Harman Mark 111 grates

LeeO
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman Mark 111

Post by LeeO » Sun. Jan. 10, 2021 10:52 am

New to this forum. Been using our Harman Mark 111 since 1989. Having an issue when shaking the stove this season. Grates getting stuck with partially burned coal. Finally let fire go out and noticed that the front grate is higher than the other two. And when shaking the grate it stick when they grates are towards the front. Is it time to replace the grates

TIA

fig
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF360
Hand Fed Coal Stove: T.O.M (Warm Morning converted to baseburner by Steve) Round Oak 1917 Door model O-3, Warm Morning 400, Warm Morning 524, Warm Morning 414,Florence No.77, Warm Morning 523-b
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 7.1/DS Machine basement stove/ Harman SF1500
Baseburners & Antiques: Renown Parlor stove 87B
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous/anthracite
Other Heating: Harman Accentra, enviro omega, Vermont Ironworks Elm stove, Quadrafire Mt Vernon, Logwood stove, Sotz barrel stove,

Post by fig » Sun. Jan. 10, 2021 11:03 am

I had grates warped on the DS basement stove but they were touching and wouldn’t rock. I just used a grinder with a cut off wheel on it and ran it in between the grates that were touching until I had plenty of clearance and they rocked well. There is a little more gap where the grate has bowed and some coal gets through there when rocking. It seems to still work ok. Cheaper then new grates.

waytomany?s
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark II
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Looking
Baseburners & Antiques: Looking
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: newmac wood/coal combo furnace

Post by waytomany?s » Tue. Jan. 12, 2021 5:30 pm

Higher by how much? Only at 1 end? Or along entire length? Could you post pics?

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”