Nice to be back to a bag a day.

fig
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF360
Hand Fed Coal Stove: T.O.M (Warm Morning converted to baseburner by Steve) Round Oak 1917 Door model O-3, Warm Morning 400, Warm Morning 524, Warm Morning 414,Florence No.77, Warm Morning 523-b
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 7.1/DS Machine basement stove/ Harman SF1500
Baseburners & Antiques: Renown Parlor stove 87B
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous/anthracite
Other Heating: Harman Accentra, enviro omega, Vermont Ironworks Elm stove, Quadrafire Mt Vernon, Logwood stove, Sotz barrel stove,

Post by fig » Mon. Mar. 01, 2021 9:31 am

That cold snap knocked the crap out of my coal pile. At certain times I was burning 3 bags a day. Now down to one a day sometimes less. 10 bags left then I’m going to try to burn up what’s left of the 1000 lbs of bit and the ton of wood pellets I have left. I’m staring at a week of 50 degree high temps and mid 30s lows. Hope I get burn up all this stuff before the end of the season.

waytomany?s
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark II
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Looking
Baseburners & Antiques: Looking
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: newmac wood/coal combo furnace

Post by waytomany?s » Mon. Mar. 01, 2021 9:06 pm

Does the bit dry out for lack of a better term?

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Mon. Mar. 01, 2021 9:40 pm

Fig, no offense but it sounds like you need to stop buying stoves and coal and insulate that house this summer. You’ll have more money for stoves afterwards.

fig
Hand Fed Coal Stove: T.O.M (Warm Morning converted to baseburner by Steve) Round Oak 1917 Door model O-3, Warm Morning 400, Warm Morning 524, Warm Morning 414,Florence No.77, Warm Morning 523-b
Other Heating: Harman Accentra, enviro omega, Vermont Ironworks Elm stove, Quadrafire Mt Vernon, Logwood stove, Sotz barrel stove,

Post by fig » Mon. Mar. 01, 2021 10:22 pm

I totally agree. It was my intention to do that last summer but COVID drove up 2x4 studs three times their normal price. I just have firring strips screwed into the block walls covered with plaster lathe so I need to stud out all the existing walls in order to have a cavity to insulate. There is only a 3/4 inch gap between the block and plaster lathe. So as my luck runs it I’ll have to wait and see if the price of studs goes back down. After 21 years in this tomb I finally decide to insulate and bam....COVID. Lol.

Waytomannys. I cover my bit with a tarp. If that’s what you mean.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Mon. Mar. 01, 2021 10:44 pm

$6-$7 2x4's suck! Its slowing me down too. Watch auctions, facebook and CL for used ones I guess but they are high there too.

fig

Post by fig » Mon. Mar. 01, 2021 11:31 pm

Might as well buy steel I guess.

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Tue. Mar. 02, 2021 12:26 am

True, but the cost of heat is going up also.

waytomany?s
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark II
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Looking
Baseburners & Antiques: Looking
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: newmac wood/coal combo furnace

Post by waytomany?s » Wed. Mar. 03, 2021 9:10 pm

Skip the studs and glue that 2" foam to the block. Stud in front later. As to the bit, I just don't know anything about it. Read somewhere about the oils drying out of it or something along that line.

fig

Post by fig » Wed. Mar. 03, 2021 10:21 pm

I’m not planning on removing the plaster lathe. I was just going to stud in front of it, insulate and drywall. Never thought about glueing foam up. I’ll have to look into that. Thanks for the tip.

tsb
Stoker Coal Boiler: Binford 2000
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL Pioneer top vent
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Saey Hanover II
Baseburners & Antiques: Grander Golden Oak , Glenwood # 6
Coal Size/Type: All of them

Post by tsb » Thu. Mar. 04, 2021 7:30 am

We raised and insulted the floors and studded the walls. We used fiberglass for both. Works great, BUT, it makes a home and a race track for mice and flying squirrels.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Thu. Mar. 04, 2021 10:13 am

fig wrote:
Wed. Mar. 03, 2021 10:21 pm
I’m not planning on removing the plaster lathe. I was just going to stud in front of it, insulate and drywall. Never thought about glueing foam up. I’ll have to look into that. Thanks for the tip.
Glueing up the 2" you could run 8' side horizotial and do the top 4' one season/year and do the lower 4' the following season/year...no need to waste time and fuel holding out for material cost to go backwards.
Finishing top half first MAKES MONEY in fuel savings in first year at half done and so then when buying material second year cost is offset buy the previous years fuel savings...man don't procrastinate...save some dough!!!
Going into 3rd season you'll be able to heat the place with a candle!!!

You can thank me later!!!! LOL

fig

Post by fig » Thu. Mar. 04, 2021 10:34 am

I reckon I’ll have to strip the wallpaper and glue to the plaster directly? The seams must get taped?

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Thu. Mar. 04, 2021 12:11 pm

fig wrote:
Thu. Mar. 04, 2021 10:34 am
I reckon I’ll have to strip the wallpaper and glue to the plaster directly? The seams must get taped?
Like all things in life...there are more than one way to 'skin that cat'.

With having the wallpaper then the seams would already be taped by proxy.. so it really comes down to a preference of to strip wall paper, glue the foam board and then ultimately do a re-tape over the foam joints...or... leave the wall paper and cover and anchor another durable inexpensive and thin substrate that would then support a glued insulation board thereby eliminating any wall paper stripping thus skipping any additional taping... something to ponder...

fig

Post by fig » Thu. Mar. 04, 2021 12:31 pm

Ok thanks.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”