Hitzer 354, how hot?

newheatcoalwood

Post by newheatcoalwood » Mon. Oct. 11, 2021 3:55 pm

Looking to buy a Hitzer.
Deciding between 55, 82, or 354...
IF you have a 354, does the top of your unit get hot enough to bring liquid to a simmer (180F+)
We are planning to buy a unit without a blower, electricity my not always be an option at our location.

Thank you in advance.

buffalo bob
Hand Fed Coal Stove: hitzer 354 and a 254
Coal Size/Type: anthracite nut

Post by buffalo bob » Mon. Oct. 11, 2021 4:43 pm

i run my 354 at 600* when its cold out usually 350* to 450* if u get the radiant model it will boil water at 400* i have the fan model and it won't boil water, regret that as i never have to use the fan...next one will be radiant...luv mine but would like a radiant better...B.B.

newheatcoalwood

Post by newheatcoalwood » Mon. Oct. 11, 2021 4:52 pm

BB!
Thank you! The Amish fellow at the dealer didn't think it could get that hot because of the thickness of the top, even on the radiant model, but I don't think he was as familiar with that model as he was with the 52 and 88 models.
I just need it to be able to get liquid to 180...
Thank you for that!

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Mon. Oct. 11, 2021 10:53 pm

My blower model, even in the cold of late winter, runs at 300F-350F measured at top of doors, and I don’t recall seeing a stove top temperature higher than that in the picture...and notice what top of door temperature was when I snapped that photo. Seems the top only gets so hot at my highest running temp of 350F, and at that point even with the blower off it starts moving a lot of convection air on its own.

I barely get much vapor from my water can. Rarely can I see any vapor and rarely do I add water...maybe once all winter and then I only add a few cups full into my coffee pot.

I can’t say how hot the top would get...never had to run it hard at all as my numbers above indicate. BB runs his much harder than I need to. Hope the pictures can help you.

newheatcoalwood

Post by newheatcoalwood » Tue. Oct. 12, 2021 8:05 am

Hoytman wrote:
Mon. Oct. 11, 2021 10:53 pm
I can’t say how hot the top would get...never had to run it hard at all as my numbers above indicate. BB runs his much harder than I need to. Hope the pictures can help you.
So, what are your thoughts on a radiant model...
Is it possible to get the surface between 180-200 for 30-60 minutes on occasion. BB believes so, what say you?

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t

Post by Hoytman » Tue. Oct. 12, 2021 10:16 am

Before I commit to even vaguely answering that question...

-What size home are you looking to heat with this stove? How many square feet is it?

-How well insulated?

-What type and size chimney liner do you have? How tall is the chimney?

newheatcoalwood

Post by newheatcoalwood » Tue. Oct. 12, 2021 10:23 am

Sorry, I didn't think all that mattered when talking about how hot the surface of a stove can get...

-My primary floor is over 2400 sq ft, no upstairs, but a small vaulted ceiling in one room.
The open area around the stove, not including the bedrooms down the hallways is around 1000 sq ft
-The home is very well insulated, brick facade, built in 2007.
-We do not currently have anything, we are having a guy come today to quote the install of a wood stove.
The attic height at the stove location is 6-8 ft tall... the peak might be another 2-3 feet above that.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Tue. Oct. 12, 2021 10:52 am

I have to ask about why you want the stove top to get hot? If its to cook on in emergencies and power outages get a camping stove for backup and get the coal stove you want for heating. If you want it too cook on for enjoyment all the time then I understand.

It doesnt sound like the blower model makes a very good humidifier not vaporizing water at all. (per Hoytmans post)

newheatcoalwood

Post by newheatcoalwood » Tue. Oct. 12, 2021 11:13 am

warminmn wrote:
Tue. Oct. 12, 2021 10:52 am
I have to ask about why you want the stove top to get hot? If its to cook on in emergencies and power outages get a camping stove for backup and get the coal stove you want for heating. If you want it too cook on for enjoyment all the time then I understand.

It doesnt sound like the blower model makes a very good humidifier not vaporizing water at all. (per Hoytmans post)
More of emergency use functionality.
Your logic is right for the most part, but this is for piece of mind for my wife. I tried to argue that food can be cooked outside in emergencies, but i wasn't very convincing. I even explained that when I was a kid, we lived in a cabin for a year and the only tool that my mom used to cook on was a coleman camp stove.
She wants something indoors that we can use with available resources (wood or coal) to heat and possibly warm up soup or sterilize water on...
She really wants a wood burning cook stove, but I don't really want that extra expense or mess just for a worse case scenario.
Heating is primary, warming up food is secondary.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Tue. Oct. 12, 2021 11:56 am

Wife pleasing is always a good reason!!!

I had a stove I no longer use that I cut some rebar and laid it across the top of my firebrick inside and cooked a few things in small shallow covered pans using it. If theres a will theres a way! Cookstoves are nice. I miss using mine. But heat came first and that was the chimney I needed for that.

newheatcoalwood

Post by newheatcoalwood » Tue. Oct. 12, 2021 12:01 pm

Yup... I try...
One of the reasons that I am leaning towards the 354 over the 55 or 82 models from Hitzer, is because the opening is wider and I would be able to set a dutch oven inside for some cooking if needed. I could roast a wienie or a basket with a handle in the 55 or 82 models, the open is only about 12 x 12 on those.
I just need some confirmation that the surface can get over 180 on a radiant version of the 354. If it can, then we are sold.

The people at Hitzer told us that the top of the 55 and 82 can def. get that hot, but were not sure about the 354. I used the word "rolling boil" when I should have said simmer. The difference is 180 vs 212. 212 is not necessary.

Hoytman

Post by Hoytman » Tue. Oct. 12, 2021 1:24 pm

newheatcoalwood wrote:
Tue. Oct. 12, 2021 10:23 am
Sorry, I didn't think all that mattered when talking about how hot the surface of a stove can get...

-My primary floor is over 2400 sq ft, no upstairs, but a small vaulted ceiling in one room.
The open area around the stove, not including the bedrooms down the hallways is around 1000 sq ft
-The home is very well insulated, brick facade, built in 2007.
-We do not currently have anything, we are having a guy come today to quote the install of a wood stove.
The attic height at the stove location is 6-8 ft tall... the peak might be another 2-3 feet above that.
It matters because, like in my case, if I got the stove hot enough to cook off of, then it would most surely drive us out of the house. If you've never experienced that it can be miserable. You have to remember that a coal stove responds slowly, unlike a wood stove that you turn down and a few minutes later it's comfortable again. Not so with coal.

newheatcoalwood

Post by newheatcoalwood » Tue. Oct. 12, 2021 1:29 pm

Hoytman wrote:
Tue. Oct. 12, 2021 1:24 pm
It matters because, like in my case, if I got the stove hot enough to cook off of, then it would most surely drive us out of the house. If you've never experienced that it can be miserable. You have to remember that a coal stove responds slowly, unlike a wood stove that you turn down and a few minutes later it's comfortable again. Not so with coal.
Thank you for that confirmation.
The lady at the manufacturer said that when she cooks food in hers, she uses wood, but coal for heating.
I think our house is big enough to absorb the extra heat from "cooking" especially if it is only for those really cold or wet days that you don't want to cook outside.
The cabin I lived in for a year with my parents and lil sis was about 16x20. That earth stove wood roast me sometimes. Especially because my room was in the loft.
The Amish fella said as much about the heat. He says they will throw a log or two on for a burst of heat, then coal to maintain a reasonable temp.

Hoytman

Post by Hoytman » Tue. Oct. 12, 2021 1:31 pm

newheatcoalwood wrote:
Tue. Oct. 12, 2021 11:13 am
More of emergency use functionality.
Your logic is right for the most part, but this is for piece of mind for my wife. I tried to argue that food can be cooked outside in emergencies, but i wasn't very convincing. I even explained that when I was a kid, we lived in a cabin for a year and the only tool that my mom used to cook on was a coleman camp stove.
She wants something indoors that we can use with available resources (wood or coal) to heat and possibly warm up soup or sterilize water on...
She really wants a wood burning cook stove, but I don't really want that extra expense or mess just for a worse case scenario.
Heating is primary, warming up food is secondary.
In either case, remember this stove can burn wood as well as anthracite coal. The best of both worlds in the situation you're describing, for back-up heat and/or cooking off of. Take your pick. Keep both fuels ready and available.

You will have not trouble with a radiant 354 getting the top hot enough to cook off of in a house that large. Open windows if you must. That's a little harder the smaller the home is because once the heat sinks into furniture and walls even opening many windows at once in a room much too hot can take a while to cool down...even when it's really cold out.

I would recommend one thing. A tip for you...for stove clearance if there's an issue there. Have Hitzer build you a radiant 354 with a heat shield on the back. Dean will build to your liking. Just talk it over with him first and tell them what you want. The heat shield will allow closer rear wall clearance as well as provide some natural convection on the back and across the top of the stove. Shouldn't interfere with stove top heat at all, as the radiant model doesn't have a false top and heat exchanger in the top of the stove above the fire box. A radiant 354 should be a heat throwing son-of-a-gun.

Hoytman

Post by Hoytman » Tue. Oct. 12, 2021 1:34 pm

newheatcoalwood wrote:
Tue. Oct. 12, 2021 12:01 pm
Yup... I try...
One of the reasons that I am leaning towards the 354 over the 55 or 82 models from Hitzer, is because the opening is wider and I would be able to set a dutch oven inside for some cooking if needed. I could roast a wienie or a basket with a handle in the 55 or 82 models, the open is only about 12 x 12 on those.
I just need some confirmation that the surface can get over 180 on a radiant version of the 354. If it can, then we are sold.

The people at Hitzer told us that the top of the 55 and 82 can def. get that hot, but were not sure about the 354. I used the word "rolling boil" when I should have said simmer. The difference is 180 vs 212. 212 is not necessary.
I would argue that a radiant 354 stove top will get much hotter than 180F in a home that large. I'm not that far from it in my home with my blower model as the pictures reveal. My home is 1350 sq. ft. ... and my stove burns me out of the house...or can quite easily I should say.

You will have zero issues, I would think, boiling water...which I can't do or it's far too hot in the house...and it boils at 212F.

My Hitzer, for comparison size wise, is the nearly the same square inches as my old wood stove. That stove top I have had at 450F and 90F inside the house. Talk about sweating it! No can do anymore...that's why I like the coal. Lower temps if/when needed and zero creosote to worry about.

The pictures above reflect an inside the home temperature of a comfortable 72-74F...and constant too.

All of that to concur with what BB already told you above.
Last edited by Hoytman on Tue. Oct. 12, 2021 1:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”