Coal sizes

btarby15
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite, Stove
Other Heating: Heatmor 100CB

Post by btarby15 » Fri. Mar. 19, 2021 5:30 am

lee192233 wrote:
Thu. Mar. 18, 2021 10:54 pm
Hi
With my Big Jack I added fire brick to allow the coal to only sit above the grate. Any true coal burning furnace has grates under the entire firebed. Here's a picture with the fire out. My firebox is approximately 22x12x12". When I load it up I can get about 90 lbs of nut size coal in. The deeper the firebed the better the burn will be.20210220_060539.jpg
Here's a picture that shows how high I have it loaded up. This was after 12 hours with outside temps around 0° and the house was at 72°. When I load it up the coal is at the top of my firebrick. 20210213_053334.jpg
I would try adding brick to keep your coal above the grates. That way you won't have a bunch of unburned coal on the sides. Then when you load it up don't be afraid to fill it up. You should be able to get at least 200 lbs in that firebox. I can get easy 12 hour burns with my furnace even when below 0 at night. Coal is 100% controlled by the amount of combustion air. Make small adjustments and give plenty of time to see the result. I also take notes of my settings and performance changes. It makes things easily repeatable.

I hope my ramblings help,
Lee
Definitely does help! Good to hear that you’ve done something similar with success. I think that’ll solve my issues. The first time I really filled it, it gave me a 12 hour burn, but the problem is that if I keep filling it that high, I just keep getting more and more build up on the sides of either unburnt coal or ash, so it’s hard to maintain it.

My boiler is “specifically” designed for coal, warnings all over about how if you burn wood in it, it’ll void the lifetime warranty...but the design sure tempts one to burn wood in it!

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Fri. Mar. 19, 2021 7:47 pm

btarby15 wrote:
Fri. Mar. 19, 2021 5:30 am
The first time I really filled it, it gave me a 12 hour burn, but the problem is that if I keep filling it that high, I just keep getting more and more build up on the sides of either unburnt coal or ash, so it’s hard to maintain it.

My boiler is “specifically” designed for coal,
So I had a similar thing going on with my hand fed furnace. It was "V" shaped with ledges that would accumulate ash. You can use a poker to loosen the build up, then move it over the center and shake it out twice a week. It's important that you rev up the fire first and not wait till most of the fuel is burned up. Other than that, the build up of ash on the sides isn't a deal breaker. It will channel the combustion air up thru the center where the viable coal is. Fill it up, 10-12 inches deep all the way across, shake ash and repeat, it'll work.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”