Can I Comfortably Heat My Whole House With Only a Stove?

traderfjp

Post by traderfjp » Tue. Aug. 12, 2008 5:36 pm

You can get Stove Bright online in many colors. It'll cost a little more than going to the automotive store but I know it works and holds up well because I've used it on my stove. You'll want to wire wheel all the rust off and then I would use a low grit sand paper to get the rest off - I like to use a rotary sander. Scraping with razor blades works wel for getting heavy rius off too. Then wipe it down with mineral spirits to get all the loose rust and any grease, etc. off. The secret with spray painting it to put it on very lightly, wait 5-10 minutes and then re-apply. Also, make sure you keep the can 8-10" from the surface when spraying. Any closer and you'll get runs. Good luck

SMITTY
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 Highboy
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

Post by SMITTY » Thu. Aug. 14, 2008 8:02 pm

My house is about the same size, it's insulated (by 60's standards), but has many gaps in the ancient construction.

I heated with a 113K BTU oil furnace & used 4 tanks of oil (just under 1000 gallons) my first year in this place.

Then I bought that tiny Mark I & let me tell you -- that little bastard cranked the heat out!! When I first brought it home & looked at the size of it in my basement, I was like ' what the F*** was I thinking ' but that thing earned my respect pretty quick. Went from 4 tanks to just one -- & that thing was only 48K BTU's.

You'll be burning up in there at the beginning of the winter, but once mid January hits us with a -10* night, you'll need to turn on the oil just a bit. The furnace will heat like it's 40* out, so it won't cycle as much & you'll save oil -- BIG TIME! ;)

Devil505

Post by Devil505 » Thu. Aug. 14, 2008 9:10 pm

SMITTY wrote:You'll be burning up in there at the beginning of the winter, but once mid January hits us with a -10* night, you'll need to turn on the oil just a bit.
I don't think you'll be burning up at all, unless you want too! :D
You'll find that if your stoves gaskets are secure & working well, that you'll be able to control that stove pretty easily & make very fine adjustments to the heat it puts out. Coal is much more controllable than wood.

Throttle it down through the Fall & early winter, to save coal & then.....Let her rip when it gets really cold out!
( I can usually count on doubling my coal consumption when the cold really hits in January)
Last edited by Devil505 on Thu. Aug. 14, 2008 9:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Thu. Aug. 14, 2008 9:17 pm

The Russo stoves that I have all take flat ribbon gaskets. Use a dollar bill between the door gasket and stove to test for lack of gap, if you can pull it out easily you have too much gap. Coal stoves are very controllable if you do not have air leaks. If you have little or no air control you have a steel warping monster on your hands. Never walk away from a stove with the ash door open!

dbjc364

Post by dbjc364 » Thu. Dec. 03, 2009 5:34 am

First off,don't underestimate what a stove in the cellar can do for you. We have a house thats similiar to what your describing in yours. 1 & 1/2 story Cape.We snugged up the cellar the winter before-in anticipation of doing something different other than an oil furnace. That different thing was a Harman Mark 11.Ripped out the oil furnace,and havent regretted it since.I realize you wont rip out yours{just yet},and its good to have another source anyways. We have a Napolean Pellet upstairs in the living room just in case{bought previous to this}. We seldom turn it on,but will keep it for another source.A small gas propane log set in the dining room-just in case.The cellar walls are studded with 2x3's for an air gap, and then Double Bubble Foil-Foil Radiant Barrier.This gives some insulation-no wind getting in,no moisture problems as wet doesnt bother it.We still have the sills to do,after pulling out the moldy pink crap.Our Harman Mark 11,heats the cellar{1500 sq. ft} heat rises up thru the floor boards,and we knocked out the top panel on the kitchen cellar door,and heats beautifully.A small corner fan positioned near the bottom of the steps.

japar
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hearthmate

Post by japar » Thu. Dec. 03, 2009 6:47 pm

I picked up a used Russo off of craigslist for my dad he's 81. He heats a splite level in Rehoboth Ma. the stove cranks and he prefers wood , he burns pallets. It had no blower so a bought a brand new blower for him he said he didn't need it. The blower was new no cord then I picker up another Russo . It had a good blower with a cord, I gave him that. Still no the stove throws so much heat he said didn't need it. The stove is in the foyer, Walk in the front door it right there to the left the back of the fireplace is behind the stove and it plumbed in. Good size house but it is very well insulated. But when the stove is in the basement thats a different story.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”