Need pictures: Banking bars in your stove

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Fri. Jan. 01, 2021 11:09 am

Stoves with banking bars...any stove.

Vermont Castings Vigilant II
Harmon/Legacy TLC 2000, TL300,TL2.0
Glacier Bay/Gibraltor

I would like to see some detailed pictures of banking bars removed from your stoves. (Front, sides, ends) Some measurements would also be nice.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Fri. Jan. 01, 2021 11:23 am

Gee, thinking banking bars are hard at work now doing what banking bar were made for...kinda hard to get much details.
Good news is that parts lists for lots of stoves show exploded views that could reveal some details...

Bill, you running out of coal yet???

Hounds51
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 2 Legacy TLC 2000 one in the upper and 1 in the lower part of the house
Coal Size/Type: Wood and pea, nut ,stove and egg coal

Post by Hounds51 » Fri. Jan. 01, 2021 11:56 am

Hoytman wrote:
Fri. Jan. 01, 2021 11:09 am
Stoves with banking bars...any stove.

Vermont Castings Vigilant II
Harmon/Legacy TLC 2000, TL300,TL2.0
Glacier Bay/Gibraltor

I would like to see some detailed pictures of banking bars removed from your stoves. (Front, sides, ends) Some measurements would also be nice.
Sorry I can't help you as of now, but as McGiever said , there are in use now. The harman TLC bars are pretty straight forward as they are bar stock which is 1 1/2" wide by 3/8 " thick by 18" long. That's the easy part. The brackets are were they get tricky. I took out the brackets once, as the bars didn't want to fit into them easily. I had to file then open somewhat so that the bars would slide easier into them. I remove the upper bar in shoulder season, as it makes loading wood much easier.
Getting back to the banking bar brackets. They are some what dovetailed into the stove body and are a bitch to get in or out. I am not quite sure what you are trying to modify, but you may be able to drill and tap fasten some type of modified brackets.
What I found that was more important was to build up my firebrick into the back and sides, so I could get a better, deeper coal bed bank into my firebox. Hope some of this helps you.

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t

Post by Hoytman » Fri. Jan. 01, 2021 12:43 pm

McGiever wrote:
Fri. Jan. 01, 2021 11:23 am
Gee, thinking banking bars are hard at work now doing what banking bar were made for...kinda hard to get much details.
Good news is that parts lists for lots of stoves show exploded views that could reveal some details...

Bill, you running out of coal yet???
You’re right, but I thought I’d get a jump on things before summer. LOL!

Steve had made a comment about banking bars with my double doors and it got me to thinking. I’ll take a look at some manuals.

fig
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF360
Hand Fed Coal Stove: T.O.M (Warm Morning converted to baseburner by Steve) Round Oak 1917 Door model O-3, Warm Morning 400, Warm Morning 524, Warm Morning 414,Florence No.77, Warm Morning 523-b
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 7.1/DS Machine basement stove/ Harman SF1500
Baseburners & Antiques: Renown Parlor stove 87B
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous/anthracite
Other Heating: Harman Accentra, enviro omega, Vermont Ironworks Elm stove, Quadrafire Mt Vernon, Logwood stove, Sotz barrel stove,

Post by fig » Fri. Jan. 01, 2021 4:09 pm

Weld in some angle iron tabs for brackets and slide some heavy steel plates in. Maybe drill and tap for some bolts where the plates stack up for gaps if you need gaps between the plates. I wouldn’t imagine it would matter if the plates rattle around in the angle a little bit for ease of removal. However, I’ve never done it so just thinking out loud.

Seems there was a member who had a Gibraltar he very heavily modified that put a deeper banking bar in. Can’t remember the handle.

Aha here it is.

Post by ohabanero - Heavy built box stoves...Gibraltar/Glacier Bay...others

Hoytman

Post by Hoytman » Fri. Jan. 01, 2021 4:18 pm

Actually, Steve’s comments were along the lines of being able to see the glow through the glass doors. I want to stick with that theme if I do this. Doing so would not only allow me to see that nice red glow but I am thinking would allow for even more coal in the stove. This would put me close to 80-100 lbs of coal in my stove. When I start up I am going to way exactly what I am putting in it. I’m thinking the see-thru style banking bar of these stoves would put me nearer to 100 lbs. or coal in the stove. Not sure if you can load to the top of the banking bars or not to accomplish this, or if I should.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Fri. Jan. 01, 2021 4:52 pm

I dont know about the see through part but the one time I did it I just stuck a piece of about 1/2" thick steel plate in front, wedged in somehow. Im not much for getting all frilly with things though, as long as they function is all I care. I did like having a glass door to watch my fire while listening to a radio though. I liked that orange glow in that room at night too.

Hounds51
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 2 Legacy TLC 2000 one in the upper and 1 in the lower part of the house
Coal Size/Type: Wood and pea, nut ,stove and egg coal

Post by Hounds51 » Fri. Jan. 01, 2021 6:13 pm

Hoytman wrote:
Fri. Jan. 01, 2021 4:18 pm
Actually, Steve’s comments were along the lines of being able to see the glow through the glass doors. I want to stick with that theme if I do this. Doing so would not only allow me to see that nice red glow but I am thinking would allow for even more coal in the stove. This would put me close to 80-100 lbs of coal in my stove. When I start up I am going to way exactly what I am putting in it. I’m thinking the see-thru style banking bar of these stoves would put me nearer to 100 lbs. or coal in the stove. Not sure if you can load to the top of the banking bars or not to accomplish this, or if I should.
Actually the way the TLC is set up, you can load up to the top of the loading bars. Since I am primarily burning pea coal, it's just a little too small to keep from going between the bars and the door. I found a way around this by placing large nut or small stove coal between the bars and the coal bed, thus damming up the final shovels of coal. The reason they put these bars in was to keep the coal from falling out when you open up the door. So if you are burning pea coal be careful with the banking bars.
Oh and by the way, I looked for some exploded drawings for the bank bars on the TLC 2000, but could not find any.
Last edited by Hounds51 on Fri. Jan. 01, 2021 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hoytman

Post by Hoytman » Fri. Jan. 01, 2021 6:15 pm

Mostly nut, or nut with pea on top. Haven’t burned strictly pea coal yet. May not. Would like to try some stove coal but don’t know where I can get it locally except maybe Hitzer or Champaign coal and stove.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Fri. Jan. 01, 2021 11:42 pm

Link will show a banking bar:
Banking Bar

Holdencoal

Post by Holdencoal » Sat. Jan. 02, 2021 7:35 am

Attachments