VC Vigilant

DanInMAE
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant II
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite, Pea/Nut coal

Post by DanInMAE » Thu. Aug. 26, 2021 10:13 am

Hi all,
New to the forums and new to coal burning. I purchased a house with about 1.5tons of coal in the garage and a way outdated coal circulator. I’ve been looking for awhile and doing research and though I had settled into buying a new Hitzer 30-95, but I’ve come across a 2015-ish Vermont Castings Vigilant that’s in mint condition while also being used. It looks great, is about half the price of a new 30-95. I only need to heat about 1500 or so sq feet here in our house. Is the Vigilant a good buy or would I be better served to spend the extra 1k on a new Hitzer? Thanks in advance

waytomany?s
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark II
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Looking
Baseburners & Antiques: Looking
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: newmac wood/coal combo furnace

Post by waytomany?s » Thu. Aug. 26, 2021 6:28 pm

What type of coal is it? Does the vigilant have the coal grates? What would the location of the stove be? Fill out the rest of your profile, sometimes people near you may offer an unused stove, or relay if they know of one.

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Thu. Aug. 26, 2021 9:33 pm

Don’t know your particular situation, but I’m heating a similar space with a much bigger Hitzer. I would choose the 30-95 I think, hands down.

oliver power
Stoker Coal Boiler: KEYSTOKER Kaa-2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93 & 30-95, Vigilant (pre-2310), D.S. 1600 Circulator, Hitzer 254

Post by oliver power » Thu. Aug. 26, 2021 11:56 pm

If you get the latest model Vigilant made for coal, I guess they are ok. Do not buy the older models with the coal burning kit. How can you tell at a glance? The ones made for coal have a separate swing out ash pan door. The older ones did not have an ash pan door. I personally don't care for the reciprocating grates of any of the vigilant's. And then getting down on the floor with a knife like tool, and reaching up through the grates trying to clear ash (slicing). They are a nicer looking stove than the Hitzer. The vigilant throws an impressive beam of heat across the room if glass is clean. If bought right, you should be able to get your money back no problem. I don't think the Vigilant was ever meant for whole house heat. Having had an older Vigilant, and the 30-95, I'd choose the 30-95 with fan any day. The 30-95 has a nicer grate, easier to operate, and throws plenty of heat.

Spacecadet
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 30-95, Hitzer 30/95
Coal Size/Type: nut
Other Heating: US stove 6041 pellet

Post by Spacecadet » Fri. Aug. 27, 2021 1:19 am

I’ve no experience with a vigalant stove. But I do have experience with the Hitzer’s. Your house is a little bigger than mine. My 30-95 does an excellent job of heat my 1150 sq ft. I have a fan model. And rarely put the fan on. I do but only when I need to try to heat the house up quick when it’s super cold outside. Or when I want to dry some winter clothes. Lol. Any. 5 minute tend times because of the auto feed.
I’ve seen pics of the vigilante stove. It’s a pretty stove. The Hitzer isn’t as pretty. But honestly I’d rather have one that’s easy to operate and puts out great heat.
Second note. I’ve also had a 50/93 many people here are impressed with it and would suggest it over the 30-95. I personally would not. The 30 can be turned down enough on the shoulder months. The 50 not as easy. Plus it’s twice the size so it uses more coal. Id go with the 30-95 - that’s my opinion

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Fri. Aug. 27, 2021 7:39 am

+ how ever many on the 30-95 for 1500 sq. I use the 50-93 heatin 2400 sq. in an OLD farm house !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) NEVER would I recommend the VIG!!!

DanInMAE

Post by DanInMAE » Fri. Aug. 27, 2021 9:43 am

Thanks for all the reply’s , sorry I’m catching up late. So, the Vigilant was purchased in 2015 or so and was made specifically for coal. It has the reciprocating or whatever for grates inside to shake down ash. It also has the swing out ash pan below the burn box. It’s about 1k which is half of what I was looking to pay for a Hitzer. The Vigilant looks real nice, I was pretty impressed. I’ve done a bit of research and was going to bite the bullet on the 30-95 but this popped up sorta out of nowhere. I’m in Maine, but I’ll update my profile. I’m definitely not opposed to buying anything used

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Fri. Aug. 27, 2021 11:20 am

If you get the Vigilant, let us know and I will go into more detail on addressing its shortcomings.

DanInMAE

Post by DanInMAE » Fri. Aug. 27, 2021 1:31 pm

Is 1k a decent price on these Vigilants?

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Fri. Aug. 27, 2021 1:41 pm

I'd never pay that much--just sayin!!! :)

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Fri. Aug. 27, 2021 3:12 pm

I would think high, but check claigslist and facebook for current prices.

DanInMAE

Post by DanInMAE » Fri. Aug. 27, 2021 3:31 pm

I’ve been checking Craigslist and FB marketplace for about 3 months. Seems coal stoves are quite rare here in Maine, most people burn wood/pellets/propane/oil. I can get coal easily enough, but it seems the stoves are harder to come by. Again, I can get a brand new Hitzer 30-95 for about 1900 or so, I just wanted to know if saving about 1k and buying a used Vigilant was a good idea.

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Fri. Aug. 27, 2021 4:38 pm

A one time expenditure for MANY, MANY yrs of heating comfort. Your choice D.

charlesosborne2002
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant II 2310
Other Heating: natural gas central forced air

Post by charlesosborne2002 » Sat. Aug. 28, 2021 8:49 am

DanInMAE wrote:
Fri. Aug. 27, 2021 9:43 am
Thanks for all the reply’s , sorry I’m catching up late. So, the Vigilant was purchased in 2015 or so and was made specifically for coal. It has the reciprocating or whatever for grates inside to shake down ash. It also has the swing out ash pan below the burn box. It’s about 1k which is half of what I was looking to pay for a Hitzer. The Vigilant looks real nice, I was pretty impressed. I’ve done a bit of research and was going to bite the bullet on the 30-95 but this popped up sorta out of nowhere. I’m in Maine, but I’ll update my profile. I’m definitely not opposed to buying anything used
I bought the Vigilant for the price but also the cast iron and the look--it increases home value if you ever sell. Many people here have the Vigilant and love it. I like the top load (just pour it in) and cook top, and it keeps my 1000 ft cottage snug as a bug (not well insulated. but mostly open design). It is rated for up to 2000 square feet. The doors lift off if you want an open wood fireplace (I have a free standing fireplace screen for sparks). If I were doing it now I would consider a renovated classic base burner like Glenwood, but the Vigilant new is half price because they are discontinued, and 1/3 the price (or less) than the great classics. The Vigilant cast iron detail is not just ornamental--it increases the surface area of the stove, which is like having a bigger stove. I paid $1400 for a new one 4 years ago, delivered (through eBay). I like the "Federal" architectural design on it more than the over-ornamental Victorian styles (tedious to clean) or the plain boxes of other new styles.

Rich W.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vermont Castings Vigilant Multi-Fuel (coal for me); Vermont Castings Vigilant 2310 in the shop
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: System 2000 Oil Burner; VC Resolute Woodstove (sold) Jotul 8 Woodstove (sold)

Post by Rich W. » Sun. Nov. 14, 2021 7:28 pm

I have two Vigilants! One in the living room and one in the shop. Love ‘em! In fact I drove from RI to ME to buy the second one brand new from a dealer who was liquidating them. As someone suggested, search “Vigilant” for lots of info and tips about them. I think you could find a used one a bit cheaper, but I think they represent a lot of value at $1k.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”