Optimum coal temp?

fpappal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 30-95
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite/nut

Post by fpappal » Mon. Mar. 08, 2021 8:53 pm

Hello,
Sorry for all the questions. Is there an optimum temp that a coal stove should be run at? My Hitzer 30-95 has been averaging around the high 300s. My draft control is set to 7 which is halfway. Manometer has been consistently reading .05. I have a manual damper set at about the 1 o'clock position. When the ashes are deep after around 10 hours of burning it is in the low 300s or high 200s.

As long as it continues to burn is that fine? I am using an IR thermometer to take the temp by aiming it at the glass in the door. It is maintaining my basement at a comfortable temp, I would not want it any hotter.

I bought one of those magnetic thermometers but it is not very accurate. I have it stuck to the side of my stove and it reads 50 degrees colder than the IR thermometer. According to the magnet the side is 150, the IR tells me the side is 208, and the glass door is currently 290.

Thanks for any replies.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Mon. Mar. 08, 2021 9:02 pm

If you want the temp lower just turn the air intake down. Every stove probably has a sweet spot. 300 or close with the ones Ive used, but if your hot turn it down, cold turn it up.

Magnet thermos are just a guideline thing and dont need to be accurate. If your having a very cold day and it says 300 then you know what to set the stove on the next time its very cold. it isnt the degrees that it says, its kinda like a setting on your stove to learn. Your draft sounds good for this time of year.

If you are getting a draft to the coal and you have coal in it to burn it wont go out. Ashed up real bad it could. The ash removal is probably the hardest part of coal burning to learn but you have a simple stove to operate and that helps. Your doing fine.

Rich W.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vermont Castings Vigilant Multi-Fuel (coal for me); Vermont Castings Vigilant 2310 in the shop
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: System 2000 Oil Burner; VC Resolute Woodstove (sold) Jotul 8 Woodstove (sold)

Post by Rich W. » Mon. Mar. 08, 2021 9:13 pm

I have two Vermont Castings Vigilant stoves, one in the living room fireplace and one in the garage shop. Both are spec’d to run at 400*-600*. I tend to run both at the low end of the range, and still have “blue ladies” burning off the volatiles. I enjoy very long burn times at these surface temps. I hope this helps...

charlesosborne2002
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant II 2310
Other Heating: natural gas central forced air

Post by charlesosborne2002 » Mon. Mar. 08, 2021 10:03 pm

Rich W. wrote:
Mon. Mar. 08, 2021 9:13 pm
I have two Vermont Castings Vigilant stoves, one in the living room fireplace and one in the garage shop. Both are spec’d to run at 400*-600*. I tend to run both at the low end of the range, and still have “blue ladies” burning off the volatiles. I enjoy very long burn times at these surface temps. I hope this helps...
When it is cold I run my Vigilant 2 around 650--my manual says up to 700. It also says if any part of the stove gets red, it is too hot. (Duhhh...) Since I don't want to stand over it watching the thermometer, if it is around 650 and I need the heat, I leave it be. If temps are below 30 outside, a 400 degree stove would not be warm enough inside for me. My cottage is less than 1000 sq ft., but not well insulated.

When it is not so cold, say 40 or 50 degrees out, I turn it low ( 250-300) and crack windows. But I try to use it as my only heat; I can boost it with natural gas central heat if it is below 20 degrees. And our last 3 winters have been mild except for one very cold spell this year. I started it after Thanksgiving and topped it after the February cold spell.

Gian4

Post by Gian4 » Wed. Mar. 10, 2021 6:38 pm

Does your stove have a blower or is it radiant heat only. Double walled stove with blower running is different then a single walled radiant heat only stove. Just saying.
Gian4

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”