Annual Tractor Supply Big Sale on Coal

Hounds51
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 2 Legacy TLC 2000 one in the upper and 1 in the lower part of the house
Coal Size/Type: Wood and pea, nut ,stove and egg coal

Post by Hounds51 » Mon. Nov. 29, 2021 11:34 am

Bubbalowe wrote:
Mon. Nov. 29, 2021 11:30 am
From my days working for a bit coal coal company run of mine was unsized coal loaded directly from pit. TSC coal is washed and sized so isn't run of mine. The little bit of fines that does show up most likely comes from handling, all brands bagged coal have a little.
So true. The more it's handled/shipped the more chances of breaking the coal down.

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Mon. Nov. 29, 2021 11:47 am

I have found that there are lots of interchangeable terms between bituminous mining and anthracite mining. For instance "tipple" and "breaker" mean the same thing. I'm sure there are others. If you lived in one area and wasn't familiar with the other type of coal, then you wouldn't know these terms without learning them from a place like this or unless you were a coal "guru" of some sort.

TSC anthracite, if it's washed...it probably is, but notice how I wrote that...it isn't washed very well...too many fines in it and one of the things I complain about with it. It's sizing is all over the map from dust to pieces 1.5"-2" thick and up to 4" long. I wouldn't necessarily call that "sizing" and compare it to say Blashak nut anthracite, thought it is certainly some type of "sizing". In the past it has burned very well for me...very well.

steveleslieg
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: Dovre oil

Post by steveleslieg » Mon. Nov. 29, 2021 12:09 pm

I washed my when I bought it in Oct.

Attachments

coal.jpg
.JPG | 1.1MB | coal.jpg

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t

Post by Hoytman » Mon. Nov. 29, 2021 12:59 pm

Looks real nice!

Any details on how you did this, for those reading into the future? Do you have a coal bin? I’ve thought building a bin to hold about 3-4 ton. Then again, I’ve thought about buying a tractor trailer load of nut as well.

OTR
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: Crown Royal 7200 (OWB)

Post by OTR » Mon. Nov. 29, 2021 2:33 pm

There was a Black Friday sale at my local TSC for $5/bag of rice coal (no nut coal available). Still going on today so far as I know, but not sure if this was a local-only sale (upstate NY).

Hoytman

Post by Hoytman » Mon. Nov. 29, 2021 5:30 pm

Wait! Just realized that tractor trailer load of nut will last me about 23 years. :what:

Toddburn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 983/ Hitzer 55
Coal Size/Type: Nut anthracite/pea
Other Heating: Heat pump/forced air

Post by Toddburn » Fri. Dec. 17, 2021 4:11 pm

971199C3-DD4F-41B7-BB7F-24BAA28BCF6C.jpeg
.JPEG | 1.1MB | 971199C3-DD4F-41B7-BB7F-24BAA28BCF6C.jpeg
was at Tractor Supply for the special a few weeks ago, got a rain check it came in yesterday. 2/10.00 didn’t really need it but figured what the hell even though it was 20 bucks more than when I got a load of bagged from Penn Keystone. I’ll report back tomorrow on how it burns. This pallet had no tags on where it came from. Clean as a whistle wrapped pallet and bags, dry as a bone and sizing works for me a few fines but nothing to complain about. Whoever packed this gets a grade of A. If I had to guess I’d say this is Reading coal. The few bags I tried from Reading before was good coal but a tad damp from being stored outside. This most likely was just packaged.

Hoytman

Post by Hoytman » Fri. Dec. 17, 2021 5:40 pm

Looks good to me. Less fines for sure than what I had.

My left over ton of Blashak nut is dry as a bone as well. The bags have pin holes in them so it’s likely dry from sitting in my garage all year.

Guess I am going to wait for next years Black Friday sale.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Fri. Dec. 17, 2021 6:04 pm

They had a 2 for $12 sale last year too. I think in January. Todd, your coal looks good.

charlesosborne2002
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant II 2310
Other Heating: natural gas central forced air

Post by charlesosborne2002 » Sat. Dec. 18, 2021 4:30 pm

Gman1954 wrote:
Mon. Nov. 15, 2021 11:13 am
HEAR THIS TRUE Horror Story: I tried to BUY any "Nut Coal" at my local western NC Tractor Supply (like last year) and I COULD NOT! I can't buy online NOR Order it! I called and they said they had plenty in the "Distribution Center" and they'd "Rain Check" it for me. I waited a couple of weeks, no calls no nothing.. Turns out that TSC DOES NOT SUPPLY NUT COAL into my neck of the woods: western North Carolina anymore!! WTH!! No Explanations from Corporate, when I talked to the Mgr at the local Store, who was talking to them..
[Kicker is: I found some in SC forty miles away, farther south!] Store COULD NOT EVEN ORDER IT!!
What are they Doing? Btw, they couldn't "See" the coal at the SC store, my sister in law found it, online..
Anyone Know HOW to Get someone to DELIVER a PALLET of NUT COAL to NORTH CAROLINA ? I'm trying VA suppliers now... Looks like I'll have to drive 4 hrs to pick it up!
For years my local TSC believed they could not order it. I found that another TSC store 30 miles away did get it for local blacksmiths, and gave my store that managers' phone number. She called him and she was happy to find out she could indeed order it. I don't know what the trick to it was, but in the past he had tried to get it for years, now stocks it for me and blacksmiths all the time. I happened to buy some when it was 2/$10 this year, but the store did not know it was on sale (in this area, it was not advertised, but the register picked up sale price automatically). So I don't know when it is on sale--regular price is $6.49, same as in coal country.
By the way, I have seen on this site people who buy it at TSC in Georgia and in Alabama--I am in KY on the Mississippi River, far from coal country.

charlesosborne2002
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant II 2310
Other Heating: natural gas central forced air

Post by charlesosborne2002 » Sat. Dec. 18, 2021 4:31 pm

charlesosborne2002 wrote:
Sat. Dec. 18, 2021 4:30 pm
For years my local TSC believed they could not order it. I found that another TSC store 30 miles away did get it for local blacksmiths, and gave my store that managers' phone number. She called him and she was happy to find out she could indeed order it. I don't know what the trick to it was, but in the past she had tried to get it for years, now stocks it for me and blacksmiths all the time. I happened to buy some when it was 2/$10 this year, but the store did not know it was on sale (in this area, it was not advertised, but the register picked up sale price automatically). So I don't know when it is on sale--regular price is $6.49, same as in coal country.
By the way, I have seen on this site people who buy it at TSC in Georgia and in Alabama--I am in KY on the Mississippi River, far from coal country.
I did tell them I had a coal-only stove for heat, so they knew I would buy in quantity over time--that might have been a consideration.

Ultralume
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vermont Castings Vigilant II, Godin 3720, Godin 3731
Coal Size/Type: Pea, Nut and Stove Coal

Post by Ultralume » Sun. Dec. 19, 2021 10:24 pm

With all this talk about TSC coal, I noticed something odd. I dismissed it at first but have been able to repeat my finding. I noticed that a 40 pound bag of TSC nut coal has a little more coal in it than a 40 pound bag of Blaschak nut coal. 1 bag of Blaschak fills up a big plastic bucket 100%. A bag of TSC fills it 100% and less than a quarter bucket more. I realize that this observation isn’t scientific since I have not weighed the bags...but get the same reproducible result each time I compare the two brands. Has anyone observed the same? I realize that this sounds like blasphemy since Blaschak is worshiped by forum members and TSC is often criticized... but I can’t help but think that I’m not the only one that has noticed the difference .....

Hoytman

Post by Hoytman » Sun. Dec. 19, 2021 11:07 pm

What I said was true, but I deleted it. :lol: :yes:
Last edited by Hoytman on Sun. Dec. 19, 2021 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fig
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF360
Hand Fed Coal Stove: T.O.M (Warm Morning converted to baseburner by Steve) Round Oak 1917 Door model O-3, Warm Morning 400, Warm Morning 524, Warm Morning 414,Florence No.77, Warm Morning 523-b
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 7.1/DS Machine basement stove/ Harman SF1500
Baseburners & Antiques: Renown Parlor stove 87B
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous/anthracite
Other Heating: Harman Accentra, enviro omega, Vermont Ironworks Elm stove, Quadrafire Mt Vernon, Logwood stove, Sotz barrel stove,

Post by fig » Sun. Dec. 19, 2021 11:40 pm

:stfu: don’t let the cat outta the bag!

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Sun. Dec. 19, 2021 11:43 pm

By volume I agree. By weight I dont know with any certainty. Anytime I bothered to weigh either they were around 40 pounds but I never really got carried away with that. Both or any brand would have to be a bone dry comparison for any accuracy.

But thats the thing. Blaschak is the same bag to bag to bag to bag to bag. TSC can be the best I ever had in one bag and worst in the next. I havent had one of those worst bags in several years though. Rocks were the worst but I havent had any in a long while.

For the right price its a good/great deal. Its all about cost with it. im burning it now. I'll buy it again. It just has to be a fair amount cheaper. With freight going up it could be my best deal a year from now, who knows.

I type this as my house is a steady and balmy 78 degrees at bedtime.... gotta love the black rocks, no matter the flavor, size or brand!

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”