Hitzer 254 or 55? Any other options?

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Sun. Nov. 28, 2021 2:11 pm

I could do that too with my 354 blower stove, but who could stand next to it. LOL! Be so hot in here you couldn’t stand it, but in a pinch I guess it would work.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Sun. Nov. 28, 2021 2:26 pm

Pretty nice Twisted.

I like the looks of the Heco cookstoves. The glass doors would be really nice. If they still paid for blood maybe I could afford one, lol

Hounds51
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 2 Legacy TLC 2000 one in the upper and 1 in the lower part of the house
Coal Size/Type: Wood and pea, nut ,stove and egg coal

Post by Hounds51 » Sun. Nov. 28, 2021 2:51 pm

freetown fred wrote:
Sun. Nov. 28, 2021 10:22 am
I don't think ya can REALLY cook on top of most stoves except kitchen ranges. Like H said, even with the special ordered grill--it's more or less a joke--I firmly believe that ALL stoves are made to do exactly what they're made to do, no matter what type of mods are tried. H, I like the Dutch oven idea. :)
Yea Fred, I got a used dutch oven on E-Bay last year, and I am dying to do a slow cook on the TLC. I am just trying to decide what I want to make. Maybe after Christmas I might give it a try. I will definitely post a thread on how it works. Most dutch ovens have feet on them. I dont think those would work well, but the flat surface bottom ones should work fine.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sun. Nov. 28, 2021 2:59 pm

Sounds outstanding--which did you get--can you remove the legs without destroyin it if needed? Lookin fwd to your 1st venture. :)

Hounds51
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 2 Legacy TLC 2000 one in the upper and 1 in the lower part of the house
Coal Size/Type: Wood and pea, nut ,stove and egg coal

Post by Hounds51 » Sun. Nov. 28, 2021 3:21 pm

LouNY wrote:
Sun. Nov. 28, 2021 11:55 am
I have a Hitzer insert and it is a good heater.
If I had the room I would not hesitate to seriously consider the DS Herco cook stove,
especially with cooking being a consideration, burn wood or coal and cook or bake while heating.
Yea I would to have just the plain jane 520 version. DS makes good stuff I wished I could fit it in our small kitchen. I used to have an old nickel plated majestic stove and I am sorry I ever got rid of it. But it took up half of the kitchen, and the wife wanted a bigger fridge, so off it went. Wished I had it, and a smaller fridge. Maybe a 420 might fit

farok
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pioneer top vent
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Yukon/Eagle

Post by farok » Tue. Nov. 30, 2021 9:29 pm

Thanks again, all! My wife suggested a different location that she'd be happy with, and I tend to agree. It's a corner of the room, but one of the corners will go to waste anyway (don't ask), so that's a good candidate (plus it's more central in the house, even if not in the living room specifically). It's away from the windows, and allows more choices, especially as putting a stove at a 45-degree angle will allow a back vent option. We can also poke a hole in the wall above it with a fan and have heat in the hallway just outside all three bedrooms, which is a plus! However, in an 1100 sq ft home, I don't think there's many places that won't be warmed, regardless.

I know I've been all across the board on this, but since we would like to burn wood as well when it's available (i.e. free), stoves with a top air supply are also worth heavy consideration. I think we've now, with our new location away from any drapes, narrowed it down to the Hitzer 55, the Chubby, and the small DS AnthraMax (14, I believe). I hadn't even seen that last one before, so thanks Bill (I think?) for pointing that one out!

I'm hoping to see each of the Hitzer and AnthraMax if I can before deciding. The Chubby speaks for itself! Off to see if I can find any good threads showing the construction of each of these, now...

Chris

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Wed. Dec. 01, 2021 5:28 am

I would not put the Hitzer 55 in a living space due to having to open the ash door to shake the grates.

farok

Post by farok » Wed. Dec. 01, 2021 8:57 am

Rob R. wrote:
Wed. Dec. 01, 2021 5:28 am
I would not put the Hitzer 55 in a living space due to having to open the ash door to shake the grates.
Good point. I've been leaning towards the AnthraMax 14, so this may be the final push in that direction. I'm not a fan of ash being everywhere... :D

Chris

warminmn

Post by warminmn » Wed. Dec. 01, 2021 10:06 am

Rob R. wrote:
Wed. Dec. 01, 2021 5:28 am
I never experienced ash coming out while shaking my Dads 55 or my Riteway. Never. Perhaps some here have? Am I lucky?

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Wed. Dec. 01, 2021 10:19 am

My Hitzer 82 always had a some ash waft into the air when I shook it down.

warminmn

Post by warminmn » Wed. Dec. 01, 2021 11:07 am

OK, maybe Im lucky then. I do have a good draft. Opening the load door before it settles down after shaking I have ash escape but not the bottom.

see_me1st

Post by see_me1st » Sat. Jan. 01, 2022 10:37 am

We just installed the DS 1500 Circulator stove in the basement. From what I am told they are not manufacturing them right now as people want the pretty ones. We found a GREAT hardly used one. The one we have does have the cook plate on it, which now has one of my Dutch ovens filled with water. We also wanted one with NO power and we would be able to heat the house if the power grid goes out completely. We did install a propane stove in the kitchen so I can use it with a lighter on the top and then have the propane outside grills if needed. A generator for the needed time frames to save the first eat foods and pressure canned foods for extended time frames. Good luck my friend. Mike's second choice was the comfort max.

farok

Post by farok » Sun. Jan. 02, 2022 12:27 am

see_me1st wrote:
Sat. Jan. 01, 2022 10:37 am
We just installed the DS 1500 Circulator stove in the basement. From what I am told they are not manufacturing them right now as people want the pretty ones. We found a GREAT hardly used one. The one we have does have the cook plate on it, which now has one of my Dutch ovens filled with water. We also wanted one with NO power and we would be able to heat the house if the power grid goes out completely. We did install a propane stove in the kitchen so I can use it with a lighter on the top and then have the propane outside grills if needed. A generator for the needed time frames to save the first eat foods and pressure canned foods for extended time frames. Good luck my friend. Mike's second choice was the comfort max.
Thanks. The Circulators seem interesting options, but anything bigger than the 1300 is probably too big for our space. I've seen the 1400 and 1500 for sale recently, but just a bit too big for me, and as you say, they're not making them right now.

Just curious - could you post a picture of the top with the cook plate on yours?

If someone hadn't destroyed the chimney in the basement before we bought the house, I may have picked up one of those 1500's by now as well!

I'm at this point I've narrowed down to I think the AnthraMax 14, Hitzer 55 cabinet model (if I can see one and see if the expanded steel over the top of the cabinet model can be removed), and possibly the Coal EZ-50. The price on the AnthraMax is a bit hard to swallow, though...

Chris

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”