Coal insert

tomfromhull
Hand Fed Coal Stove: chubby

Post by tomfromhull » Tue. Oct. 05, 2021 8:51 pm

Hello Everyone. I'm looking for a gravity fed hopper coal insert for my 1500 sq. ft. house. Hitzer doesn't seem to make one small enough. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Tue. Oct. 05, 2021 9:33 pm

DS makes one but you'll be in same boat as far as the specs go. You do realize they can be idled down to nothing? If it's listing 90K BTU or whatever figure that's the max rating, it's not the minimum.

https://dsofpa.com/insert/

--------edit-------

Or do you mean physically small enough?

waytomany?s
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark II
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Looking
Baseburners & Antiques: Looking
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: newmac wood/coal combo furnace

Post by waytomany?s » Tue. Oct. 05, 2021 9:42 pm

Small enough in what way? 30-95 should do nicely.

tomfromhull

Post by tomfromhull » Tue. Oct. 05, 2021 10:16 pm

Small enough so I'm not blasted out of the house. I've been using a Chubby for the last few years and a Nestor Martin before that. I think the Chubby might be a little too small

tomfromhull

Post by tomfromhull » Tue. Oct. 05, 2021 10:19 pm

Just checked out the 30-95. It looks like a good option.

tomfromhull

Post by tomfromhull » Tue. Oct. 05, 2021 10:21 pm

That DS looks nice too

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Tue. Oct. 05, 2021 10:45 pm

tomfromhull wrote:
Tue. Oct. 05, 2021 10:16 pm
Small enough so I'm not blasted out of the house.
If you are looking to heat 1500 sq. ft. that is not too large, 90K is right in the ball park assuming you have secondary heat. The issue is moving the heat around.

I don't know what the minimum BTU rating is on the DS or Hitzer models but they can't be more than 10 to 20KBTU. It may even be less but I don't want to understate something I don't know. I'm sure someone that has one will be able to give you better first hand knowledge info.

Another option is a used Franco Belge, I think those are only around 30K. Those I know for a fact can be idled down to almost nothing. It's good for heating smaller to medium sized spaces but it's certainly won't take the bulk of the heat load for 1500 sq. ft. Trouble there is finding one in good shape. People have a tendency to over fire them because they don't make a lot of heat. There is a back plate inside the hopper that is often damaged from the over firing. If you find one that is the first thing you want to look at. Parts can be an issue.

The FB also has small enough grates you use buck which will give you even lower BTU output because it restricts the air even more. I don't know how big the grates are on the Hitzer or DS but minimally you should be able to mix some buck with the pea if you can't get it low enough with the controls.

Last but not least both of those companies are small enough they may be able to build you one off insert. I can't guarantee anything there but it can't hurt to ask. I would imagine the cost would be the same and possibly even more as the regular models.

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Fri. Oct. 08, 2021 5:53 pm

tomfromhull wrote:
Tue. Oct. 05, 2021 8:51 pm
Hello Everyone. I'm looking for a gravity fed hopper coal insert for my 1500 sq. ft. house. Hitzer doesn't seem to make one small enough. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance
Seems like a Hitzer 503 would be the perfect appliance for you. Coal can be idled way down.

Hitzer 503 Installation Advice

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Sat. Oct. 09, 2021 7:24 pm

11,000 BTU’s/hr is the lowest I see listed on Hitzer brochures (at -.03”wc lowest recommended draft to -.06”wc highest). Anywhere from 1lb to 7lbs per hour burn rate.

My big Hitzer 354 averaged .8lbs/hr last season with draft around -.02”wc and at times as low a draft as -.005”wc. With that said, my scenario is proof they will burn lower than brochure mentions. Seven 7” stove outlet 8”x8” clay liner in 15 ft chimney measured from firebox floor to top of chimney. I’m sure if chimney was higher and the closer the liner is matched to the outlet my burn rate might possibly get lower than .8lbs/hr.

Hope this information can help with a decision.

tomfromhull

Post by tomfromhull » Sun. Nov. 14, 2021 5:39 pm

My coal chubby has been doing a good job and I have a Nestor Martin hopper stove that would get the living room up into the high eighties so that was a little too much. I thought a hopper insert would be easier. I'll probably try the Hitzer 503. My daughter bought one last week so I'll see how she does with it. Thanks for all the help.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”