Chimney Cap

joeq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: G111, Southard Robertson

Post by joeq » Sun. Jul. 18, 2021 11:43 am

Sunny Boy wrote:
Sun. Jul. 18, 2021 10:37 am
Squirrel nests have been the problem here in the unlined brick chimney for the kitchen range.

Like most of the old houses around here, my chimneys have slate caps. That's why they've lasted about 120 years. However, that makes them a nicer weatherproof home for critters. Gotta check each fall with a mirror in through the ash cleanout door. I keep a set of chimney cleaning rods and brush just to pull down any nests.

Paul
Smart man, for investing in the proper tools, Paul. While cleaning out the mess above, there were some remnants left down deeper inside the pipe. Because I'm too cheap to invest in tooling, I started off dropping a broken broom handle down and thru. It just sliced its way, and wasn't effective. Then I tried a longer brass rod, and whittled it around, (careful not to drop, cause the clean-out below wasn't deep enuff for extraction). When that didn't work, I dropped a red brick thru it, and yet it "still" hung in there. I finally loaded it with a barrage of red bricks, which finally did the trick. I think I wuz up and down that stupid ladder 25 times that morning, when the sun was 90°, and the humidity was about 80%. Maybe I'll hire Dick Van Dyke next time.
TOTP

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Sun. Jul. 18, 2021 1:31 pm

Joe, Is there any access from ground level ?

The chimney cleanout doors on my chimneys are only a few feet above ground level. By using the flexible fiberglass cleaning rods and a small chimney brush, I can bend the rods to get the brush up into the chimney and all the way to the cap. Once the brush gets shoved into a nest it grabs and pulls the whole mess down to where I can shovel it all out through the cleanout door.

Paul

joeq

Post by joeq » Sun. Jul. 18, 2021 2:28 pm

Nice that you're able to bend the rod, and able to access it from below. I have a clean-out "tee" at the bottom of my run, with a snug fit plug that seals the hole. It's about 4' off the ground.

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Sun. Jul. 18, 2021 3:37 pm

joeq wrote:
Sun. Jul. 18, 2021 2:28 pm
Nice that you're able to bend the rod, and able to access it from below. I have a clean-out "tee" at the bottom of my run, with a snug fit plug that seals the hole. It's about 4' off the ground.

Perfect for using a chimney brush and rods from the ground so that you don't have to do the ladder act.

The rods come in 4 foot lengths that screw together - male thread on one end female on the other. The brushes come in various sizes, both round and rectangular shapes, and use the same thread. Just thread on a brush and add rods as you pass them up in the pipe. ;)

Paul

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Sun. Jul. 18, 2021 3:40 pm

One of these?

Attachments

Screenshot_20210718-153915_Chrome.jpg
.JPG | 157.4KB | Screenshot_20210718-153915_Chrome.jpg

tcalo
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40
Coal Size/Type: Nut/stove anthracite

Post by tcalo » Sun. Jul. 18, 2021 5:17 pm

I had an issue with birds hanging out in my cap a few weeks back. You could hear them from inside the house, it drove my cats nuts. I did the same thing as you Joe, I wrapped the cap in wire mesh. I haven’t seen or heard them since.

joeq

Post by joeq » Sun. Jul. 18, 2021 5:29 pm

Sunny Boy wrote:
Sun. Jul. 18, 2021 3:37 pm
Perfect for using a chimney brush and rods from the ground so that you don't have to do the ladder act.

The rods come in 4 foot lengths that screw together - male thread on one end female on the other. The brushes come in various sizes, both round and rectangular shapes, and use the same thread. Just thread on a brush and add rods as you pass them up in the pipe. ;)

Paul
Thanks for the tip Paul. I'll have-ta find one of those locally. Don't wanna shop Amazon, or HD anymore, so I'll try and see what's out there.
Lightning wrote:
Sun. Jul. 18, 2021 3:40 pm
One of these?
That looks good Lee. Wonder if it'll fit a 6" S/S Metalbestous pipe?
tcalo wrote:
Sun. Jul. 18, 2021 5:17 pm
I had an issue with birds hanging out in my cap a few weeks back. You could hear them from inside the house, it drove my cats nuts. I did the same thing as you Joe, I wrapped the cap in wire mesh. I haven’t seen or heard them since.
Glad it worked for you Tom. But beware, I've been battling mine for a few years now. Keep an eye on its deterioration rate.

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Sun. Jul. 18, 2021 7:43 pm

joeq wrote:
Sun. Jul. 18, 2021 5:29 pm
Thanks for the tip Paul. I'll have-ta find one of those locally. Don't wanna shop Amazon, or HD anymore, so I'll try and see what's out there.

That looks good Lee. Wonder if it'll fit a 6" S/S Metalbestous pipe?

Glad it worked for you Tom. But beware, I've been battling mine for a few years now. Keep an eye on its deterioration rate.
Joe, I got my chimney cleaning rods and brush at my local hardware store. Likely any place that sells stuff for stoves and fireplaces will have them.
Paul

tcalo
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40
Coal Size/Type: Nut/stove anthracite

Post by tcalo » Sun. Jul. 18, 2021 10:53 pm

joeq wrote:
Sun. Jul. 18, 2021 5:29 pm
Will do Joe, thanks for the heads up!!

11ultra103
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93, DS Comfortmax 75
Coal Size/Type: Nut

Post by 11ultra103 » Thu. Jul. 22, 2021 10:34 pm

I've had 2 birds fly down my chimney and make it all the way to the firebox in my stove. My ceiling is still black from the last bird I rescued, it was flying all over and kept hitting my ceiling! What I did was put the stainless chicken wire on the inside of the cap and I attached it the the cap 'uprights' using pop rivets with flat washers. so far so good!

grumpy

Post by grumpy » Fri. Jul. 23, 2021 7:28 pm

11ultra103 wrote:
Thu. Jul. 22, 2021 10:34 pm
I've had 2 birds fly down my chimney and make it all the way to the firebox in my stove. My ceiling is still black from the last bird I rescued, it was flying all over and kept hitting my ceiling! What I did was put the stainless chicken wire on the inside of the cap and I attached it the the cap 'uprights' using pop rivets with flat washers. so far so good!
Just put up a sign that says Bird free zone...... it works with guns...

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Fri. Jul. 23, 2021 7:36 pm

grumpy wrote:
Fri. Jul. 23, 2021 7:28 pm
Not if your Mayor looks like Beetlejuice.

oliver power
Stoker Coal Boiler: KEYSTOKER Kaa-2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93 & 30-95, Vigilant (pre-2310), D.S. 1600 Circulator, Hitzer 254

Post by oliver power » Fri. Jul. 30, 2021 9:40 pm

tsb wrote:
Sun. Jul. 18, 2021 9:52 am
Put a fake owl on top of it.
I just put some fake owls up for a customer :lol: :lol:

waytomany?s
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark II
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Looking
Baseburners & Antiques: Looking
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: newmac wood/coal combo furnace

Post by waytomany?s » Sat. Jul. 31, 2021 7:48 am

grumpy wrote:
Fri. Jul. 23, 2021 7:28 pm
Only if the birds are not morally corrupt.

rstefan
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 30-95
Baseburners & Antiques: Household #6 Baseburner

Post by rstefan » Wed. Aug. 04, 2021 9:35 pm

i had the same problem got 4 birds that came down the stack and got into my stove and drove my dogs nuts, of course when the stove is out. removed the stack that goes up to to the ceiling cleaned out the stack , then got some sheets of thin Styrofoam tied a heavy string in the middle folded it over and used duct tape to shape it , to look like a balloon so it just fit a little snug in the stack. make sure the string is long enough to be able to pull it out when its time to put your stack together used my cleaning rods to push it up to the top of the chimney, tuck the string up the stack opening to make it look a little cleaner now i used a folgers coffee lid to cover the 6 in. stack and a little tape to attach it to the chimney, with the string hanging down just below the ceiling made a pull loop to pull it out when putting the stack back on before starting the fire. doesn't leave much room for the birds to build a nest, easy to pull out the balloon and put the stack back together. it works for me maybe it might help others.
hope everyone is having a Great Summer.
bob

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”