Clayton won’t run right after ash door spin damper install

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anth.
Other Heating: none

Post by KingCoal » Tue. Jan. 05, 2021 7:12 pm

Lightning wrote:
Mon. Jan. 04, 2021 6:12 pm
What? :what: :lol:
Seems the easy fix is to just go back to using the primary above the ash door and the original stove geometry

Kapeach ? ;)

fig
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF360
Hand Fed Coal Stove: T.O.M (Warm Morning converted to baseburner by Steve) Round Oak 1917 Door model O-3, Warm Morning 400, Warm Morning 524, Warm Morning 414,Florence No.77, Warm Morning 523-b
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 7.1/DS Machine basement stove/ Harman SF1500
Baseburners & Antiques: Renown Parlor stove 87B
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous/anthracite
Other Heating: Harman Accentra, enviro omega, Vermont Ironworks Elm stove, Quadrafire Mt Vernon, Logwood stove, Sotz barrel stove,

Post by fig » Tue. Jan. 05, 2021 10:18 pm

Yep that’s what I did. Running better but still have something going on. It’s not drafting like it was. I used to have to keep one mpd 3/4 closed with the baro to get the draft down to .06. Now I have to leave it all the way open to maintain .06. We are having a lot of fog but oat it in mid 20’s. Maybe it will improve when fog is gone. If not I’ll have to get on the roof and investigate the chimney

fig
Hand Fed Coal Stove: T.O.M (Warm Morning converted to baseburner by Steve) Round Oak 1917 Door model O-3, Warm Morning 400, Warm Morning 524, Warm Morning 414,Florence No.77, Warm Morning 523-b
Other Heating: Harman Accentra, enviro omega, Vermont Ironworks Elm stove, Quadrafire Mt Vernon, Logwood stove, Sotz barrel stove,

Post by fig » Tue. Jan. 05, 2021 10:18 pm

Came home to a nearly extinguished fire. Well I found part of the problem. Clinkers galore! I pulled two buckets of clinkers out of the stove. Tsc coal combined with learning new stove I reckon. I hope it’s mostly the learning part and not the coal. I think it might be the coal though. I recall I had the same loss of draft after a while in the DS. I just went to the Clayton from there. Haven’t cleaned out the DS yet. I’ll try to look in it tomorrow.

Still isn’t pulling like it was. Maybe the bit sooted things up a bit.

fig

Post by fig » Thu. Jan. 07, 2021 12:56 pm

Well I just noticed a crack. Maybe that’s part of the problem. It’s on the face of the stove diagonal from lower left corner. It’s about 3 inches. Looks like I have a repair to make.

Attachments

fig

Post by fig » Thu. Jan. 07, 2021 1:38 pm

Well I just drilled a hole in the end of it and welded it up. No change in draft. I wonder if there are some internal cracks? I’ll have to pull the covers off at some point and check. I’ve read posts about the face cracking on Claytons. I think Doug mentions it.

Jjones6840
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Hot blast 1357m
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: Electric/heatpump

Post by Jjones6840 » Thu. Jan. 07, 2021 8:52 pm

With my hot blast it takes a few days to get ash in places that you can’t see for air to come thru, then it starts to run good. I always know when I do a good clean out the stove won’t run well for a few days

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”