Yukon Big Jack - can't seem to get coal to work

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Wed. Jan. 05, 2022 3:31 pm

Khan1969 wrote:
Wed. Jan. 05, 2022 2:58 pm
Ok, so it's official, when it hits zero with high winds I loose about 8 degrees in 7 hours and even with the induction blower cover cut back to half open I'm still getting fairly large klinkers any less than half open I can't get enough heat to keep the house warm.
Well, you have gone down swinging - but I am thinking this Yukon just isn't going to rise to the challenge of heating your house with coal. You might be able to make some incremental improvements, but it will likely always be a frustrating experience. Hopefully you are able to work through the coal you bought.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Wed. Jan. 05, 2022 8:34 pm

What you’re doing isn’t working sadly.

Yup up to 20 pages here now and no joy.

waytomany?s
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark II
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Looking
Baseburners & Antiques: Looking
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: newmac wood/coal combo furnace

Post by waytomany?s » Wed. Jan. 05, 2022 9:20 pm

McGiever wrote:
Wed. Jan. 05, 2022 8:34 pm
What you’re doing isn’t working sadly.

Yup up to 20 pages here now and no joy.
Whaddya mean no joy? Just think of all the extra hours of sleep he got with the extended burn times! And all the wood he saved! So what he found out coal only works down to a certain temp. He learned lots, I'd argue knowledge IS joy. :yes:

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Wed. Jan. 05, 2022 9:28 pm

I would try Lightning's suggestion of removing the extra bricks. The low stack temperature shows the stove can take a bigger fire. Ash buildup along the sides can be cleared from above. Perhaps drill a series of holes where the bricks sat. Try one side to see if there is a noticeable difference.

lee192233
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Yukon Eagle Big Jack Wood/Coal
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Nut
Other Heating: Carrier 96 % Propane Furnace

Post by lee192233 » Thu. Jan. 06, 2022 2:08 am

Here's a pic of my first coal fire in my Big Jack. Way too shallow I know.
coal fire 1.jpg
.JPG | 588.6KB | coal fire 1.jpg
I burned coal for two weeks without extra fire bricks and I ended up with dead spots along both sides of the grate. I'm not sure how one would clear the ash on the sides from above. If any body has any solutions I'm all ears. I'd like to get more output from mine as well when it's below zero.
Here's a view inside the firebox if anyone's curious.
Fire box view.jpg
.JPG | 1.2MB | Fire box view.jpg
I have a question for you far more experienced coal burners. What has more effect on the output of a coal fire, the square footage of the firebed or the depth or a combination of both? When I have the extra bricks lining the sides I can easily have a 12" deep coal bed when I fill it up. If I were to run without any bricks I'd have a maximum of 7" on the sides and could probably pile it up to 12" in the center. I'm sure that would put out more heat but I think effective ash removal would be a problem.

Thanks for any input.

Looking back I wish I'd have known about the qualities of coal and installed a DS or Hitzer furnace when we built our house. I think a dedicated coal burner is a better solution if coal is the primary fuel.

Lee

fig
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF360
Hand Fed Coal Stove: T.O.M (Warm Morning converted to baseburner by Steve) Round Oak 1917 Door model O-3, Warm Morning 400, Warm Morning 524, Warm Morning 414,Florence No.77, Warm Morning 523-b
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 7.1/DS Machine basement stove/ Harman SF1500
Baseburners & Antiques: Renown Parlor stove 87B
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous/anthracite
Other Heating: Harman Accentra, enviro omega, Vermont Ironworks Elm stove, Quadrafire Mt Vernon, Logwood stove, Sotz barrel stove,

Post by fig » Thu. Jan. 06, 2022 1:49 pm

Can you remove that grate and replace it with the one in the link. I did that with my first Hot Blast furnace and it worked great!

https://www.amazon.com/US-Stove-G42-Large-Logwood ... 674&sr=8-4

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Thu. Jan. 06, 2022 1:58 pm

Yeah I forgot that has a stationary grate in it, right? He also needs an ash sword to slide in on top the grate to riddle ash. That worked awesome with my Clayton.. I think its even better than shakable grates.

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Thu. Jan. 06, 2022 3:33 pm

Here's a fun read when you get a chance.. its all about my adventures in riddling. Check out the V shaped firebox.

Riddle Method for Ash Clearing

Khan1969
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Yukon Big Jack
Coal Size/Type: Nut / Anthracite

Post by Khan1969 » Mon. Jan. 10, 2022 1:35 pm

lee192233 wrote:
Thu. Jan. 06, 2022 2:08 am
Here's a pic of my first coal fire in my Big Jack. Way too shallow I know.
coal fire 1.jpg
I burned coal for two weeks without extra fire bricks and I ended up with dead spots along both sides of the grate. I'm not sure how one would clear the ash on the sides from above. If any body has any solutions I'm all ears. I'd like to get more output from mine as well when it's below zero.
Here's a view inside the firebox if anyone's curious.
Fire box view.jpg
I have a question for you far more experienced coal burners. What has more effect on the output of a coal fire, the square footage of the firebed or the depth or a combination of both? When I have the extra bricks lining the sides I can easily have a 12" deep coal bed when I fill it up. If I were to run without any bricks I'd have a maximum of 7" on the sides and could probably pile it up to 12" in the center. I'm sure that would put out more heat but I think effective ash removal would be a problem.

Thanks for any input.

Looking back I wish I'd have known about the qualities of coal and installed a DS or Hitzer furnace when we built our house. I think a dedicated coal burner is a better solution if coal is the primary fuel.

Lee
definately major dead spots on the sides and for some reason thats where the klinkers seem to get the biggest and gather, I've cut the air flow back and we're still burning a 120 pounds a day now in the subzero temps and at night we're loosing 5-7 degrees which takes most of the day to rebuild only to loose again at night. Now granted I have a extremely old drafty house. But we never had these problems with wood except when the fire went out.

Khan1969
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Yukon Big Jack
Coal Size/Type: Nut / Anthracite

Post by Khan1969 » Mon. Jan. 10, 2022 1:38 pm

Lightning wrote:
Thu. Jan. 06, 2022 1:58 pm
Yeah I forgot that has a stationary grate in it, right? He also needs an ash sword to slide in on top the grate to riddle ash. That worked awesome with my Clayton.. I think its even better than shakable grates.
I have 2 hardened steel rods that have been ground to fit between the slots in the grates and cut through them quite nicely. Removes the ash from the top quickly and effectively and doesn't require my Arthridic ass getting down on the floor.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”