Hitzer ash pan door lever: I do not like it.

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Sat. Mar. 06, 2021 9:03 pm

I don’t have a single door model stove as many of you already know, but I do like the single door. I especially like the lever on the single door and how it closes.

However, I am not a fan of the ash pan door lever and how it closes. In my opinion it needs to be updated to match that of the load door making it easier to open and close.

My ash pan door takes two hands to open and close without anti-seize being applied and even then it is even tough for me to close and I have strong hands and wrists.

It’s really hard for my son to close it, and there’s no way my wife could close it.

I did improve mine by applying never seize before starting the stove, but it needs another coating. I feel applying anti-seize shouldn’t really be a necessary step.

I would really like to see them update the ash pan door handle to match the upper single door lever. It opens and closes so much easier and is much more smooth as well. I think Harman/Legacy have similarly opening door levers.

At least with my stove, some older folks with less strength would have a real issue opening and closing the ash pan door and because of that it could become a safety issue for them.

That is the only real complaint or flaw of the stove that I see.

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Sat. Mar. 06, 2021 9:18 pm

Should not be that hard to open/close...
Same function on my 503 ash door, single handed no issue...
The wife could do it if she chose to, LOL...
A minor adjustment may be needed...
It is a friction fit so the 'tab' on the handle can be moved back a degree or two...

oliver power
Stoker Coal Boiler: KEYSTOKER Kaa-2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93 & 30-95, Vigilant (pre-2310), D.S. 1600 Circulator, Hitzer 254

Post by oliver power » Mon. Mar. 08, 2021 9:03 pm

My ash pan door handle was a two hander. It did not turn hard, but I needed two hands to turn it squarely, otherwise it would bind. A little shot of oil took care of that.

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Tue. Mar. 09, 2021 3:10 pm

oliver power wrote:
Mon. Mar. 08, 2021 9:03 pm
My ash pan door handle was a two hander. It did not turn hard, but I needed two hands to turn it squarely, otherwise it would bind. A little shot of oil took care of that.
Thanks Oliver. You described exactly what I am feeling. If I keep it squared with both hands it is just fine.

I bought this stove used and it supposedly only had about 3-4 wood fires in it when I bought it. I believe this was the case. Bricks still looked new with just a little black in them. Must have been small hot fires because the inside of the stoves metal appeared newer as well. Very minimal surface rust and the same for carbon build up. The ash pan door, the washer welded to the handle had not even worn the paint off the door at all. Now I can see some bare metal there now where the washer is welded slightly off center and rubbing the metal bare. I will put some more anti-seize on the door latch and a drop of oil just behind that washer and see if it helps. I believe it will help quite a bit.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Tue. Mar. 09, 2021 4:50 pm

That's it, time for a new 254.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Tue. Mar. 09, 2021 6:10 pm

LOL indeed Billy. :)

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Tue. Mar. 09, 2021 6:48 pm

smaller gasket? A little filing on the latch?

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”