Coal smell??

430Lloyd
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Channing
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by 430Lloyd » Sun. Nov. 22, 2020 4:17 pm

Hello I have been running a Alaskan Channing for 8 years with no issues, and a wood stove 4 years prior. Now I have a Hitzer 82 and when ever the wind blows just right- the air flow reverses for a split second pushing out flue gasses into the house- just enough to smell and drive my wife nuts! I blocked off the barometric damper - increased my mono meter to .1 so I have draft just when the wind comes up......any ideas? Help the wife wants me to take it out and go back to rice!

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sun. Nov. 22, 2020 4:32 pm

Are you sure it is a draft reversal/stop and not a puff-back from the stove? Those stoves are notorious for coal-gas collecting above the coal and creating a "puff" when it lights off.

430Lloyd

Post by 430Lloyd » Sun. Nov. 22, 2020 4:46 pm

Well I’m not sure? I has standing by the barometric damper - a gust blew and I actually felt the heat come out the damper. I sealed it off, and the next gust blew back threw the intake.....

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Sun. Nov. 22, 2020 5:26 pm

430Lloyd wrote:
Sun. Nov. 22, 2020 4:17 pm
I blocked off the barometric damper - increased my mono meter to .1 so I have draft just when the wind comes up......
That doesn't seem like a reasonable solution. The baro is needed to keep the stove tame, otherwise your heat output may yo yo. Tell us about the chimney. Is it higher than the peak of your house? Do you notice the oder when the wind is blowing a specific direction??

There are chimney caps that help deal with wind influence.

430Lloyd

Post by 430Lloyd » Sun. Nov. 22, 2020 6:16 pm

The chimney is not higher than the roof - but it is 2’ above at the 10’ mark- the really weird part is I never had an issue till now with the new to me stove. I’ll attach a picture of my chimney.

Attachments

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Sun. Nov. 22, 2020 6:23 pm

430Lloyd wrote:
Sun. Nov. 22, 2020 4:46 pm
I has standing by the barometric damper - a gust blew and I actually felt the heat come out the damper.
Did you notice if any doors or windows were open?

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sun. Nov. 22, 2020 6:24 pm

The stainless chimney is likely getting downdrafts from the roof to the left.

Your wood stove had a much higher stack temperature, and probably created enough draft to overcome the poor chimney setup. The stoker stove and it's forced combustion air was also able to make do. Now you have a stove with a low stack temperature that depends on the chimney draft to keep the gasses moving in the right direction.

Unfortunately I think you need to add height to that stainless chimney, or go back to a stoker.

What is using the old chimney that goes up through the middle of the house? That one would be ideal for the Hitzer.

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Sun. Nov. 22, 2020 6:36 pm

Does the Hitzer 82 require a chimney of greater diameter than your previous stove?

430Lloyd

Post by 430Lloyd » Sun. Nov. 22, 2020 6:40 pm

The old chimney a single flue for the oil furnace. So if I add a section of 3-4’ I might be ok. That would be a simple enough fix. I do not think there was any doors open at the time.

The previous was a 6” the Hitzer has a 7” so I necked it down at the stove. Hitzer said that wouldn’t cause an issue.

snuffy
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman SF250 & Mark III backup
Other Heating: Oil Hot Water

Post by snuffy » Sun. Nov. 22, 2020 7:08 pm

If you remember the day the odor occurred check the wind direction from that date. I'm betting the gasses were blowing against the roof. I have the same happening when the winds are from the East/Southeast and low pressure days. Most weather sites have historical data for your general location. If that coincides then all you need to do is pay attention to weather forecasts indicating that general direction and save some money on rebuilding.

430Lloyd

Post by 430Lloyd » Sun. Nov. 22, 2020 7:28 pm

We have had mild weather in CNY - I just wanted to get it fired up and work out the bugs. I’ll have to do a little digging- thanks

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Mon. Nov. 23, 2020 4:55 am

I agree with a wind coming from over that high peak causing turbulance problems for the chimney.

And yes, we've had some mild days here in CNY, but we've had windy days, too, with winds changing direction as the warm and cold fronts alternate through.

Plus, as the weather warms up your chimney draft is going to get weaker. So you'll need to open the dampers a bit more, compared to when it's colder, to allow the fire to run hotter and make a stronger draft, or extend the chimney.

Paul

Formulabruce
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark 1 Goldenfire
Coal Size/Type: BLASHAK Nut and Stove size
Other Heating: Blower from a gas furnace if I need to move air, no heat

Post by Formulabruce » Mon. Nov. 23, 2020 12:00 pm

I have a barometer where I can see it when adjusting the stove. Obviously wind, and its direction affects draft. Barometric pressure
also affects draft. When barometer goes Down ( precipitation) the draft INCREASES. Higher pressure ( Barometer going up) means LESS draft. Everyone's topography and chimney is different, so its hard to say " this will work" as you'll have to try out a few things probably. Good luck !

430Lloyd

Post by 430Lloyd » Tue. Nov. 24, 2020 6:02 am

Well I ordered another 4’ of pipe, and another roof brace as well- it should be here tomorrow. I went to reserve a 50’ lift at the rental place and they “just took it in to get fixed- should be back in a week or so.” So much for getting it done this weekend!

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Tue. Nov. 24, 2020 8:39 am

430Lloyd wrote:
Tue. Nov. 24, 2020 6:02 am
Well I ordered another 4’ of pipe, and another roof brace as well- it should be here tomorrow. I went to reserve a 50’ lift at the rental place and they “just took it in to get fixed- should be back in a week or so.” So much for getting it done this weekend!
Gonna be yucky CNY weather anyway. :D

Paul

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”