My stove won't fit! I need help

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Mon. Nov. 29, 2021 5:11 pm

Burner wrote:
Mon. Nov. 29, 2021 4:48 pm
That is a beautiful piece of tinfoil, but with no context, I'm lost as to why you are sharing this with me. :lol: Did i missing something?

UPDATE! nvm, Now I see the rest of the pictures! Perfect! I'm going to do that now! Such a simple fix.
Make shift fix....that’s all. Something to get you by until a better idea comes along. I’m sure someone will have a better idea and a more permanent idea for you.

You might even put the washer in place, then where I have use aluminum foil you could try a good bead of this latex sealant, which is not permanent. That would allow the washer to spin freely against side of stove.

It might sort of bond the washer to shaker grate rod extension and help hold washer in place semi-tight against stove. You will still get some air leakage between washer and stove, but at least most air would be stopped. Sealant can be peeled right off too when you’re ready.

https://www.rutland.com/product/seal-it-right-fle ... aec8db952d

Burner

Post by Burner » Mon. Nov. 29, 2021 5:36 pm

D-frost wrote:
Mon. Nov. 29, 2021 5:10 pm
fiberglass gasket to seal the ash door, washer and JB weld to seal the shaker rod, metal tape and high temp silicon up top on the flue. And the leg holes(you have bolts)

Roger that! Thank you for clarifying!
Hoytman wrote:
Mon. Nov. 29, 2021 5:11 pm
Make shift fix....that’s all. Something to get you by until a better idea comes along. I’m sure someone will have a better idea and a more permanent idea for you.

You might even put the washer in place, then where I have use aluminum foil you could try a good bead of this latex sealant, which is not permanent. That would allow the washer to spin freely against side of stove.

It might sort of bond the washer to shaker grate rod extension and help hold washer in place semi-tight against stove. You will still get some air leakage between washer and stove, but at least most air would be stopped. Sealant can be peeled right off too when you’re ready.

https://www.rutland.com/product/seal-it-right-fle ... aec8db952d
Ahh great idea! Is this rutland stuff what most of you all here recommend? If I'm not mistaken, I think I saw some of this over at my local coal shop, but it only says 600 deg. Given that I already had an overfire, just incase, should I go with something that can tolerate a bit more temp?

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t

Post by Hoytman » Mon. Nov. 29, 2021 5:44 pm

It’s new....800F rating too...and black.

Hoytman

Post by Hoytman » Mon. Nov. 29, 2021 5:52 pm

Take some metal foil tape, as mentioned, and place several pieces around the shaker grate rod coming through side of stove. Enough of it in short pieces will act just like the tin foil in my pictures. Any thing that will work for you. The pictures were to sour thoughts for other possible means of fixing it. Your stove is a Buck, mine, a Hitzer, so ideas won’t totally mesh. Just food for thought, more or less.

Burner

Post by Burner » Mon. Nov. 29, 2021 6:00 pm

Hoytman wrote:
Mon. Nov. 29, 2021 5:52 pm
Take some metal foil tape, as mentioned, and place several pieces around the shaker grate rod coming through side of stove. Enough of it in short pieces will act just like the tin foil in my pictures. Any thing that will work for you. The pictures were to sour thoughts for other possible means of fixing it. Your stove is a Buck, mine, a Hitzer, so ideas won’t totally mesh. Just food for thought, more or less.
Oh i didnt realize it was 800* my bad. That will work great! I ordered a tube. I will post some updated photos again, and hopefully a little video of it running once all these kinks are worked out.

Thanks for all the input everyone!

Hoytman

Post by Hoytman » Mon. Nov. 29, 2021 6:25 pm

Just note it is a flexible sealant. Also note there will always be some leakage around shaker handles like that. All we’re trying to do is minimize it. The sealant will not stay on any moving part. Can also be used to seal your pipe, but insulation works just as good.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”