Coal stove painting

Soccer918843

Post by Soccer918843 » Fri. Jul. 16, 2021 4:32 pm

I’m fixing up a harman coal stove I’ve wire wheeled all the rust spots and sanded the rest smooth with 150 grit I cleaned with tsp but when I clean with alcohol and acetone it keeps pulling paint off no-matter how many towels I use they keep getting covered in black when using alcohol or acetone. Am I good just to apply the stove bright over the top of everything as long as it’s clean with tsp or should it all be completely stripped which will be a huge project thanks

joeq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: G111, Southard Robertson

Post by joeq » Sat. Jul. 17, 2021 6:36 pm

I wouldn't worry about paint coming off of rags wiped with acetone. That's some pretty strong stuff, and if you keep wiping, you'll probably end up stripping it to the bare metal anyway. Can't say I've used the Stove-bright brand, but if you're not doing a full blown O/H, give the stuff a try. What have you got to lose? Seems you've done as good as you can cleaning by hand.

When I did my G111 over, I used Thurmolux, and they didn't require any primer. I didn't strip to metal either, but sanded all the individual pieces smooth, wiped it with thinner, (I think), and let all dry overnight. Once I sprayed it, and assembled, the very 1st fire blistered the paint on the barrel so bad, I ended up retouching it with....(?) "brain fart again". Spray bomb something, and it's all finally taken. Stove polish once in a while, to bring back some kinda color to it, but if you want it to stay fresh and new looking, there's a simple solution. "Don't fire it". I've given up trying to keep mine "show room perfect". Just ain't gunna happen, if you use it. :?

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sun. Jul. 18, 2021 7:47 am

Wise advice J--show-room purty'll get a man CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

D-frost
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman MK ll
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Yukon Eagle I (multi-fuel oil, wood/coal)
Baseburners & Antiques: Herald 'fireside oak'
Coal Size/Type: nut/stove-Blaschak/Lehigh

Post by D-frost » Sun. Jul. 18, 2021 8:42 am

Soccer..........
Unless you're a 'pro' painter, getting that back to 'looking new' is not easy. I just purchased a used Harman MK ll, and, after wiping the finish down with a cleaner(paint thinner), decided Williams polish might save it's shine.
If your Harman is factory 'black', and, it needs paint, I would use High-temp 'rattle can', and follow it with Williams polish. Williams is real easy to apply, and, in my opinion, does a nice job.
Cheers

Soccer918843

Post by Soccer918843 » Sun. Jul. 18, 2021 9:20 am

Can you apply williams over paint? The polish I had you cannont and it wouldn’t fill in the deep scratched or spots that were to the bare metal

D-frost
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman MK ll
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Yukon Eagle I (multi-fuel oil, wood/coal)
Baseburners & Antiques: Herald 'fireside oak'
Coal Size/Type: nut/stove-Blaschak/Lehigh

Post by D-frost » Sun. Jul. 18, 2021 9:44 am

Soccer,
I've used Williams on the Chubby painted steel and the cast every Fall for the last 6-7 years. Apply with a damp rag, let it dry an hour, buff out with a pad on a 3/8 electric drill. It worked with Chubby.......I hope I get the same results on the MK ll. However, neither stove was down to bare metal showing. The Harman paint looked real good after cleaning, and I'm not a 'painter', so, worth a 'shot'. Best of luck with your project.
Cheers

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”