Wasting coal with DS EnergyMax 110

dunedainranger
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Energy Max 110

Post by dunedainranger » Sun. Apr. 18, 2021 10:40 am

Hello, so I finally got my stove installed two weeks ago and I decided to give it a try considering the temps are still in the 50s here. I heard some mixed things about the TSC bagged nut coal - so I just bought 10 bags to test it. No joke, it was greatly varying in size with fines, and mulch.
Anyways, new to hand fired and had to take a good 2 days to get a good coal fire going. I've been having one issue, however. Maybe it is just a skill that is learned eventually, but I waste so much coal when shaking.
For starters, the shaker gets jammed very easily. I think you guys call that 'bridging'?
I've read older posts regarding how to shake properly. But still losing full coals and getting very little ash. When emptying my ash bin today I noticed a lot of unburnt and half-burned coal.
P.s. I'm not over extending the shaker handle. I'm doing small shakes and yet it still gets jammed up. I've tried poking first to break up the coals and ash, but still jamming and wasting coal.
Any suggestions?

Attachments

20210417_120257.jpg

Stove setup

.JPG | 325KB | 20210417_120257.jpg

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Sun. Apr. 18, 2021 1:41 pm

You could try extending the burn time before shaking. With warmer weather and lower heat output, the batch may just need more burn time.
Bridging is when the pieces of coal fit themselves together across the fire bed to form a bridge, and not drop down even though the ash below has been cleared. Less likely with a wide fire pot.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Sun. Apr. 18, 2021 1:58 pm

TSC coal is often wet and that could have made it harder to get lit. I consider it easier to light when dry than others. If you have access to Blaschak or Lehigh nut you may want to try that too. There wont be as many fines in it.

dunedainranger

Post by dunedainranger » Sun. Apr. 18, 2021 2:16 pm

Thanks for the replies. I'm thinking I was just tending it to often, and not allowing the coal to burn. I'll probably be switching coal at some point. I'm in central PA (Carlisle), and unfortunately the major coal yard near me shutdown recently. So I just bought TSC bagged just so I could get a chance to try this thing.
Anyways, thanks again for the tips.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sun. Apr. 18, 2021 2:37 pm

Yep, I been down to tendin every 24 hrs. for a couple weeks now with the old HITZER. :)

Den034071
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer, 3095

Post by Den034071 » Sun. Apr. 18, 2021 3:57 pm

Try machlite charcoal to startt your stove Get charcoal blazing red add some coal on top but leave a open spot of fire to act as a pilot lite Every 10 minutes or so sprinkle ore coal be Patient.Should take you 45 minutes to have a nice fire .jack

oliver power
Stoker Coal Boiler: KEYSTOKER Kaa-2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93 & 30-95, Vigilant (pre-2310), D.S. 1600 Circulator, Hitzer 254

Post by oliver power » Sun. Apr. 18, 2021 9:57 pm

All good advice. Not much draft with these warmer outside temps either. I agree, Extend your tending time.

CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Mon. Apr. 19, 2021 12:46 pm

Agreed, I'm shaking and filling once a day now, in the cold weather it's twice a day.

JohnB
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: Mostly nut, some pea

Post by JohnB » Tue. Apr. 20, 2021 11:28 am

oliver power wrote:
Sun. Apr. 18, 2021 9:57 pm
All good advice. Not much draft with these warmer outside temps either. I agree, Extend your tending time.
72*F outside today & my chimney is still pulling .07 with the baro installed but adjustment backed off. Backed it off late yesterday when the fire ashed up & I almost lost it. Just reset the adjustment to bring the draft down below .05.

Spacecadet
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 30-95, Hitzer 30/95
Coal Size/Type: nut
Other Heating: US stove 6041 pellet

Post by Spacecadet » Sat. Apr. 24, 2021 8:52 am

You’ll have burn problems like you are when burning inconsistently sized coal. The burn times per piece are different and when burning real slow with warm temps it’s just more of a fight. When I first started my trip down the coal road I tried the TSC stuff. What a nightmare. It was starting to second guess my coal burning decision. After fighting with the TSC stuff for a few days I took a ride and got a pickup load from my local supplier- Cornwall coal. I haven’t had an issue like that since. I eventually used up the TSC stuff up. That was the probably the first lesson I learned.

JohnB
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: Mostly nut, some pea

Post by JohnB » Sat. Apr. 24, 2021 9:45 am

The Blaschak nut I burnt this Winter wasn't consistently sized either. Lots of large pieces the size of a small fist & a fair amount of small pea sized stuff. Still seems to be the best option here in southern New England. When my supplier had an early Spring clearance sale I stocked up & Biden proofed our coal supply for the next 4.5 years.

dunedainranger

Post by dunedainranger » Sat. Apr. 24, 2021 10:25 am

Spacecadet wrote:
Sat. Apr. 24, 2021 8:52 am
You’ll have burn problems like you are when burning inconsistently sized coal. The burn times per piece are different and when burning real slow with warm temps it’s just more of a fight. When I first started my trip down the coal road I tried the TSC stuff. What a nightmare. It was starting to second guess my coal burning decision. After fighting with the TSC stuff for a few days I took a ride and got a pickup load from my local supplier- Cornwall coal. I haven’t had an issue like that since. I eventually used up the TSC stuff up. That was the probably the first lesson I learned.
Thanks for the input everyone. I really believe that it's a combo of things. First the draft must be weak. I'm gonna get a manometer on it soon to really see what is happening. Depending, I'll modify the chimney and/or use a draft inducer. I noticed the TSC is junk honestly. Most of my bag is dust or very small pieces, not to mention the coal is damp. As soon as I lay it down on my wood coals it just smolders, or at best lights a small section. Once I start adding more and more coal it will go out.
Also, I had a member help me troubleshoot, and most of the info I got from them, which I'm glad for. So yeah combo of inexperience and poor conditions. I've just been burning wood on the occasional cold day until I resolve the issues.

CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Sat. Apr. 24, 2021 9:45 pm

"Most of my bag is dust or very small pieces"
Well there you are! The coal bed needs a good air flow through it, especially when the weather turns warmer and we cut the fire back.

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Sat. Apr. 24, 2021 10:25 pm

...and the dust/fines cut down on the air flow through the coal bed.

Den034071
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer, 3095

Post by Den034071 » Sun. Apr. 25, 2021 2:43 pm

D buy half inch chicken screen at local hardware store .Next make a 24 inch by 32 inck frame .Staple wire to frame .This should fit over a wheelbarrow .Then dump your mixed coal over the screen all Small Coal fines Will Fall Through .Now you have larger Clean coal .Try it works for me .jack

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”