Looking for some help/advice

Straick

Post by Straick » Sat. Jan. 16, 2021 7:03 pm

Good and bad news.
Might as well do the bad first, the manometer that I was going to wall mount needs to be replaced. The tube somehow got broken, so it's of no use now.
Now, the good news. I pulled the mpd and put in a barometric damper instead. So far it seems to be working beautifully. Gusting winds and the stove stayed where I wanted, and burned less coal over 12 hours than before.
Once I make arrangements for new wall mount manometer(they can't be delivered to a PO box due to the fluid), what amount of draft should I aim for on this style of stove?

fig
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF360
Hand Fed Coal Stove: T.O.M (Warm Morning converted to baseburner by Steve) Round Oak 1917 Door model O-3, Warm Morning 400, Warm Morning 524, Warm Morning 414,Florence No.77, Warm Morning 523-b
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 7.1/DS Machine basement stove/ Harman SF1500
Baseburners & Antiques: Renown Parlor stove 87B
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous/anthracite
Other Heating: Harman Accentra, enviro omega, Vermont Ironworks Elm stove, Quadrafire Mt Vernon, Logwood stove, Sotz barrel stove,

Post by fig » Sat. Jan. 16, 2021 7:08 pm

It’s similar to a warm morning and they suggest .06. My Clayton also suggests .06. I don’t know if that’s coincidence or if that’s a general starting point.

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anth.
Other Heating: none

Post by KingCoal » Sat. Jan. 16, 2021 9:02 pm

Original sales literature says -.02 baro setting for the cabinet warm mornings

fig
Hand Fed Coal Stove: T.O.M (Warm Morning converted to baseburner by Steve) Round Oak 1917 Door model O-3, Warm Morning 400, Warm Morning 524, Warm Morning 414,Florence No.77, Warm Morning 523-b
Other Heating: Harman Accentra, enviro omega, Vermont Ironworks Elm stove, Quadrafire Mt Vernon, Logwood stove, Sotz barrel stove,

Post by fig » Sat. Jan. 16, 2021 10:02 pm

Lol. I guess that’s why I was burning through so much coal.

Straick

Post by Straick » Thu. Jan. 28, 2021 8:18 am

Quick update.
Got a new manometer, and it's installed and working. The baro starts to flutter at .05, and I reinstalled the mpd.
After stoking, I fully close the mpd(my ealier problem was closing the primary air too much) after the fresh coal is going nicely, and am holding .02 above the coal bed with the mpd closed.
My stack temp now sits at between 150 and 175, with the stove temp sitting at about 350 to 400(for some reason it just likes to sit in this area). Unfortunately, a magic heat isn't doable due to not enough straight pipe between the wall and stove.

It's amazing at how a few small changes can cut fuel burn down. Right now it's looking like it cut coal usage to between 40 and 60 lbs a day, and my place is still nice and warm. We'll see if these changes affect the ash buildup problem.

Radically different from wood, but I am liking the lower attention requirements, and the house is warmer than it was with wood.

fig

Post by fig » Thu. Jan. 28, 2021 12:22 pm

Might cut down on clinkers too if you were getting them.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”