Carbon monoxide symphony

nut
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glacier Bay
Coal Size/Type: nut
Other Heating: electric

Post by nut » Wed. Jan. 04, 2023 4:20 pm

Ok, up to 68 today and the stove is running hotter than normal. Only difference is a door was open (house door) all afternoon. It seems like the door being open affected the burn rate. The house is tight. I built it myself. I wonder if this is a possibility? I always noticed the dryer being on seems to affect the burn rate.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Wed. Jan. 04, 2023 6:25 pm

Yes, if the house is very "air tight" then it can't feed a fire well.

Anyone remember years ago the report about a guy that shrink-wrapped his house to save heat and died due to lack of oxygen during the winter?

I went crazy insulating and sealing up my last house and it caused problems such as, cooking and the many other "indoor smells" took far longer to leave. Plus, we, (two adults and four kids), had far more respiratory infections. Moved all six of us to a leaky old house and those problems diminished greatly.

You may have to install a dedicated air feed near the stove like they do with some heating installs.

Paul

nut
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glacier Bay
Coal Size/Type: nut
Other Heating: electric

Post by nut » Wed. Jan. 04, 2023 7:15 pm

Any advice as to sizing and positioning of an air inlet. Can it be just into the room or does it have to be near the stove?

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Wed. Jan. 04, 2023 7:52 pm

Nearest to the stove works best.

I had cold draft chills from the furnace cold air return floor grating at the opposite end of the living room from the fireplace. In the floor of the fireplace was small cast iron doors to an ash pit with outside cleanout door in the chimney base. I propped the cleanout door open slightly and the ash doors so the fireplace pulled air from under the fire. No more cold air draft from the furnace return.

Paul

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”