Just picked up a barely used in Jotul 507

greywolf224
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jotul 507
Coal Size/Type: Nut

Post by greywolf224 » Tue. Aug. 10, 2021 10:41 pm

Hello folks been reading various posts on the jotul 507 and decided on searching for one to place on my back porch for those cold winter nights. I was fortunate enough to pick one up yesterday in barely used condition for $250.

All of the firebrick and internal cast-iron parts are in excellent shape. The only thing I see missing is the actual shaker grate handle and the 5 inch to 6 inch adapter.
I have searched all of the mentioned stove part sites for the handle and unable to find one. If someone has a lead on one I would greatly appreciate it.

As for the adapter, I am thinking about purchasing a 5 inch to 6 inch stove adapter from my local ace hardware store but my question is does the 5 inch end of the adapter fit inside of which would require a crimp or around the outside of the stove collar which wouldn’t require a crimp. The stove part sites have the adapter $50+ dollars while Ace Hardware has it for $16. Not sure which fits and or which is better. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

A5C6C82D-05DD-41ED-B0A0-FE7B808A730F.png
.PNG | 1.5MB | A5C6C82D-05DD-41ED-B0A0-FE7B808A730F.png
21880679-3BF0-4E99-9299-1AFD98B35D0A.png
.PNG | 1.5MB | 21880679-3BF0-4E99-9299-1AFD98B35D0A.png
E2ECC81D-DD46-4E52-AFD4-5D3FD2771D3F.png
.PNG | 1.5MB | E2ECC81D-DD46-4E52-AFD4-5D3FD2771D3F.png

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Wed. Aug. 11, 2021 7:31 am

Buy a straight piece of 5" and see which side fits which way on the stove. If it ends out that the adapter is backwards of what you want you can get pipes that have male crimps on each end to adapt it, or cut the male end off of the 5" you bought for a female end on each side. The adapters Ace sells are good quality, or at least they used to be. I have used a couple of the 6" oval to round ones they sell. Coast to Coast used to have them also.

Dont burn wood in that stove but if you do keep the temp low or you wont have a nice stove for very long. I cant help you with the shaker handle question but I bet there are ones from other stoves that will work.

greywolf224

Post by greywolf224 » Wed. Aug. 11, 2021 7:42 am

Thanks for the reply.

Would you know if the original Adapter supplied by Jotul is a male end and fits into the inside of the collar on the rear of the stove or Does the collar on The rear of the stove fit into the female end of the adapter?

warminmn

Post by warminmn » Wed. Aug. 11, 2021 8:08 am

No I dont know. And the original Jotul adapter could have been made any size they wanted to make it so it may not be a normal size. Its been debated on this site a few times which way to put the pipes, either male or female end facing up thru the whole length. Wood fires are female up so creosote stays in the pipes. "probably" most coal stoves are the opposite but in the end they will work either way. If rain getting in the chimney is an issue then female ends up. The main thing is to have a good draft because it wont matter with coal then. I have a good draft so I quit even caring which way my pipes go.

greywolf224

Post by greywolf224 » Wed. Aug. 11, 2021 8:18 am

Ha! Again thanks. Burned wood all my life so yes male always towards stove.
New to coal but hadn’t thought of the fact that coal doesn’t produce creosote or at least A very minimal amount.
Thanks again

D-frost
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman MK ll
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Yukon Eagle I (multi-fuel oil, wood/coal)
Baseburners & Antiques: Herald 'fireside oak'
Coal Size/Type: nut/stove-Blaschak/Lehigh

Post by D-frost » Wed. Aug. 11, 2021 8:18 am

greywolf.........
Welcome to the forum. Jotul makes a great stove, either coal or wood. Yours looks real good. A forum member (snowman) from upstate NY has a couple, three, maybe four of these 507's. Send him a PM and shoot the ????'s.
Responders are a little slow during the off season, but, that's only 'til Fall.
There is a place on the Maine/NH border called Woodmans. (www.woodmanspartsplus.com) They have a ton of good stuff.
Cheers

greywolf224

Post by greywolf224 » Wed. Aug. 11, 2021 8:23 am

Well thank you. Will give woodsman a try.
I also am in upstate New York. Actually just southwest of Kingston.

Thanks for the tip on “snowman” Will PM him.

D-frost
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman MK ll
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Yukon Eagle I (multi-fuel oil, wood/coal)
Baseburners & Antiques: Herald 'fireside oak'
Coal Size/Type: nut/stove-Blaschak/Lehigh

Post by D-frost » Wed. Aug. 11, 2021 8:34 am

I think snowman is in up-up-upstate NY!!!!!!! North of Syracuse, and south of Canada.
Cheers

warminmn

Post by warminmn » Wed. Aug. 11, 2021 9:30 am

greywolf224 wrote:
Wed. Aug. 11, 2021 8:18 am
Ha! Again thanks. Burned wood all my life so yes male always towards stove.
New to coal but hadn’t thought of the fact that coal doesn’t produce creosote or at least A very minimal amount.
Thanks again
There is ash involved with anthracite but zero creosote. search the forum some for pipe direction and different search terms and you'll find a few discussions on it. Then you can make up your own mind on which direction you want to run. The cheaper pipes that you put together will be more of a problem leaking than the better quality pipes that are ready to use.

Good suggestion on Snowman. I looked into these stoves years ago and remember a couple good topics he was involved in.

greywolf224

Post by greywolf224 » Wed. Aug. 11, 2021 10:00 am

warminmn wrote:
Wed. Aug. 11, 2021 9:30 am
There is ash involved with anthracite but zero creosote. search the forum some for pipe direction and different search terms and you'll find a few discussions on it. Then you can make up your own mind on which direction you want to run. The cheaper pipes that you put together will be more of a problem leaking than the better quality pipes that are ready to use.

Good suggestion on Snowman. I looked into these stoves years ago and remember a couple good topics he was involved in.
Thank you for that info. When you say cheaper version Verse better quality ready to use pipes, what do you exactly mean?
Again Pardon my ignorance but I thought all black pipe slip fit into each other female to male. Is there a better method? I am all ears.

warminmn

Post by warminmn » Wed. Aug. 11, 2021 11:01 am

I wont get into which brand is best, but by cheaper pipe i mean the stuff you buy that you assemble, that you have to kind of kneel on and put the length wise crimps together. When you put two of those pipes together you get bigger air gaps as its hard to make them round.

By the better ones, I mean they are welded and are actually round, leaving less gap at each connection. This is an example, it does not need to be that brand. https://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/duravent-durabla ... ove%20pipe

They also sell telescoping pipes like the store example to minimize cutting for the final connection. Those are more expensive but are sometimes worth it.

They have short pipes with crimped male ends on both ends, or you can cut a standard pipes male end off to make it a female end at each end pipe. Thats if you want to change the pipes direction, as to which end is up.

greywolf224

Post by greywolf224 » Wed. Aug. 11, 2021 11:19 am

warminmn wrote:
Wed. Aug. 11, 2021 11:01 am
I wont get into which brand is best, but by cheaper pipe i mean the stuff you buy that you assemble, that you have to kind of kneel on ……..
Thank you I learned something new again. I have plenty of scars on my hands to prove that those cheaper pipes are not worth the price. Unfortunately those are the only ones you can find in a pinch. Hence why I’m trying to proactively plan this out.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Wed. Aug. 11, 2021 1:16 pm

Outstanding deal G!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

warminmn

Post by warminmn » Wed. Aug. 11, 2021 2:38 pm

yes it was Fred!

There should be a local retailer selling the good pipe somewhere near you. If not you can order them but I have nobody to recommend.

pantosketcham
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Anthamax 14 & 15. DS Circulator 1300. Hitzer 254.
Other Heating: Baker's Choice Wood Cookstove

Post by pantosketcham » Wed. Oct. 06, 2021 5:00 pm

I second the recommendation for Woodsmans parts plus - https://www.woodmanspartsplus.com/68/details/8634 ... /8768.html

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”