Hitzer 254

hcarlow
Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line WL 110

Post by hcarlow » Wed. Mar. 24, 2021 1:17 pm

I have pretty much decided on the Hitzer 254 after reading some very good reviews from Oliver . With a tending time of 24 hrs. and it's heating ability , it seems like a very good choice for what I need . I was looking at the Hitzer 55 a while back but things just didn't add up for that one . The 254 and 55 put out about the same btu's and heat about the same area according to Hitzers figures . The one thing that really puzzles me is that the 55 has a much larger grate area and a much larger fire box area and yet they heat about the same . Could one assume the 254 is that much more efficient and why ?

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Wed. Mar. 24, 2021 4:40 pm

Nope, but I'm figurin that the 55 will go longer between tending??????????????????????????

HandFire
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS 110
Coal Size/Type: Stove/Nut

Post by HandFire » Wed. Mar. 24, 2021 5:25 pm

hcarlow wrote:
Wed. Mar. 24, 2021 1:17 pm
I have pretty much decided on the Hitzer 254 after reading some very good reviews from Oliver . With a tending time of 24 hrs. and it's heating ability
If your heating from the basement I would consider a bigger stove. Manufacturers ratings for sq ft are pretty good. 24 + hr. tendings are easily done learning how to run it with most modern stoves. I'm a basement heater and you will be glad when it gets into single digits, below that you went for a larger stove. When you need to push a smaller stove those tending times are going down.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Wed. Mar. 24, 2021 6:38 pm

freetown fred wrote:
Wed. Mar. 24, 2021 4:40 pm
Nope, but I'm figurin that the 55 will go longer between tending??????????????????????????
That would be an interesting side by side comparison!

I'd enjoy the window on the 254 but other than that I wouldnt care which one of the two. The 254 would cost more new. Would that make itself up by coal savings? It really is a crap shoot as they are both good, as are any of the Hitzers. I do think more of the 254 after this long topic with great detailed info in it though.

Toddburn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 983/ Hitzer 55
Coal Size/Type: Nut anthracite/pea
Other Heating: Heat pump/forced air

Post by Toddburn » Wed. Mar. 24, 2021 8:14 pm

Oliver power gave a great bit of info here and a superb explanation of the operation. I’m sure the 254 is a great stove. Just throwing this out there I feel the 55 would beat it in burn time length. I tend mine every 24 hours just because, running at around 400•. The coal bed still looks great before shaking. I burn a full 5 gal bucket and a few feed scoop shovels a day. The stove could go another 12 hours with no problem. Can’t beat Hitzer stoves!

waytomany?s
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark II
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Looking
Baseburners & Antiques: Looking
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: newmac wood/coal combo furnace

Post by waytomany?s » Wed. Mar. 24, 2021 9:09 pm

The 254 is heavier built. I believe the fan gives the extra heating capacity. Getting more heat from the stove I guess is what I mean. The 55 is thinner steel and if run like corrosion man, no where near the longevity of the 254.

hcarlow

Post by hcarlow » Thu. Mar. 25, 2021 1:32 pm

There were several factors I took into consideration in making my possible choice for the 254 with the fan . This is not my primary heat source , it is to keep my my house from freezing up if without power for an extended period of time and may use some for the shoulder months . I keep a constant eye on my draft situation and it isn't great . I have read where some of the larger stoves really should have about .04 , .05 .. I rarely ever get there . I would say my average is .02 to .03 with some heat going up the 26 ft. chimney . One side of my house faces north and open fields the other side has a thick line of tall spruce trees only 50 ft. away . I may not even have enough for the 254 , I just don't know at this point . I have no problems with my coal boiler until we start getting into the daytime 70 degree weather . I would guess the combustion fan helps to get things going up the chimney on the boiler . The hand fed doesn't have that luxury . I will have to talk with Dean and or my Hitzer dealer in my area .

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Thu. Mar. 25, 2021 2:53 pm

The Hitzer manual for the 254/354 says to run it between -.03”WC to -.06”WC.

My 354 is currently running at -.01”WC and the stove has a 7” top outlet going into an 8” inch thimble into 8”x8” clay lined masonry chimney at 15ft in height measured from top of the chimney to the firebox floor and the chimney is only 10ft above the thimble.

I like to maintain-.02”WC most times. Today’s outside air temp is 55F and rain with a storm and high winds coming.

hcarlow

Post by hcarlow » Thu. Mar. 25, 2021 3:14 pm

Hoytman wrote:
Thu. Mar. 25, 2021 2:53 pm
The Hitzer manual for the 254/354 says to run it between -.03”WC to -.06”WC.

My 354 is currently running at -.01”WC and the stove has a 7” top outlet going into an 8” inch thimble into 8”x8” clay lined masonry chimney at 15ft in height measured from top of the chimney to the firebox floor and the chimney is only 10ft above the thimble.

I like to maintain-.02”WC most times. Today’s outside air temp is 55F and rain with a storm and high winds coming.
That is good to know you can go down that low and still maintain your fire . That gives me some confidence with my situation here . THANKS

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t

Post by Hoytman » Thu. Mar. 25, 2021 3:29 pm

A 254 has a 6” top outlet, so in your chimney will be 2” smaller than the chimney size. You will lose some draft because of the size difference, but...

...what you lose in size difference of the area of the stove outlet and the chimney area/size you may gain back with your additional height. The additional height along with being two inches bigger than the stove outlet could hurt your draft as well. I can’t really say how a 254 will act with your existing chimney. I know for a fact with your chimney that the bigger stove would have zero issues drafting where ever you want to run it. Maybe someone else has a better guestimate than me.

oliver power
Stoker Coal Boiler: KEYSTOKER Kaa-2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93 & 30-95, Vigilant (pre-2310), D.S. 1600 Circulator, Hitzer 254

Post by oliver power » Fri. Mar. 26, 2021 11:58 pm

HandFire wrote:
Wed. Mar. 24, 2021 5:25 pm
If your heating from the basement I would consider a bigger stove. Manufacturers ratings for sq ft are pretty good. 24 + hr. tendings are easily done learning how to run it with most modern stoves. I'm a basement heater and you will be glad when it gets into single digits, below that you went for a larger stove. When you need to push a smaller stove those tending times are going down.
I agree with you 100% HandFire.

Hoytman

Post by Hoytman » Sat. Mar. 27, 2021 12:00 pm

oliver power wrote:
Fri. Mar. 26, 2021 11:58 pm
I agree with you 100% HandFire.
I also agree with Oliver concerning the coal stove.

The following is just for your additional consideration...

However, I have additional concerns...that the coal stove is not going to be used for primary heating. Again, minimum once daily ash tending, and the slow response to thermostat changes of the coal stove and thus slow temp changes in the house...could makethe choice of a coal stove the wrong choice considering the circumstances and details mentioned by the user.

I still think under the circumstances mentioned that the BK King 40 Ultra or King Ultra model, would be a much better choice. Dang, he lives in wood country, not coal country, so buying wood should be way easier and cheaper than considering the cost of cutting it himself...and he’s too old, no offense intended, to be cutting wood at his age.

That, however, would not stop me from buying it, keeping it dry, and only using it when needed, as it is not his primary heat. That allows wood to continue seasoning well. The thermostat on the BK stove will afford near instant temp changes of the stove and much quicker temp changes in the house than the coal stove...and with the largest BK stove (not the Princess I mentioned earlier) he will...

1. Only have to empty ash about once every 2-4 weeks depending on how much he burns and how often. Could be much longer times between emptying ash if he doesn’t burn that often.

2. The largest BK wood stove has an 8” stove breech and requires an 8” chimney...which he already has. It’s pert near a perfect scenario for the BK stove. Only down side is the stove cost near $4k ... but it will perform like a coal stove and burn 40+ hours on low on one full load of wood. It’s sized to heat over 3000 sq ft so low burns in his house combined with the catalyst will mean long tend times between loading. With the 9” deep firebox, again, ash tending will be almost a once a month thing. If he buys the 40 Ultra model it has an ash dump with the 9” deep firebox. The wood in this stove will burn much longer than in an older style wood stove, way longer.

To me, given his burn/heating criteria (stove not being primary heat source) makes choosing the wood stove over coal a no brainer...even at his age and having to buy wood...and regardless of additional stove cost.

Change the burn circumstances to the stove being used for primary heat, then of course I would recommend the 254/354 stoves, likely the 354.

Quite honestly I was going to go with a BK in my own home, because it works like the coal stove, has a thermostat and is quite capable of low and clean burns because of the catalyst in the stove. These have a great reputation for long burns. The only issue with me using the same stove is I’m only heating one floor of a 1359 sq ft home and I’d have to choose a much smaller BK wood stove and would lose the long burn times. However, even when I needed to load the stove, in a smaller BK I would only load 1/3 of the wood of the larger stove for 20 hour burns. The larger wood stove has too much surface area for my home and a wood stove, even a catalyst stove, burns at high temperature, unlike the very large 354 coal stove I have which can burn at low temps. Just goes to show that low burn between a modern wood stove and a coal stove are NOT the same thing. The entire coal stove burns at a low temp. My coal stove is currently burning 230F at the doors and 180F measured under the thermostat. The large wood stove burns on low, but the stove top and catalyst temp are still giving off very high temperatures, 400F-1300F.

Whatever stove he chooses is certainly up to him and if he is happy, then we all should be happy for him. I just wanted to throw out my opinion for consideration and for what little it is worth given the burn criteria/circumstances he mentioned. If one of those circumstances changes that would likely alter my suggestion.

When he doesn’t need the stove, simply let it burn out in a few hours. If needed again, simply relight it. It’s going to take days to let the coal stove go out unless special steps are taken to snuff it out, along with dealing with ash and left over coal separately upon cleaning out. Relighting can be done somewhat easily, but not without some time and watching it.

Good luck with your decision. I’ll be tickled pink no matter your stove choice, and you’ll have a secondary heat source. That’s all good!

hcarlow

Post by hcarlow » Sat. Mar. 27, 2021 1:31 pm

Thanks for all your info Hoytman but I have no interest in a wood stove . I am to old to handle wood a half dozen times before it ever gets to stove and to old to climb up on my roof to clean out a chimney etc. etc. . I love coal as a heat source . I have been burning coal in the LL110 now for several years and my chimney is as clean as when I first started .If I have to tend the stove twice a day no big deal , I'm retired and home everyday .I took a pair of calipers and the inside of my chimney is 7 inches square . I now understand the need for a larger stove than the 254 to heat my entire house for it to comfortable in cold weather . I was considering the 254 as it was smaller and wouldn't need as much draft to keep it going , that was the main reason . After reading your comments on your draft situation I could probably use the 354 also .
Last edited by hcarlow on Sat. Mar. 27, 2021 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Sat. Mar. 27, 2021 2:23 pm

Dont get real hung up on keeping your draft low (via a baro) and you will probably be fine with keeping a draft. A little over fire air will help keep the draft going too, if it becomes an issue. A baro lets cooler air into your pipe than over fire air does, is a simple explanation. But whatever works is the thing to do. If you have to run it hotter, a couple extra pounds a day doesnt cost much and windows are easy to use to keep the house cooler.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sat. Mar. 27, 2021 3:12 pm

Whoa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Way to simplistic W!! :)

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”