Clearances for DS Energy Max 110

dunedainranger
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Energy Max 110

Post by dunedainranger » Wed. Feb. 10, 2021 10:11 pm

Hello, I'm new to the forum and to coal heating. I have a DS Energy Max 110 on order and am trying to prepare a hearth for it. I am a capable DIYer and am looking to save money on this portion of the project. I have read the manual and pamphlet for this stove, even talked to the DS guys but am still not understanding the clearances that this stove requires. I have attached a photo of the pamphlet and the corner where I plan to install. I am sure many of you are familiar with this stove and it's massive size and clearances. I was hoping for some insight on what type of materials I can use for a hearth, and understanding the clearances. Concerning the sides and rear clearance, is the distance supposed to be from the hearth board to the closest portion of the side or corner of the stove? Obviously it is angled, so the back portion of side of the stove is closer than the front. Similar situation with the rear of the stove. Is the distance supposed to be from the corner of the wall to the rear of the stove, or to the closest portion of the rear of the stove. Writing this, it sounds super confusing, but you can get an idea of why I am lost. They could have simply drawn a figure showing a top view of the stove and clearances instead of a table. I believe the clearances will be slightly different whether it is a corner or normal install. Thank you all for the help in advance.

Attachments

stove dimensions.jpg

stove specs and clearances

.JPG | 211.9KB | stove dimensions.jpg
stove corner.jpg

corner install area

.JPG | 213.2KB | stove corner.jpg

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Thu. Feb. 11, 2021 2:08 am

Not your stove but a picture for your brain...
B, D and E are your 24" distances...
Take a 24" string...
At any point along the stove side or back if it touches something combustible...
You need to move the stove further out...
You can reduce those distances with a properly designed heat shield...

CapeCoaler

Post by CapeCoaler » Thu. Feb. 11, 2021 2:13 am

dunedainranger

Post by dunedainranger » Thu. Feb. 11, 2021 12:01 pm

Thanks CapeCoaler for the help. I think that just about does it. The figure helps a whole lot more than just a table. Not my first time with stoves, but never installed any, let alone this size. Do you have any recommendations for a "cheap" hearth pad and heat shields for the walls? those things are not cheap! Also, does a 54x54" hearth pad sound about right for this setup? Do I need to elevate this stove? I'd like to not have to - since it weighs 750lbs.
The manf. recommended a type1 hearth pad, something like those steel plates for the ground. Though, this is being installed on top of vinyl planking. He said there is not a lot of heat from the bottom. Does this sound about right?

CapeCoaler

Post by CapeCoaler » Thu. Feb. 11, 2021 2:14 pm

Depends on the inspector for where you live...
Ma is very tight with the regs...
They have very utilitarian pads for reasonable prices...
The pretty ones get pricey and heavy...
You can build your own but check with the inspector first if you have one...
Sucks to not get approval if it is not to their liking...

dunedainranger

Post by dunedainranger » Thu. Feb. 11, 2021 3:12 pm

I almost forgot about that. Thanks. I'm down in central PA. If they are anything like my township, I should be fine. Seems laid-back where I live.

HandFire
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS 110
Coal Size/Type: Stove/Nut

Post by HandFire » Thu. Feb. 11, 2021 6:27 pm

I would extend the hearth at least 2 ft. In front of your stove. The 110 throws a lot of heat that way. Running in the 350-375° range my floor gets in the 120° range. I have seen 140° when pushed in the mid 400s. I have the basement sides and you could get by with 54" that way as it only gets 90° a foot away but make sure you don't bust an edge setting it. You know it has some weight. Don't think you'd like the smell of warm plastic in the morning.

dunedainranger

Post by dunedainranger » Thu. Feb. 11, 2021 7:59 pm

Great to hear from someone who has one! I went to the store and the only way the Amish could explain it was that it was a beast. I'm hoping this will be a good fit for my house, as it is freezing at the moment.
Do you recommend going with the next size up for a pad?
Luckily the Amish will be placing it on the hearth for me. Thank you for your input, though. I felt lost initially in regards to the clearances given the size and my install preference.

HandFire

Post by HandFire » Thu. Feb. 11, 2021 8:40 pm

I heat an old leaky ranch/basement @2400 the house stays mid 70's any time including single digits so unless your trying to do more than that it will put a smile on your face. After you meet your clearances just make sure you have atleast 2 ft. Covering in front because it gets HOT there. Running 475° the rear floor and wall is in the 80° range but above stove level it goes to 100° range. My walls and floor are masonary but if I had a floor like yours I would insulate it as best you can from the stove. Warming in front of it after a cold day outside your clothes get that fresh out of a dryer smell. If you plan on wood in shoulders DS sells a T with removable Baro so you can cap it, get it but get a Baro no matter what. This thing runs. Make sure you have a minimum load filled to the steel separating the fire brick which will be @75lbs. It does a good job with both wood and coal to keep you warm.

dunedainranger

Post by dunedainranger » Thu. Feb. 11, 2021 8:56 pm

Just making sure I understand you correctly. When you say "T" you mean thermometer, and "barro" as in barometer? Otherwise, I'm not sure what you would mean.
Do you mind having to shovel instead of having a hopper? I read on here guys found they didn't like that about this stove.

HandFire

Post by HandFire » Thu. Feb. 11, 2021 9:49 pm

The T is a piece of stove pipe with a side hole that has a removable barometric damper so you can install a cap when burning wood. DS sells it as one unit. As far as a thermometer goes I stick mine right in front of the stove pipe on top of the stove. DS states under 600°. I personally like to shovel and even load 2 different coal sizes sometimes to fine tune the burn. This stove shines with it's flexibility and is sort a jack of all trades but master of none. Ideally you tend every 12 to 14 hours. 2 hods make things easier.

dunedainranger

Post by dunedainranger » Fri. Feb. 12, 2021 5:13 am

Oh okay. Sorry, I've only ever had an old, barebones Schrader wood stove, so I'm unaccustomed to some of these terms.
Good info to know. Thank you again, Handfire.

HandFire

Post by HandFire » Fri. Feb. 12, 2021 9:16 am

I just looked at my DS paper work and they say corner install needs a 9" clearance from combustibles. Out of my own curiosity I broke out the stick rule. The 110 is 32" square roughly with the big basement sides so adding 9" per side gives you 50" needed across the corner. Now from the corner to that line is roughly 25", add 32" for stove and then 24" for safe floor protection. That's 81" from the corner to a line between the walls or @ 66" along each wall from the corner. Make a cardboard cutout and place it there to visualize how you want your hearth before you start. It also says 18" clearance for flue. Maybe this answers your original question better.

dunedainranger

Post by dunedainranger » Sat. Feb. 20, 2021 1:00 pm

Hello, sorry for such a late reply. Been a wild start to the year. My wife had an emergency c-section and my son came a little early, so you could say I've been busy.
Anyways, I appreciate you laying everything out. Now the only thing that I'm a little confused about, you said 24" from front of stove out for safe protection, but the pamphlet says 48". Maybe I misunderstood you, but I figured I'd just ask in case I made a mistake.

HandFire

Post by HandFire » Sat. Feb. 20, 2021 4:20 pm

That 48" would be for walls and furniture. The above post was to give you a starting point for laying out. Any dimensions you see would be minimum clearances which I would expand so you can work around the stove. How much is up to you depending on the room size. Ultimately if this is to be inspected it is your local authority having jurisdiction. Your hearth is going to have to be larger than your original thinking.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”