Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark II
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Looking
Baseburners & Antiques: Looking
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: newmac wood/coal combo furnace

Post by waytomany?s » Wed. Mar. 03, 2021 9:07 pm

mstich wrote:
Mon. Mar. 01, 2021 11:13 pm
Got side tracked. A Pickup Truck bounced off the back of our new SUV that was sitting in our driveway and then continued on to our front porch taking the porch roof down with it on to the top of his truck. Not a good day for me.
:no1: I guess that's a no on the luck part. Hope everyone is ok.

mstich
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Newmac wood/coal/oil

Post by mstich » Wed. Mar. 03, 2021 9:36 pm

Well I bought some Kingsford Matchlight Charcoal and next time I start the fire I will try that to get it going.

But with help I got here I was able to start it without much trouble the last time. And like they said once you get a full deep hot bed it will stay going for a good 10-12 hours so I did not have to restart it again.

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Wed. Mar. 03, 2021 9:44 pm

Oh man! Sorry to hear that.

mstich

Post by mstich » Wed. Mar. 03, 2021 9:56 pm

Yeah whole porch separated from house and lying on the porch floor. 10x40 feet of porch roof and then the fire department had to cut it up in sections to get it off his pickup truck to get him out.

SUV is at the collision shop and so far the estimate is 8k and might go higher when they take stuff apart and see what's underneath. SUV only had 722 miles on it, that's how new it was :(

Having a hard time getting a company that will rebuild the porch so far. They are either to busy for a few months or they only do roofing. But I will eventually find someone, as for now I have debris all over the front of the house. Oh and the guy only has $25k property damage limits and this will cost a good bit more then that with SUV and house.

So I had to file the claim with my own insurance and will have to pay the $1500 deductible to get it all fixed. Then my insurance will go for the money from his insurance. After all is said and done I might get back 50% of my deductible and if I want I can sue the driver in small claims for the other $750 if he won't pay it so I am not out of pocket anything.

waytomany?s

Post by waytomany?s » Sat. Feb. 26, 2022 5:39 pm

Read the manual. Yes it has to be all the way open, to the right. You also have to have the coal plate into he front of the furnace to direct the air correctly. There was a thread going here I believe last fall, use the search box and read that thread. Maybe some info there to help you.

waytomany?s

Post by waytomany?s » Tue. Mar. 01, 2022 7:01 am

So the thread I mentioned was yours, did you get the coal burning figured out? If you did go back and revive that thread so anyone else searching for answers in the future can get a complete picture of how to solve any problems.

mstich

Post by mstich » Tue. Mar. 01, 2022 7:37 am

Another question a year later:

I have the Newmac CL115/170G multi fuel furnace.

If I want to burn Coal, but have the Oil kick in when coal fire gets to low what should that draft control slider be set at?

Says Oil to the left and Coal to the right, but what if I want it to burn both as needed like I said above.

If I leave it on the coal side so coal can get enough draft what effect does it have on the Oil side. Does it just make the oil work harder cause the draft cold air is going into the air chamber?

Should I maybe set the slider in the middle?

Once it gets cold enough and the Oil side kicks back on it turns off the draft fan, but when the Oil kicks off the draft fan just turns back on again trying to heat up a already near dead coal fire. Thus blowing cold air into the furnace.

I can't find a answer to this on the web.

mstich

Post by mstich » Tue. Mar. 01, 2022 7:38 am

Transferred this to here.

Post by waytomany?s » Sat. Feb. 26, 2022 5:39 pm

Read the manual. Yes it has to be all the way open, to the right. You also have to have the coal plate into he front of the furnace to direct the air correctly. There was a thread going here I believe last fall, use the search box and read that thread. Maybe some info there to help you.

mstich

Post by mstich » Tue. Mar. 01, 2022 7:49 am

Yes and I can get the fire to burn fine now with the thanks to the people here that helped. And I know about the slider draft control being far right for Coal and far Left for Oil that's easy as it's right on front of furnace.

But my question was about if it mattered where exactly to set that Slider if my intention is to burn Coal and then the Oil to take over if Coal heat was to low. I want to get the most out of the Oil if Coal goes low. So does it matter where I have the slider as in the middle it says "Minimum". So if I intend to have Oil take over do I set it somewhere else cause I can not always run down to the basement to change Slider back to Oil side when I know Coal heat is running out.

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Tue. Mar. 01, 2022 7:55 am

You can't burn both, it isn't designed to do that and it would be a bad idea if you could. The fuels are way to dissimilar to even attempt it. I would check the wiring as the coal side should not fire when switched to oil.

waytomany?s

Post by waytomany?s » Tue. Mar. 01, 2022 7:19 pm

You have to have it to the right for burning coal. I play with the adjustment when burning wood for the exact reason you stated. To slow the fire and not waste the oil when it kicks on. Unfortunately, you need all that air to burn coal. The air being sucked in is your idle fire air. If you close it down, it'll take forever to ramp up when the thermostat kicks the fan on. Now having said that, that's the way the manual reads. Real life is slightly different. How did you do burning coal? Did you have it going for the winter or was it just an occasional type of thing?

mstich

Post by mstich » Tue. Mar. 01, 2022 7:26 pm

ah, I see what your saying now, thanks

And yes I am leaving it on the far right for Coal as it seems to be the correct way to do it. Then if need be the oil will take over if the Temp gets low enough.

Again thx for the help.

mstich

Post by mstich » Tue. Mar. 01, 2022 7:29 pm

Oh I been using Coal cause of course the price of Oil, don't have a choice as coal only went up here in PA about $10 a Ton from last year. And oil last year was $1.55 a gallon, now it's $3.20 a gallon last time I checked 2 weeks ago. Only have 130 gallons of Oil left and want to save it for when I need it.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”