Warm Morning 617A grate ring damage

Luckystar
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 617A,
Baseburners & Antiques: Languillier, Charleville; Kalamazoo "Champion", "Lexington"; "Revere". Paris Range
Coal Size/Type: nut
Other Heating: masonry heater

Post by Luckystar » Tue. Oct. 12, 2021 10:34 pm

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to replace a sagging grate ring on this stove? Grate and slide are fine but the ring itself has been deformed by many years of burning coal. The only one I could find online fits the WM414 or WM428 stove. It's probably too small. Can I substitute plate steel?

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Wed. Oct. 13, 2021 9:04 am

Welcome , Lucky.

One choice is to have a new grate ring recast using your old one as a pattern- even though it's wrapped. They can straighten it enough to use as a pattern, or even work with cracked/broken grate parts.

Tomahawk Foundry specializes in recasting antique stove parts. Many of us antique stove users have had parts recast by them. They may even have patterns for some of the more common parts needing replacement.

You could give them a call, or email them with pix of what you have. They have given me estimates based on pix and some measurements I emailed them. Very fast service, too.

https://www.tomahawkfoundry.com/home

Paul

Luckystar
Baseburners & Antiques: Languillier, Charleville; Kalamazoo "Champion", "Lexington"; "Revere". Paris Range

Post by Luckystar » Wed. Oct. 13, 2021 12:30 pm

Thanks Paul for the lead. I haven't taken the stove apart yet, but I guess I'll have to do it to get to the slide. I'll check out the foundry to see if they have the pattern for my stove.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Wed. Oct. 13, 2021 3:05 pm

L, like Paul said--if you have the old ring/slide or which ever part that is de-formed the foundry can use the de-formed part to make a new one.

Luckystar

Post by Luckystar » Wed. Oct. 13, 2021 3:25 pm

I appreciate the info. I just emailed the foundry to find out if by chance they might have the pattern for the slide ring. If not I asked for information they need to make a replacement. Thanks to all who are helping me with this.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Wed. Oct. 13, 2021 4:55 pm

That's what we do L!! :)

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”