Switching from Stoker to Hand Fired

scalabro
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40, PP Stewart No. 14, Abendroth Bros "Record 40"
Coal Size/Type: Stove / Anthracite.
Other Heating: Oil fired, forced hot air.

Post by scalabro » Wed. Jan. 12, 2022 1:56 pm

Call Wilson Mull (Skip) at (508) 763-8941. I know he has at least one #6 ready to go, and one #8 that is close. He has other wood/coal stoves too like “Wings Best”.

Give him a shout he’s a great guy.

oliver power
Stoker Coal Boiler: KEYSTOKER Kaa-2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93 & 30-95, Vigilant (pre-2310), D.S. 1600 Circulator, Hitzer 254

Post by oliver power » Wed. Jan. 26, 2022 10:23 pm

Spacecadet wrote:
Tue. Jan. 11, 2022 9:13 pm
Good choice. If I ever buy a new stove I would seriously consider buying a ds. Can’t find a used one. No one gets rid of them.
I got rid of two :lol: :lol: A 1600 Circulator, and a 1500 Circulator. Had the 1600 in the shop. The 1500 never had a fire in it. Both had hoppers, and optional warming shelves. Down the road they went. I went back to Hitzer.

HandFire
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS 110
Coal Size/Type: Stove/Nut

Post by HandFire » Thu. Jan. 27, 2022 8:10 am

NY_TunnelJet wrote:
Tue. Apr. 20, 2021 10:19 pm
DS alot of extra $$$ for what extra benefits?
When I was in the market for a stove, Hitzer prices were higher than DS but maybe things have changed? I can tell you DS stoves with secondary air are far more flexible. They move air better without fans. When set up PROPERLY they will operate from a low idle below 200°F up to whatever you need so getting a large capacity won't "cook" you. Non hopper stoves will give a rock steady output over 12 to 15 hour 425° tendings with no different tending than a hopper. Throw in a load and walk away. Lower temps down to idling less than 200° will stretch out to nearly 2 days tending times. Secondary air will give you no puffbacks. They are tunable stoves as they flow air very well. No contest for burning wood if you need or want to. Your buying 2 stoves in one BUT there is a learning curve. If your not willing
to put the time in and learn how they operate, don't get one. So if your seeing extra $$$ then that's what you are paying for, more flexibility. Both brands are more than capable heat producers but you would be happier with a Hitzer if your a plug and play person.

CoalisCoolxWarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: old Sears rebuilt, bituminous- offline as of winter 2014
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Buckwheat
Other Heating: Oil Boiler

Post by CoalisCoolxWarm » Thu. Jan. 27, 2022 10:10 am

Just throwing this out there. A battery bank with inverter, or a generator would likely cost less than a new stove and allow you to retain the stoker efficiency and automation.

A lot of people struggle to get a coal appliance dialed in. Since yours apparently is and you are satisfied with the performance, ask if you really want to change it, or you want heating capabilities during a power outage, and how often does that occur?

Now you have an alternative to weigh your options against. Good luck in your decision.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”