Hotblast vs hitzer 55

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Thu. May. 06, 2021 9:32 am

My Riteway which is basicly the same as the large Hitzer is a real old one and has a 6" exit vent instead of 7", and my chimney is also 6". Even though i have a great draft I wish I had 7". So like Fred, Im not recommending that one either.

rmishler
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman tlc
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: DS Ecomiser
Coal Size/Type: anthracite nut

Post by rmishler » Thu. May. 06, 2021 3:39 pm

Warminmn, and Fred,
Thanks for the feedback and to any others I failed to mention. I spoke with the hardware owner and dean at hitzer and both told me not to reduce the 82 down to 6”. Now I just wait for the stove to come in and run my ductwork, put a flu up and stock up on fuel. I plan to burn would in shoulder seasons when I only need fire in evening.

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Thu. May. 06, 2021 6:52 pm

Just learn how to run the stove on sleepy mode...
Still running the 503 because it still gets cold at night...
It is a beautiful thing when the weatherman is wrong and I can bring the 503 back to life in 90 minutes...

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Fri. May. 07, 2021 6:11 am

rmishler wrote:
Thu. May. 06, 2021 3:39 pm
Warminmn, and Fred,
Thanks for the feedback and to any others I failed to mention. I spoke with the hardware owner and dean at hitzer and both told me not to reduce the 82 down to 6”.
You were wise to get their advice. I am looking forward to hearing how the Hitzer is working for you next winter.

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Fri. May. 07, 2021 4:47 pm

Not to be difficult, but I'm not sure why there would be an issue necking down to a 6 inch flue on the 82.. I mean there are other 125,000 BTU stoves that are 6 inch... and seems like I've seen posts where others have done it.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Fri. May. 07, 2021 6:04 pm

Yeah really--------------what the hell does Dean know--he only builds the things!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL--- AND, takes great pride in the most advantageous way to run them?????????????? :)

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Fri. May. 07, 2021 6:42 pm

Lightning wrote:
Fri. May. 07, 2021 4:47 pm
Not to be difficult, but I'm not sure why there would be an issue necking down to a 6 inch flue on the 82.. I mean there are other 125,000 BTU stoves that are 6 inch... and seems like I've seen posts where others have done it.
Besides what Fred said, :lol: , if you look at the 82 you will see the flue is at the same height as the door. Even running mine low (with its 6" vent) it smells more when I open the door than any other stove Ive run on anthracite or wood. A flapper thingy across the door opening helps but it still stinks more. Burning lignite or wood in it i have to let it burn down before adding fuel and load quick. A 55 you can open the door without a major smell issue.

If it was designed how the 55 is, like a larger version, it might be ok. But the 82's burning/reburn design doesnt allow a top vent. Maybe there are other reasons. Burning most soft coals would be another reason to have a larger flu too. Lignite doesnt seem to plug mine.

rmishler

Post by rmishler » Tue. Jul. 13, 2021 11:57 am

I ordered a hitzer 55fa from a local hardware and they were great, but I explained I wanted it in may so I could get help with installing. It’s mid July and it still hasn’t shipped, hitzer is waiting on grates. In the mean time a nice used ds ecomiser became available. I purchased it and replaced 2 grates. Looks very well made. I love the built in external shaker handle. Time will tell but I think it may be a better unit.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Tue. Jul. 13, 2021 12:07 pm

R, the DS is a well made/functional unit--BUT, as we all know--the proof is in the puddin--I have NO idea who the hell came up with that lil diddy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL Not necessarily better R--just another well made product. :)

rmishler

Post by rmishler » Sun. Nov. 14, 2021 11:17 pm

I’m burning wood this week in the middle of November. I am very pleased, I have 3 lines coming off my plenum. 1 8” to my finished basement side of the house that then rises naturally. The other 2 are 6” to bedrooms that I mostly have to keep closed all the way. My above the door temp on the stove is running 3-400 degrees and keeping the house 72*. It’s about 34 outside. The unfinished side where the furnace is located. Is about the same temp from radiant heat. So in total this thing is heating almost 4000 sq feet very easily. The house is built in the 80’s and pretty well insulated. Windows are about 35 years old but double pane. I have 2 sets of sliding glass doors in my living room with 4 windows above and 2 man doors, this is the coldest area in the house. It used to be the warmest when burning the harman tlc below. It’s still comfortable in t shirt most of the time. I am a novice in forced air furnace as this is my first but I am loving it.

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Sun. Nov. 14, 2021 11:41 pm

rmishler wrote:
Tue. Jul. 13, 2021 11:57 am
I ordered a hitzer 55fa from a local hardware and they were great, but I explained I wanted it in may so I could get help with installing. It’s mid July and it still hasn’t shipped, hitzer is waiting on grates. In the mean time a nice used ds ecomiser became available. I purchased it and replaced 2 grates. Looks very well made. I love the built in external shaker handle. Time will tell but I think it may be a better unit.
From the above in July to now November 2021...

Hitzer:
Dean told me the other day he was still have trouble getting cast iron grates and cast iron doors.

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t

Post by Hoytman » Sun. Nov. 14, 2021 11:48 pm

Hitzer 55? I believe that’s what you wrote.

What is your dial setting on and how far open is your air intake flap hooked to the stat?

rmishler

Post by rmishler » Mon. Nov. 15, 2021 7:50 am

Hoytman,
I’m burning a Ds Ecomiser but got it used and it’s older than the style that came with the flap. I only have 4 knobs, 2on each door. When I burn wood keep the ash door knobs closed and visa versa with anthracite

Hoytman

Post by Hoytman » Mon. Nov. 15, 2021 8:14 am

rmishler wrote:
Tue. Jul. 13, 2021 11:57 am
Ah yes! I somehow missed that.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”