fan (don't have one) WILL IT MAKE A BIG DIFFERENCE TO WARM THE HOUSE? I should say its in the living room and it has an open area for the heat to rise in the 2 story house and its 2400 sq ft , It also has a hopper that I fill that is gravity fed .Thanks, Tom

ShawnLiNy
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Waterford
Coal Size/Type: Nut

Post by ShawnLiNy » Thu. Nov. 11, 2021 12:25 am

Good stove Tom , the blower will definitely help to distribute heat ( if you can get the cooler air down to the stove room that makes a huge difference) if you can find stove size that will help on really cold days mix 15-30% in with the Nut that’ll give you much more air flow

artbaldoni
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Alaska Kodiak
Other Heating: O W/C B

Post by artbaldoni » Thu. Nov. 11, 2021 7:19 am

I have this stove and it will do the job for you. The hopper will help with time between tending. They like to build ash in the corners, so be sure to give a few pokes from the top when you shake down. As for the fan, it will help a lot. I put a variable control on mine so I can dial in the fan speed to get the optimum amount of air for the temp of the stove. Less air at a lower stove temp, more when its cold out and you have the stove really cooking. Does yours have the bimetallic air damper? If so its a "set it and forget it" unit. And as Shawn said, air circulation is key. I haven't tried any stove size in mine yet. Good luck!

Hounds51
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 2 Legacy TLC 2000 one in the upper and 1 in the lower part of the house
Coal Size/Type: Wood and pea, nut ,stove and egg coal

Post by Hounds51 » Thu. Nov. 11, 2021 8:20 am

When you hook up your fan, if you have any electrical wiring experience, you could install a snap thermostat to your stove. This will turn your fan on and off at set temperatures. You can experiment with the placement of the snap disc to find your sweet spot to turn your fan on and off at your desired temperatures. To learn more about snap discs use the search feature. They are listed on E-Bay as Magnetic Thermostat Switch Fireplace Fan/Fireplace Blower Durable. Here is one that is listed on E-Bay https://www.ebay.com/itm/265382015371?hash=item3d ... SwzURhe9kR

pawinters

Post by pawinters » Fri. Nov. 12, 2021 7:47 pm

Shawn-
I have tried some stove coal Thanks for the tip

Art- Yes mine has the temp damper door on back . One complaint on that is the door will sit there and tap back and forth like a drum, that can be annoying . That happens when it is near closing , when reaches temp. I even put a little weight on it .Does yours do that ? Any advice to stop that ?
I checked on a blower fan today and that is 250.00 I think I will try to make something instead .

Hounds- That's a great idea i will check it out . Thanks

rberq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300 with hopper
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Nut
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators (fuel oil); propane

Post by rberq » Fri. Nov. 12, 2021 10:59 pm

pawinters wrote:
Fri. Nov. 12, 2021 7:47 pm
... the door will sit there and tap back and forth like a drum, that can be annoying . That happens when it is near closing , when reaches temp.
Hitzer mounts a small magnet like those on cabinet doors. It has to be placed so the draft door won't quite touch the magnet when closed. When the door reaches the chattering point the magnet pulls enough to keep it closed, until the stove cools enough that the thermostat pops it open again. Also see this link:
Cool Trick for Hitzer Thermostat Flap

Alternatively I think I remember somebody attaching a paper clip (or similar) such that the door could never quite close all the way -- always stays open to the thickness of the paper clip wire with minimal air flow.

My stove has a similar setup to yours, but I never had the chattering problem, so I can't vouch for either of the above solutions.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Sat. Nov. 13, 2021 10:24 am

With having fan model or other specs one can purchase it from other less costly sources.

Www.electricmotorwarehouse.com

ShawnLiNy
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Waterford

Post by ShawnLiNy » Sat. Nov. 13, 2021 12:49 pm

Amazon is An additional source for replacement blowers ( complete kits thermal switch , speed control etc) just need the approximate dimensions and style ( they start at like 80- ( I’ve been thinking about making a mount to attach one to my non blower stove )

pawinters

Post by pawinters » Sat. Nov. 13, 2021 9:32 pm

rberg -- I did the magnent trick and its working . Thanks

McGiever - thanks I will check those out

Shawn- Thanks, I will that out .

Rich W.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vermont Castings Vigilant Multi-Fuel (coal for me); Vermont Castings Vigilant 2310 in the shop
Other Heating: System 2000 Oil Burner; VC Resolute Woodstove (sold) Jotul 8 Woodstove (sold)

Post by Rich W. » Sun. Nov. 14, 2021 6:32 pm

Mine used to tap so I twisted the flap slightly and that solved the problem.

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Sun. Nov. 14, 2021 7:02 pm

McGiever wrote:
Sat. Nov. 13, 2021 10:24 am
With having fan model or other specs one can purchase it from other less costly sources.

Www.electricmotorwarehouse.com
Source much appreciated, Larry. Thank you.

Going to see if they have a replacement for about 50+ year old bathroom exhaust fan. It might be from the early 60’s.

pawinters

Post by pawinters » Tue. Nov. 23, 2021 9:00 pm

Hi All,
So I am running it like a small block chevy ,nearly wide open . I had no blower fan . It will eat a full hopper just running at night in this old drafty house . I got some sheet metal and made a heat intake to fit in the back on the bottom of the stove . I had a muffin fan off of amazon that fits into the back . We will see how it does tonight in the low 20s .

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”