Door gasket/seal quality?

bluemoon
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark 1

Post by bluemoon » Fri. Oct. 01, 2021 8:33 am

First post for me on this forum. I've been burning coal in my Harman Magnafire Mark 1 for more than a dozen years. I'm in the process of getting it ready for the upcoming season. Gave it a good cleaning, replacing fire bricks due to a few broken ones, vacuumed, and new paint, etc. I have searched and have not been able to find info on these two subjects:
(1) There appears to be a lot of different door gaskets available out there. (fiberglass, Graphite composite, original manufacturer). Can anyone recommend any that work better than others or does it even matter?
(2) I was thinking that ash may be getting behind the fire bricks and putting pressure on them from behind, causing them to crack. Has anyone used a small bead of furnace cement, or similar product, along the upper edges of the bricks?

Thanks in advance!

Jon

Homesteader
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark II
Coal Size/Type: Nut, Stove
Other Heating: H.B. Smith oil fired boiler

Post by Homesteader » Fri. Oct. 01, 2021 12:06 pm

I have a Mark II. As far as gaskets go I just get the Rutland gasket kit from Tractor Supply. The kit has the graphite rope and glue in one package. My MII uses 1/2 rope, I would think the MI has the same diameter. If you want more info or parts lists Legacy stoves bought out the Harmon Coal line years ago.

https://legacystoves.com/

As far as bricks cracking that just happens over time from heat. I don't worry about a few cracked bricks as long as they're not ready to fall apart

Hounds51
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 2 Legacy TLC 2000 one in the upper and 1 in the lower part of the house
Coal Size/Type: Wood and pea, nut ,stove and egg coal

Post by Hounds51 » Sun. Oct. 03, 2021 12:55 pm

Firebrick is firebrick, it just breaks down after a while. My brother (Mark 3) and I (TLC) often burn wood in our stoves. My brother ain't as careful as I and he is replacing his brick more often, as he tends to throw his wood in without regard of the brick. I am a little more careful and I only had to replace 1 fire brick, and that was due to wear/heat breakdown. As far as putting a small bead of furnace cement on top of your bricks, it wont hurt, but I don't think it will help either. Just be careful when loading your stove that will probably be the best method.
As far as gasket and gasket material goes, I really don't think it matters what type of material you use, as long as you get a good tight seal. Try the dollar bill method in checking for fit. If the bill slips through, then either get new gasket, or if new, bigger gasket. Just my thoughts.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”