Chimney Cap

joeq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: G111, Southard Robertson

Post by joeq » Sat. Jul. 17, 2021 6:56 pm

"Hey look". It's raining....again! :evil: (Will it ever stop, this summer?)
Sorry, had to throw that out there.

Just wanted you people to keep up with your smoke stack. Don't know if it's just me, but I've been having to do this on a regular (almost yearly now) schedule. Those little brown sparrow scoundrel's are so persistent, and just never give up. I've been wrapping my S/S cap in (what I thought to be galvanized) chicken wire for years. Maybe it's the acidic sulfur in the coal by products, but it just eats away the wire, along with the pesky birds continually poking at it. Today, I was on the roof for an hour, (before the rain came back in the afternoon...as usual), in the summer heat and humidity, trying to remedy this dilemma...again.
This time, I painted new wire with high heat eng. paint, re-safety-wired it after double wrapping it, and put a large hose clamp on the bottom to cover the ends, so they can't pry it open. If that doesn't work longer than one season, next time I'm wiring it with 220V. (Wish me luck..."please")
chimney cap 001.JPG
.JPG | 484.7KB | chimney cap 001.JPG
chimney cap 002.JPG
.JPG | 756.5KB | chimney cap 002.JPG
chimney cap red 001.JPG
.JPG | 436.3KB | chimney cap red 001.JPG

Toddburn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 983/ Hitzer 55
Coal Size/Type: Nut anthracite/pea
Other Heating: Heat pump/forced air

Post by Toddburn » Sat. Jul. 17, 2021 7:14 pm

Looking good Joe. We got the same problem with those birds at our shop except ours like the gutter downspouts, 220 not a bad idea lol

grumpy

Post by grumpy » Sat. Jul. 17, 2021 7:17 pm

Animals like shelter, remove shelter.

joeq

Post by joeq » Sat. Jul. 17, 2021 7:39 pm

Toddburn wrote:
Sat. Jul. 17, 2021 7:14 pm
Looking good Joe. We got the same problem with those birds at our shop except ours like the gutter downspouts, 220 not a bad idea lol
I guess if they're coming from the top. you could put "Gutter-Guards" on it, but I'm sure you've already corrected it.
grumpy wrote:
Sat. Jul. 17, 2021 7:17 pm
Animals like shelter, remove shelter.
What a great idea. I'll just remove my entire Chimney. Now this is why I participate in forums such as this. For ideas that think outside the box. For that matter, I'll just get rid of my coal stove. Thanks Grump. (By the way, you're not related to the late Bill Jenkins, are ya?)

grumpy

Post by grumpy » Sat. Jul. 17, 2021 7:43 pm

joeq wrote:
Sat. Jul. 17, 2021 7:39 pm
I guess if they're coming from the top. you could put "Gutter-Guards" on it, but I'm sure you've already corrected it.

What a great idea. I'll just remove my entire Chimney. Now this is why I participate in forums such as this. For ideas that think outside the box. For that matter, I'll just get rid of my coal stove. Thanks Grump. (By the way, you're not related to the late Bill Jenkins, are ya?)
Remove the cap, what do you need it for anyway, I have never had one and have no problems...

Really ?

joeq

Post by joeq » Sat. Jul. 17, 2021 8:33 pm

Not sure where you live, but here in southern NE, we're exposed to all sorts of nasty weather. Downpours in the off season, and snow in the winters. I kinda like the protection the cap provides, from the elements. I've had these critters fly 15' down my stove pipe, and build nests in the horizontal pipe going to my stove. Congratulations of never having a problem with yours. Some of us aren't that "lucky".
P.S. you didn't answer my question. Are you related to Bill "Grumpy" Jenkins? ;)

grumpy

Post by grumpy » Sat. Jul. 17, 2021 9:39 pm

No, don’t know who that is.

joeq

Post by joeq » Sat. Jul. 17, 2021 11:20 pm

There have been only 2 Grumpys that I've know in my life, (till you). Bill Jenkins was a famous drag racer, starting in the early 60s, became a national Pro Stock champion for years, from the late 60s, well into the 80s. Thought maybe you were a fan.
Oh, and the other Grumpy, was from the seven dwarfs. :lol:

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sun. Jul. 18, 2021 7:53 am

OK J--LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL you're not alone my friend--I check my pipe every fall before lighting up--damn clever lil critters they are--Starlings don't care what ya put up but I do like the 220 idea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

D-frost
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman MK ll
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Yukon Eagle I (multi-fuel oil, wood/coal)
Baseburners & Antiques: Herald 'fireside oak'
Coal Size/Type: nut/stove-Blaschak/Lehigh

Post by D-frost » Sun. Jul. 18, 2021 8:24 am

Joe,
I was required to put caps on the flue by the home insurance inspector, otherwise, they wouldn't be there. (PITA)!!!!!! I think your right about the acid. The one above the Herald distorted, and the top blew off after 3 months of burning.($99 and Made in China, don't ya know!!!) I just put a mirror in the flue, prior to the first lighting.
Cheers

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sun. Jul. 18, 2021 8:38 am

Glad you caught it before it became an ever bigger job to clean up. This spring the grill broke off our dryer vent and in one or two days a blackbird built a nest in it!

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Sun. Jul. 18, 2021 9:30 am

I hope the chicken wire doesnt work. I want to see your 220 wiring project :P

tsb
Stoker Coal Boiler: Binford 2000
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL Pioneer top vent
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Saey Hanover II
Baseburners & Antiques: Grander Golden Oak , Glenwood # 6
Coal Size/Type: All of them

Post by tsb » Sun. Jul. 18, 2021 9:52 am

Put a fake owl on top of it.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Sun. Jul. 18, 2021 10:37 am

Squirrel nests have been the problem here in the unlined brick chimney for the kitchen range.

Like most of the old houses around here, my chimneys have slate caps. That's why they've lasted about 120 years. However, that makes them a nicer weatherproof home for critters. Gotta check each fall with a mirror in through the ash cleanout door. I keep a set of chimney cleaning rods and brush just to pull down any nests.

Paul

joeq

Post by joeq » Sun. Jul. 18, 2021 11:34 am

Rob R. wrote:
Sun. Jul. 18, 2021 8:38 am
Glad you caught it before it became an ever bigger job to clean up. This spring the grill broke off our dryer vent and in one or two days a blackbird built a nest in it!
Been there Rob. While up on my roof fixing this chimney cap, I also had-ta clean out the lint that had accumulated on our dryer vent outlet.
tsb wrote:
Sun. Jul. 18, 2021 9:52 am
Put a fake owl on top of it.
Also did that, when the critters were nesting in my open sofits. It didn't work. They just moved the owl into their nest, and made him a drinking partner. :lol:
warminmn wrote:
Sun. Jul. 18, 2021 9:30 am
I hope the chicken wire doesnt work. I want to see your 220 wiring project :P
There're quite a few of these out there, for your viewing pleasure.

P.S. This is the 2nd time I wrote this reply. Guess I didn't hit "submit" the 1st time. Tough when the memory goes. :?

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”