Hitzer 503 Arrives

VanBuren

Post by VanBuren » Tue. Sep. 02, 2008 10:14 pm

Cape'

good info as always will do as you suggest with the 1.5inch slots - thanks

can you comment on the .006 thickness is it flexible enough to make whatever angle you may need into the stove ? I don't know my exact need yet until I make enough room with above cutting but am trying to conclude that .006 should do the job vs .005. I may need to make a 20 degree angle ~

also can you advise how you decided on Flex King over Forever Flex by olympia ?

many thanks in advance ! Good luck with next stage of install !

VB

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Tue. Sep. 02, 2008 10:56 pm

I just got a better 'vibe' off the http://www.chimneylinerdepot.com/ website and talking to the people on the phone....
If you are selling Chimney lines do not be selling a website too!
They had their prices posted.
The product seems pretty standardized so I went with the customer service, pricing and 'vibe'.
The liner should be arriving Wednesday.
I would go with .006

VanBuren

Post by VanBuren » Wed. Sep. 03, 2008 10:15 am

good info Cape' - yep I liked their forthcoming information and have exchanged a few emails and got prompt and concise replies i.e. chimneylinerdepot. I'm big on customer service also as mentioned.

You're right the others website offering is odd i.e. pimping resellers on their main site.

ok please let us know how flexible the .006 is when it arrives - my setup will be very similar to yours - straight all the way down and some angle into the hearth and then most likely another corrective angle to hit the stove at 90 degrees. We'll exchange smoke signals once both are operational although it may be tough given how clean the burn is going to be !

many thanks CapeCoaler

VB

CapeCoaler

Post by CapeCoaler » Wed. Sep. 03, 2008 7:31 pm

Liner arrived will snap some pics...
Tomorrow.

VanBuren

Post by VanBuren » Thu. Sep. 04, 2008 12:20 pm

Cape'

I have two questions on this particular liner :

1. What is the difference between Flex king and Flex King Pro - it is unclear from various descriptions online - yours is the regular version or the Pro version ?
2. Where the liner meets the cap of the chimney - presumably there is a good bit of weight being supported by the joint to the cap - do they provide any additional supports for that amount of liner. If it were to detach for whatever reason you'd presumably have a significant problem on your hands. the other liner I have in the other flue has concrete around the top - not sure what else it has below it.

thanks

VB

CapeCoaler

Post by CapeCoaler » Thu. Sep. 04, 2008 1:08 pm

**Broken Link(s) Removed**
Flex King Pro
Double Wall. Made from a single strip of .005 Stainless Steel
Total overall thickness .012
Smooth wall on the inside increases the draft by 20%

VanBuren

Post by VanBuren » Thu. Sep. 04, 2008 5:37 pm

thanks - yep I had seen that page already but was not certain on best choice or significant difference apart from thickness. I spoke with the guys over there just now -very helpful as you said. The Pro version they said will not allow you to make a 45 degree angle it is designed for straight drop down. They are actually out of stock for 2 weeks so you did well to get yours - good timing.

Also advised that ovalizing (which costs $125) is fine if you go bigger so for a 6 inch you buy 7" and it is reduced to 5.5 on the narrow side (as per the chart you posted earlier in thread). this will fit my flue nicely with the insulation too so as of now I plan to get that.

look forward to your pics/update

VB

bear creek burnout

Post by bear creek burnout » Sat. Sep. 06, 2008 11:47 am

CapeCoaler wrote:http://www.chimneylinerdepot.com/lander/articles/ ... ng-pro.asp
Flex King Pro
Double Wall. Made from a single strip of .005 Stainless Steel
Total overall thickness .012
Smooth wall on the inside increases the draft by 20%
The installer/chimney Pro stopped by to look at my setup and recommended a Forever Flex insulated liner http://www.everguardchimney.com/solLnForever.htm . Has anyone ever heard of these liner systems? They do have a lifetime warranty which is even transferable to the next homeowner.
My 503 is in his posession but they won't be able to get to my installation until 3rd week of Oct. I was lucky enough to find the stove/insert and Oct/Nov is the perfect time to get it installed.
Thanks to everyone on here....I've learned a lot in a few short weeks.....I think!!
TJ

VanBuren

Post by VanBuren » Sat. Sep. 06, 2008 5:22 pm

Has anyone ever heard of these liner systems
Bear Creek - I and others have definitely heard of forever flex. The warranty is good for sure. I'd be interested to have your installer indicate why he prefers that brand over Flex King. As capecoaler mentioned the customer service at Flex King vendor is very good. I asked them i.e. vendor, in fact what was difference and he said they are exactly the same liner in terms of materials. I would be interested to hear from an installer/professional as to why one may be better than the other.

out of interest, I asked a forever flex vendor if they ovalize pipes where necessary and they said they do not recommend it - in their opinion it interferes with the flow. By contrast I asked the same question to Flex King vendor and they said that this is not true at all and that ovalizing the liner is not a problem as long as you go one inch larger prior to ovalizing.

congrats on getting a stove - a lot of people were unfortunate to have to wait till next year. I also bought an extra ash pan direct from Hitzer yesterday for $19+shipping - this was a great tip from JafaDog and means emptying the ash pan can be a relaxed event and not a rush. They have these in stock currently.

JafaDog
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 503 Insert

Post by JafaDog » Sun. Sep. 07, 2008 1:24 pm

I and others have definitely heard of forever flex. The warranty is good for sure.
I have an Olympic ForeverFlex liner installed in my small flue for my oil furnace. It was installed in 2002. One thing to keep in mind is the fine print in the warranty. One of the conditions is that you have to have the liner inspected and cleaned by a licensed chimney sweep once a year (which, oddly, Olympic defines as every 18 months). That licensed chimney sweep has to date and sign the warranty card every time the liner is inspected/cleaned. I would also imagine that it would be a good idea to save all the receipts. Even then, Olympic will only replace the parts if they find the liner was defective, not the labor costs to install the new liner. In my case, the liner has poured-in insulation, which would make any re-installation costs quite expensive (had I understood things at the time, I would have opted for the wrapped insulation). That's not to say that the warranty is no good, but rather like anything you to have to know and follow the rules to make it effective.

gambler

Post by gambler » Sun. Sep. 07, 2008 8:11 pm

Sounds like with all things anymore, the warranty is not worth the paper its printed on. Always some sort of loop hole in the fine print.

bear creek burnout

Post by bear creek burnout » Sun. Sep. 07, 2008 8:30 pm

I was made aware of the warranty limitations especially the inspection & cleaning each year.....and the "parts only" replacement. This guy was straight up with me and I appreciate that. I will keep you all posted as far as preference for one liner company vs another as soon as I get to ask him. Since this group is doing my Hitzer install as well as the liner, I will have them back each year to inspect and clean the liner....and clean my two other flues for the wood burning fireplace and the oil burner hog.
Last edited by bear creek burnout on Mon. Sep. 08, 2008 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

CapeCoaler

Post by CapeCoaler » Mon. Sep. 08, 2008 12:11 am

Pics of the flex pipe.
This is the 0.006 thickness.
A picture of how a tee is connected with flex liner.
Some scaffolding to get up to the top...
The liner will want to pull you back...
Bigger platform has more stability...
No will not be using the tee...
Liner goes in Tuesday if weather cooperates...

Attachments

Flex pipe.JPG

Flex pipe 0.006 yes it will get past the damper

.JPG | 22KB | Flex pipe.JPG
Insulation.JPG

Insulation to wrap the pipe, spray adhesive, chain mail sock and wire ties.

.JPG | 81.7KB | Insulation.JPG
Tee.JPG

Two parts, thread the needle so to speak and crank down the worm clamp from inside the pipe

.JPG | 23.7KB | Tee.JPG
tee parts.JPG

Parts view

.JPG | 21.4KB | tee parts.JPG
scaffolding.JPG

How to get up top with stability!

.JPG | 24.2KB | scaffolding.JPG

VanBuren

Post by VanBuren » Mon. Sep. 08, 2008 12:20 pm

CapeCoaler

thanks for photos - am envious of your scaffolding - nice job ! some qs for you whenever you have some time:

1. Does the kit only come with a T ? In your case and mine and as you mentioned that item will not be used - was there not an option to buy the kit with the stove adaptor only or there was no difference in price ?

2. is the liner from what you can deduce flexible enough for a few degrees e.g. 20~ as it comes into the fireplace ?

3. Did you buy the pulling cone ?

Your chimney looks in nice condition !

thanks

CapeCoaler

Post by CapeCoaler » Mon. Sep. 08, 2008 11:25 pm

The order got messed up...
got the kit....
was supposed to swap some parts and get the appliance adapter instead....
Bundled pricing and all...
Will call them back...
Rough few weeks with work....
Too much, but not complaining....
Bendable yes, easily not so much...
The .006 is tougher than I thought...
The .012 double wall would be a bear...
No problem getting over the smoke shelf it does flex...
But not like a Slinky....
Pulling cone Yes!!
Chimney is in good shape...
North side and all...
Crown needs some TLC...
Metal foil tape does not come in the kit...
It is needed, do not go cheap on this one...
Get the good stuff used with gas dryer vents...
The Depot/Lowe's has it reasonable...
Nothing major, sealant and a SS Monster Cap for all three flues.
The Scaffolding is from the Chimney Guy...
Too busy now to screw around...
But I will take advantage of his setup and man power to do the liner...
He is a good guy and agreed to help with the liner install since he was already doing work here anyway...
Karma...
Good to have on your side....
Need Metal Foil Tape...
Not in kit....
Get the good stuff used for gas dryer vents...
The Depot/Lowe's has it reasonable...

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”